LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-02-04, 1:47pm

Hahaha wax on wax off is how I always reference something hard I'm faced with. It has been really hard on my arms and shoulders. So intense and focused, man. It sure makes me giddy to be working glass again even if results are sub par. Thanks so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-02-04, 9:16pm

Default Better than before!

Hi. I don’t post much, but I had to respond to your frustration. I so admire you for going back to lampworking after a long time away, and I’m so glad it’s still energizing you. My humble advice? Don’t even try to do what you did before. Pretend you’re a total newbie, and let your ‘muse’ and style come out on her own. Your beads from ‘before’ are gorgeous, and the techniques will come back - and you will bring to your new work all the wisdom and experience you’ve gained since you last torched.

Congratulations! And welcome back.

June
Old 2021-02-05, 1:53pm

Hey June,, great to meet you and thanks for reaching out. I spent three hours. Last night making floral implosion. I never did understand the balancing act making them but love them. All five were disasters, the bails all took longer than the bead and they all had cracks, two were cracked all through. I have the desire to sit down and say " I'm gonna make a big moon, two dragonflies and the ocean", and doing it. I'm realistic enough to know it's gonna take time but I wasn't prepared for struggling to light the torch or keep the glass on the mandrel, stuff like that. I have to realize that I have had three strokes since I left glass. I'm sure that screws with this reintroduction process.
The magic happens when I realize puckered ends and big ones and a few other things are still there, and when I get such a rush from making a cool twistie or striking glass, and forcing myself to stop at night. I'm remembering the love for hot glass,, it's huge!
I need to order a few things from Frantz today. Still using 8 yr old foster fire, very impressed how well it's performing still.
If I make anything worth showing and I figure out the photo thing... I will.

It's all good,
juniemoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-02-05, 3:21pm

Bi-cones lol not big ones

Old 2021-02-05, 6:51pm
Phill

Aye, strokes can steal all kinds of unusual details out of our minds that we don't even notice are gone until we remember that we used to be able to do 'that'.

Could be math, the capital of France or that neat way of double tying your bootlaces.

But it's re-learnable too.
Old 2021-02-05, 8:44pm

Yeah Phil, I'm actually very lucky, I can walk, talk and know when I gotta tinkle. I figure that anything I manage to accomplish is a plus. I am enjoying it, thank God when I left the studio it stayed untouched. I never considered selling it. Like I never sold my woodstove from the 80's, my parakeet flight cage, our three sets of encyclopedias, all my vinyl, my candle making equip, my silk dying supplies,a four foot embroidery hoop and all the wood awnings from a house in town, amongst other stuff you know you will need again haha.
What was I talking about? That's a stroke kicking in. It's all good.
I noticed that it's gotten really quiet here. When I left, show and tell was three to four pages a day. Sad about that. But I like being back.

Juniemoon

Old 2021-02-06, 5:48pm

And we like having you back again.
Old 2021-02-06, 8:19pm
Sucks at being nice

I am easing my way back into glass too. My hiatus wasn't horribly long but rotator cuff surgery slowed me down in a big way. I am currently going through every single tutorial I have and making them in the order they are stuck in the binders. Trying to get my skills back and maybe come up with new ideas. So far I've made it through the first two binders with a few more to go. Here's the first batch.
Name:  1st tutorials.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  62.7 KB

Old 2021-02-06, 11:44pm
Phill

Those are glorious!
Old 2021-02-07, 9:57am
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Those are glorious!
Thank you! It has been a lot of fun going through all of the tutorials I have saved over the years. Some clipped from old magazines, some gifted, some purchased, and some printed from LE and Wet Canvas. They are good for flexing unused muscles in the hands and brain.

Old 2021-02-07, 1:09pm

Those look great, you know a lot of stuff. What a great way to revisit all your skills and techniques. I am happy to return to the flame, aren't you?? It's a really sexy art form. So fascinating!!

Old 2021-02-07, 8:55pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniemoon View Post
Those look great, you know a lot of stuff. What a great way to revisit all your skills and techniques. I am happy to return to the flame, aren't you?? It's a really sexy art form. So fascinating!!
I am happy and frustrated at the same time. So glad you are back in the game!

