Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-08, 4:59pm

Default How to create HOT PINK?

Ok, I need to ask the EXPERTS here on LE how to create HOT PINK beads? I have been reading and searching and reading and searching and I am still confused. I even emailed my idol artist (Cassie Donlen) to ask her what she uses since her hot pink beads are beautiful, but she didnt comment back yet. So could anyone help me and share some pictures using the colors you suggest? Thanks!

Tabatha

"Its never to late to be what you might have been!"
Old 2011-06-08, 5:08pm

Double Helix Clio. Lots of info and color suggestions in the Clio thread in the gallery. These are striking orange/clear/clio, haze burned off and slightly reduced/clear.

eta- no way am I an expert on anything. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-08, 5:09pm
Formerly SirWatson

Hi Tabatha! Well, hot pink is a color that's missing from the the 104 palette of colors. The color Cassie uses in her beads is Bullseye pink, which has a COE of 90.

The closest way to get a hot pink is to super heat the snot out of EDP (evil purple) and then cool it really quick (using graphite or brass). It will produce a nice fuchsia color, however, you have to be careful for devitrification with EDP. That color likes to be either hot or cold....not warm.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Karla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
Old 2011-06-08, 5:13pm
I'm meeeeelting

You can also encase white with rubino and pull it into stringer for a pretty bright pink.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-06-08, 5:45pm

WOW! That sounds difficult. The beads are beautiful though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Double Helix Clio. Lots of info and color suggestions in the Clio thread in the gallery. These are striking orange/clear/clio, haze burned off and slightly reduced/clear.

eta- no way am I an expert on anything. lol

Old 2011-06-08, 5:50pm

Can I only use COE 90 with COE 90? I am truely showing how NEW I am huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solana View Post
Hi Tabatha! Well, hot pink is a color that's missing from the the 104 palette of colors. The color Cassie uses in her beads is Bullseye pink, which has a COE of 90.

The closest way to get a hot pink is to super heat the snot out of EDP (evil purple) and then cool it really quick (using graphite or brass). It will produce a nice fuchsia color, however, you have to be careful for devitrification with EDP. That color likes to be either hot or cold....not warm.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Karla

Old 2011-06-08, 5:54pm

Yes ... only 90 with 90 (and 104 with 104), etc.

Question for the peeps ... Can you layer light yellow oover red and get a hot pink in soft glass?? I've heard this is the what to get popping pinks from boro ... haven't tried it yet with boro or soft glass.

Old 2011-06-08, 5:57pm

Can anyone post some pictures of Rubino over white, bulls eye pink and EDP? Then that way I can get an idea of what the end result will possibly be(given that I can do it, LOL)? Does anyone recommend where to purchase these colors or does anyone have a few rods they would be willing to part with? Id rather buy a couple of each color to practice with then buy a bulk amount before I know which will give me the best results.

Last edited by TabathaD; 2011-06-08 at 6:01pm.
Old 2011-06-08, 6:05pm

Tabatha ... my go to for by the rod pricing is Howaco. Jamey Lynn is a sweetie and will take good care of you. She carries most of the soft glass lines and has just started carrying Momka's boro as well.

I often get single rods from her to "try the color" before I make a bigger investment.

I have a good stash of Bullseye but I'm not sure what pink is viewed as a good hot pink. I really like Petal Pink but wouldn't consider that a hot pink unless I layered some other transparent over it.

Old 2011-06-08, 6:10pm
Formerly SirWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabathaD View Post
Can anyone post some pictures of Rubino over white, bulls eye pink and EDP? Then that way I can get an idea of what the end result will possibly be(given that I can do it, LOL)? Does anyone recommend where to purchase these colors or does anyone have a few rods they would be willing to part with? Id rather buy a couple of each color to practice with then buy a bulk amount before I know which will give me the best results.
Here are some EDP beads I super heated and cooled with a graphite marble mold. You can see the pink where I focused the heat the most.

Karla

<><
Old 2011-06-08, 6:11pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
I would recommend Donna at The Mandrel for by the rod pricing. it is where I buy.
Old 2011-06-08, 6:13pm
Formerly SirWatson

Pink Opalescent is my favorite pink from BE:

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/product...work-each.html

Karla

<><
Old 2011-06-08, 6:21pm
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach Raspberry Opal is a nice pink and comes in 104 and 96. Creation is Messy has some lovely 104 pinks, Gelly and Rose Quartz and Desert Pink are some. Effetre makes a dark pink that is quite nice.

