LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-23, 5:17am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Default Colors that do not like to be encased...

I thought we might need some kind of a ''list'' of colors that do not like to be encased! Might avoid a lot of headaches (and dissapointment) to many of us!

So, please, add your discoveries and your input!

Here's the list of what people have been posting in the thread so far:

CIM Kryptonite do not like to be encased (ask me how I know! )
Czech Denim and Smokey Topaz (on white core)
Moretti/Effetre Opaque Yellows, Reds and Oranges (To avoid cracks, make a small clear base, thin layer of color and encase)
Moretti/Effetre Opaque Yellows, Reds and Oranges (encased in Moretti/ Effetre Rubino)
Hit or Miss on Opal Yellow
CIM Celadon
CIM Transparents (seems to be a trouble for some)
Moretti/ Effetre Rubino (seems to be a trouble for some)
CIM Rainforest (encased in CIM Cirrus)
CiM Commando
Moretti/ Effetre Silver Pink
Moretti/ Effetre Coral
CIM Tuxedo
Lauscha Pink
CIM Lapis (encased in Moretti/Effetre Lavender Blue)
CIM Rubino (Cranberry) encased in DH Clear
Beadmaking 104 Violet Nights
Beadmaking 104 Silver Rattan
Beadmaking 104 Caramel Apple
CIM Jade Palace (does not like to be encased with Effetre super clear, Effetre regular clear, Zephyr, Aether)
CIM Gelly Sty (cracks can be avoid with clear core)
Red Carrot Sparkle and Tangerine Sparkle (Clear core is recommended as well)
TAG Blue Realm (do not like to be encased in Effetre Super Clear) It's sneaky, cracks overnight!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ElizabethCreations; 2012-06-13 at 5:21am.
Old 2012-05-23, 6:51am
lurking on LE since 2005

while it's tempting to use pretty czech transparent colors like denim and smokey topaz to encase a white core-DON'T. and you can't save yourself by using the czech white as a core, because the COE is different. (like 111?)

The beads don't crack immediately-they wait until you're not looking days later..when you're thinking you aren't having compatibility issues. ha!

For some reason, I've found that moretti yellows, oranges and reds don't love encasing either. I've had hit or miss encasing Opal Yellow-seems to work better when it's not "pressed", which is also true for (dare I say it??) encasing anything with Precision diamond clear. (I like it, sorry)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2012-05-23, 7:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine View Post

For some reason, I've found that moretti yellows, oranges and reds don't love encasing either. I've had hit or miss encasing Opal Yellow-seems to work better when it's not "pressed", which is also true for (dare I say it??) encasing anything with Precision diamond clear. (I like it, sorry)
The yellows, oranges and reds in OPAQUE don't behave nicely when you encase but I have always used the yellow, orange and red transparent without any problems. I put white under them when I really want the color to pop.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2012-05-23, 7:18am
Jacqueline Parkes

In my experience, any CIM transparents do not like to be encased ( by Effetre at least) maybe they are okay with CIM clear?

Old 2012-05-23, 7:28am
Disconnected

We've had a few threads on this theme in the past and each time, it seemed I was the only one who could not use CIM Celadon.
I think it depends on each person's work habits, we all work/garage/anneal in a slightly different way, we use different batches, etc. It's hard to tell for sure what works or doesn't until you try it for yourself.

Old 2012-05-23, 9:22am
Flame Dames Rule!

Effetre yellow, orange and red opaques will encase nicely if you start your bead with a clear base, put a thin layer of the color over that, then encase.

I've had beads crack when I've tried encasing rubino...

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-05-23, 9:31am
what's a senior moment ?

I've been encasing Effetre opaque light red and acid yellow on various backgrounds this week and having no problem at all - knock on wood. To be honest, I didn't realize there was a problem encasing these colors.
The bigger issue for me this week - clears. Another thread - another day.

Old 2012-05-23, 11:10am
lurking on LE since 2005

Sorry I didn't clarify that I meant opaque yellow, red and orange, and yes, I just meant as a general rule, I wouldn't make a big yellow bead, then assume I could encase it with no problems. Definitely works better in moderation

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2012-05-23, 2:39pm

I've had problems encasing rubino too in the past...

Old 2012-05-23, 6:04pm

If last night's beads are any indication, CiM Rainforest. I encased it with CiM Cirrus. Looks like a compatibility crack. Only goes through the Cirrus.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-05-23, 8:07pm

That might just be a problem with the Cirrus. I've gotten a lot of cracks when I've tried to use Cirrus to encase something.
Old 2012-05-23, 8:08pm
offically down under

I have found that you loose the bright purple of EDP if you encase it. It ends up a washed out pink.