Old 2021-02-08, 11:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
I am easing my way back into glass too. My hiatus wasn't horribly long but rotator cuff surgery slowed me down in a big way. I am currently going through every single tutorial I have and making them in the order they are stuck in the binders. Trying to get my skills back and maybe come up with new ideas. So far I've made it through the first two binders with a few more to go. Here's the first batch.
Attachment 177263
Welcome back to you, too! What a great idea for flexing those muscles again. Looks like it's all coming back pretty quickly.
Old 2021-02-22, 7:56pm

Hi! I am back to beadmaking, too, after about 5 years making lifestyle adjustments. It is challenging getting back to it, but so exciting! I have had sleepless nights, too! I have been working for about the last 6 months, and am pretty much over the hump, but I am keeping things fairly simple.

The tutorials I purchased years ago are invaluable for relearning, as well as Soda Lime Times e-magazine. Like someone mentioned, we no longer have lots of those old favorite glass colors, and lots of new ones, so I have had to do lots of research about what to buy instead, and how to best use what I still have. A priceless resource for this has been the CiM website, with fabulous glass testing information about available CiM glass (under palettes) and also previous glass colors (in the archives), all provided by wonderful generous glass artists who have been kind enough to share their research.

This lampworketc website does not seem to be used as much as before. Are there other forums that are popular now, or is this still the place to go when I need glass help?

So nice to hear that others are getting reacquainted with the beloved melting of glass!
Old 2021-02-22, 11:35pm
Slogan Challenged...

Coming here is fine of course! there are also FB groups, Lampwork Tips & techniques and then.....lampwork challenges, and silver glass group, and then I'm not sure LOL
Looking stuff up was always half the fun to me, but then again I looked for two years and read everything I could, before I could start melting. I often wonder at the chance that brought it to my attention. I love what I do.
Let the glass melt and inspire you! and pininterest of course, for more inspiration. And...everything. I'm so glad so many are starting back up again.
Please post in the gallery, newbie stuff is ok!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2021-03-03, 9:11pm
Powers Art Studio

This is neat to hear your progression coming back to the torch!

~Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniemoon View Post
Hahaha wax on wax off is how I always reference something hard I'm faced with. It has been really hard on my arms and shoulders. So intense and focused, man. It sure makes me giddy to be working glass again even if results are sub par. Thanks so much.

Old 2021-03-08, 12:34pm
It's all about the color.

I'm so happy to hear that so many of you are coming back to the torch. As I tell those who I kind of/sort of mentor - RELAX. It's a journey, not a race. Enjoy the process. For me, it's my Zen. In fact, I'm headed of for to my studio for more Zen time. I'll be thinking of you all as I do.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2021-03-10, 9:48pm

I thought I should update you on where I am in the never ending struggle. I decided rather than trying to make the more complicated beads I would teach myself something new, good in theory I suppose but reality is that I had lost more skills than I realized. Well I tried to track myself implosion. Dropped one and caught that sucker before it hit the ground, with my legs, nasty burn. A hefty pile of drastic glass shards and garbage later I am making progress, but a few days ago I was distracted by a noise and. Turning placed three f fingers and thumb into the flame, really fried them. So I would say all in all things are going much slower and more challenging than I ever considered it would be.

I wish I could find my camera charger. Takes 3" discs, I don't know if they are still available?

One step forward, two steps back and pretty soon you are dancing, (fingers crossed, ooh ouch, nevermind, lol

Junie

Old 2021-03-12, 7:56pm
Slogan Challenged...

sounds painful!!
I worry you are placing too much pressure on yourself. I do that sometimes too and, to deal with it - I think you're right, I teach myself something new. A new shape, new technique, etc. and I again enjoy the journey that glass takes me on.
The skills creep back before you know it, don't worry about that right now. Catching hot glass with your legs YIKES or sticking your fingers in the flame speak to a need to focus. I find that is the thing to work on, always! Also sounds like you need to be certain you have some dedicated time and a safe space to work in.
I hate to think that you are so frustrated.
I wish I could come over there and make you laugh. And you would realize how much you have already done.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2021-03-12 at 8:41pm.
Old 2021-03-12, 8:30pm
Phill

Owie!!!!

I have only managed to drop hot glass on the bench but I remember only too well the thumb in the flame thing.

I am still amazed that that burn didn't leave a scar.
Old 2021-03-12, 8:41pm
Slogan Challenged...

I have scars on both hands from doing that crap. Lately I have been burning myself on the kiln, using mandrels that are too short. Time to chuck them, methinks.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2021-03-13, 4:56pm
Phill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
I have scars on both hands from doing that crap. Lately I have been burning myself on the kiln, using mandrels that are too short. Time to chuck them, methinks.

Two pair of really long forceps with a grove carved in the faces for just that reason.

I have gotten quite fond of the fur on my fingers.