For a beginner, the easiest way to get pinks would be to buy a pink frit blend and use it on white, pastel pink or clear.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-06-08, 6:28pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Reichenbach Pink Lady. COE 104

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-06-08, 6:36pm

These are BE I think Striking Cranberry (is that what it is called, or just striking pink) over pink
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-06-08, 6:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Tabatha ... my go to for by the rod pricing is Howaco. Jamey Lynn is a sweetie and will take good care of you. She carries most of the soft glass lines and has just started carrying Momka's boro as well.

I often get single rods from her to "try the color" before I make a bigger investment.

I have a good stash of Bullseye but I'm not sure what pink is viewed as a good hot pink. I really like Petal Pink but wouldn't consider that a hot pink unless I layered some other transparent over it.
Howaco is were I first bought my glass. I think I got 1 of every color effetre has. Jamey is great and has great by the rod prices. Shipping isn't a lot either but sometimes takes a little longer than some of the other vendors that charge more for postage. So it's really about how fast you want you glass or how great prices you want. But I would highly recommend her!!
Old 2011-06-08, 7:01pm

Quote:
WOW! That sounds difficult. The beads are beautiful though.
Thanks. It's not all that hard though. I think you'd probably have to layer anyway to get a hot pink with any glass. BE does have some awesome pinks!

Old 2011-06-08, 7:05pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post

Hey Judith .... Did you do anything special to get the bright pink? I have used Pink Lady but didn't get this gorgeous color!!
Old 2011-06-08, 7:16pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Sorry I don't have pictures of these beads,they were in my old computer,but here's the link to them in my Etsy.Rubino over white.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/58955962...beads-flamenco

Old 2011-06-08, 7:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
These are BE I think Striking Cranberry (is that what it is called, or just striking pink) over pink
looks like Cranberry Striker over Petal Pink.

Very Pretty.

Old 2011-06-08, 7:19pm

OMG I'm in Luuuuuuuuve!!!

Quote:

Old 2011-06-08, 9:16pm

Wow, those are beautiful. I LOVE the color of those. Amazing!
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

Old 2011-06-08, 9:23pm

Very beautiful. You all are making me so envious. I cant wait to try to make some of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Sorry I don't have pictures of these beads,they were in my old computer,but here's the link to them in my Etsy.Rubino over white.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/58955962...beads-flamenco

Old 2011-06-08, 9:45pm
><>

If you want to know about pink, about color, about glass, and need some place
to start, then go here http://www.coloraddiction.com/
http://coloraddictionblog.blogspot.c...ent-pinks.html
You can pour over the blog about color, find many links to wonderful lampwork resources,
and purchase tutorials from very gifted lampworkers.
There is even a "pink" tutorial.
Kandice is like the Empress of pink, lol.
I think Sarah ( someone please pop in with her last name) has a pink tutorial as well.
Sometimes you can save yourself a lot of wasted material by standing on the shoulders
of others who have made their hard won knowledge available as these artists have.
Good luck with your search for your perfect hot pink
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann

Last edited by jhana; 2011-06-08 at 9:48pm.
Old 2011-06-08, 9:56pm
Focus?

I just added this glass to my next purchase! Beautiful color, beautiful beads!

Quote:

A-62

Old 2011-06-08, 10:30pm
Formerly FishBulb

Judith, is there a 96 Pink Lady also? I have some 104 Reichenbach Pink Lady and it's more of a purple, certainly not that bright fuchsia you've got.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-06-09, 4:48am

Miriam must have been channelling our discussion. She posted this link to her website today.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=197534

Editted to remove Clio comment. She is using Clio in this tutorial.

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2011-06-09 at 5:12am.
Old 2011-06-09, 11:15am

I like reichenbach pearl pink for pink beads.

has a nice shimmer in it also.

Old 2011-06-09, 11:33am

Sarah Hornik's Think Pink tutorial:
http://www.glassbysarah.com/ebooks/thinkpink/
Old 2011-06-09, 1:01pm
Ad astra per aspera

I'm glad this came up! I was at Lane Bryant a few days ago and saw a mostly-cheesy necklace that had two incredibly hot pink glass beads on it. I've never, ever seen a glass color like that before! Judith's Reichenbach Pink Lady is pretty close, but this wasn't as dense. I need to go back and take a picture, if they'll let me.

Meanwhile, I'm scoring some of that Pink Lady! Thanks for sharing, Judith!