Old 2012-05-23, 8:12pm
I like to melt things

I can't successfully encase CiM Commando, Effetre Silver Pink or Effetre Coral.

I encase all of the regular CiM transparents and CiM Kryptonite without any problems, but I have had some problems with some of the Limited Runs (Journey, Mulberry, Jade Palace) but those problems went away when I used just a thin layer over a core of something else instead encasing a thick core.

-
-
Old 2012-05-23, 8:37pm

This kind of goes towards what Jacqueline said about the CIM transparents.....

I have bad luck trying to encase CIM Tuxedo. Always cracks for me. I use Effetre black when I want to encase it.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2012-05-24, 6:44am
Glass-aholic

There is another thread going that I posted pics of coral ESP and red purple encased successfully with cirrus. They are beautiful too.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-05-24, 7:11am

Gosh, I'm still just a newbie, but I haven't had any trouble encasing effetre red, yellow, orange. I like to do encase rainbow sets of beads and if anything has cracked, it's the purple.

Old 2012-05-24, 3:59pm
Queen Tut ;)

What about garaging or annealing for longer, different temps for trouble colors?

I made some red encased beads, I'm pretty sure they were medium red...no cracking issues. They were rather small though. I should write down my compatibility crack issues, but I seem to never repeat anything. I guess I should keep track anyways

Old 2012-05-28, 3:22pm

With Moretti white or any of the alabaster (alabastards?) or opalino colors you should use the 'heat sink' method - what Melanie described. This is a core of your clear, then the finicky glass, decoration, and encasement. Helps make up for viscosity problems.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-05-28, 3:57pm
Lampworkaholic!

Lauscha Pink - fail!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-05-29, 1:25am

I've had some issues with CIM Lapis. I encased it with Effetre lavendar blue and it did not like that...twice.

Last edited by truegem; 2012-05-29 at 1:28am.
Old 2012-05-29, 5:19am
I'm not Barbie.

I made some encased CIM rubino discs over the weekend with DH clear and they all cracked. I used an under layer of clear first too.
Old 2012-05-29, 7:12am

Lot of work, but may I suggest you eventually put all the lovely winning colors in the first post?

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2012-05-29, 8:02am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Yes, I will do that!! Good idea!

Old 2012-05-29, 10:34am
da General

What we took Loren Stump's Butterfly Murrini class, he warned us about using hot colors in the butterflies. The maddening thing is that the cracking doesn't happen until the FIFTH day after you have spent every day making a very complex murrni starting with the lobe the first day, then two halves of one wing the second day, then the entire wing the third, then the entire butterfly the fourth, and when it comes out of the kiln the fifth day, it has incompatibility cracks all over the hot colors.

Loren also mentioned that even if you used a hot color and it didn't crack, the next batch of the same color you got might have issues.

Just thought I'd share that.

Also in my experience, when a color is slightly "off" - being it COE or viscosity - you can usually get away with it on a small bead but the larger you work, the more "off" it gets and compatibility cracks appear.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-05-29, 12:29pm

violet nights
silver rattan
caramel apple

in my experience crack not right away
but a few days or months later.
of course there is always an exception to the rule
I have a few that didn't crack ..yet
Old 2012-05-29, 9:06pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

CIM Jade Palace - does not like to be encased with any of my 4 clears: Effetre super clear, Effetre regular clear, Zephyr, Aether.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-05-30, 6:56am

[quote=Hayley;4010065]What we took Loren Stump's Butterfly Murrini class, he warned us about using hot colors in the butterflies. The maddening thing is that the cracking doesn't happen until the FIFTH day after you have spent every day making a very complex murrni starting with the lobe the first day, then two halves of one wing the second day, then the entire wing the third, then the entire butterfly the fourth, and when it comes out of the kiln the fifth day, it has incompatibility cracks all over the hot colors.

That would make me want to throwup! All that work.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:44pm
Artistically Absorbed

CIM Gelly Sty, always cracks for me if I don't use a clear core, or mix it with clear before encasing...but that was the original batch, just got some of the newer....hopefully that one is better. Red Carrot Sparkle and Tangerine Sparkle are also feisty devils, even though they are on the edge of transluscent but again can be tamed with a clear core.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-06-13, 5:19am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Well, I have learn that TAG Blue Realm is not a fan of encasing either...
And it's sneaky as it cracks during the night while you are sleeping!!

Tags
colors not to encase, encasing problems