LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-01-19, 12:12pm

Default Overwhelmed is an understatement...

Hi, 8 years ago I stopped lampwork to open a store with my best friend of 40 years, which since she is no longer here, turned out to be the best decision of our lives. Long story short I walked out on my studio , just turned out the light and shut the door. My concentrator covered in dust, all tools, equip glass sits as it was last used. Well I retired a few weeks ago and since I continue to have passion for hot glass I'm gonna open the door, turn on the lights and figure out where to start, any reminders, suggestions, conversation? I AM EXCITED PEOPLE!!

juniemoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-01-19, 12:22pm

Welcome back!
Old 2021-01-19, 1:25pm

This is great! I am doing the same thing. After an ugly divorce and about 7 years later I to am opening my studio door again. This time it feel wonderful to be going back. My first step I think I will do is to wipe all the dust off the glass.... tools included! The let the fire begin:}
Kathryn
Old 2021-01-19, 2:22pm
Slogan Challenged...

welcome back & good luck!
Dusting is good. Check hoses, etc.
Good clean of all the stringers and twisties, you won't miss them I promise!
good chair, get spares for the kiln.
Check the oxycon, it might need a new sieve bed etc.....that will be a bummer so hope it's ok
and.....start slow and be kind to yourself. Your style will probably have changed, you will find that's ok!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2021-01-19, 2:27pm
Queen of the milo field

Welcome back to the addiction. Have fun!

One thing you should know is that you're likely to have glass in your stashes that isn't made any longer - so some could be worth way more than when originally bought. And there's a lot of new colors now for you to try.

dj
Old 2021-01-19, 3:58pm

What they all said, and start small and let your muscles build up to doing larger work. The muscle memory will come back pretty quickly.
Old 2021-01-19, 5:04pm

Thanks for the replies, you can tell I'm struggling cuz I checked for replies and accidently sent it again, oh geez.....the kiln fired right up but I can't remember the program so hope it's still programmed, cleaned concentrator and filters, swept up, now picking through glass on table, and pitching stringers , washing rods and shorties, last glass I bought was CIM CLOCKWORK AND TRITON. I'm sure I got lots to learn about glass. Have to order bead release, any suggestions? I used to use foster fire smooth and stuff. New mandrels and a fiber blanket . New Dremel, anything else ? I always wanted Peter tweezers! Talk about lost time, but hopefully not everything I knew! I'm a bit nervous as I know I will be bummed with my first attempts. Think I will go back to basics, work on my puckered ends, shapes, encasing, controlling stringer, etc. Gotta wait for release!! IM STILL EXCITED PEOPLE, 8 YEARS!!!

JUNIEMOON

Old 2021-01-19, 8:11pm
Slogan Challenged...

Sounds good! I want peter tweezers too, they have something similar at Devardi for a really good price. I like them for the tools although you will get a lot of folks talking about their glass in a not-so-good way. I mix Alices bead release powder with water and another bead release, Frantz brand is good, also blue sludge.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2021-01-20, 8:22am

Confirmed Blue Sludge fan here, but I do a lot of work that involves encasing and manipulating the glass. It's the only one that really holds for me. But, for simple beads, small beads, almost any release will do.
Old 2021-01-20, 10:25am
Shelarious

OMG! I remember you, I have two of your beads and I love them! So glad you are back!

Old 2021-01-22, 6:19pm

Hi, I actually lit my torch, first bead heated til it dropped off the mandrel, 2nd attempt, I screwed around with it so long I got exhausted from messing and then it cracked. I was so energized by the process I couldn't fall asleep. I have lost a lot of skill and know how. But feeling no pressure, just take it as it comes. feels great to be back here, and someone remembers me!! Thanks Shelley.
I had ten inch dust bunnies hanging from my rods! Lol

Junie

I struggled to encase and pull a decent stringer, oh gobblygook

Old 2021-01-22, 6:25pm

I also got to put in a plug for fosterfire smooth and tough. I was anxious to make a couple beads and had a half jar of petrified chunks, added water and shook and mixed and dipped a few mantels and they held up great. This impressed me completely.

Junie

Old 2021-01-25, 5:13pm

Junie I walked away a couple years ago when my husband passed away unexpectedly. I went so far as to sell my house because I could not stand being there without him.I bought another house 5 hours away where I grew up.I have to sell the old house and move my studio to my new house into a downstairs room which will be perfect for a studio. I am excited to get it going tho it will take a few months to move it all. Good luck to you!
"

Old 2021-01-25, 9:05pm
Slogan Challenged...

Diana, sorry for your loss. I'm happy your move worked out I hope you get started again too!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2021-01-26, 12:20am

Thank you so much Kristin! ♥
"

Old 2021-01-26, 11:48am
dances with ideas...

Welcome back Everyone! Be safe and enjoy!!

That is impressive that the FF release could be revived!

Old 2021-01-26, 10:32pm

So sorry to hear of your loss. I would leave this house in that situation. I like hearing you are excited, I have found 8 years is a long time, lost skills but not the passion. Good luck with setting up your studio as well as returning home!!

Old 2021-01-27, 10:45am
Resident Luny

Definitely check your hoses, they can degrade in that much time! Welcome back! =)

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2021-01-27, 3:27pm

Hey Lunesse thanks for the welcome back, I'm so excited to be working with glass, but also so disappointed that I see what I need to do but fall quite short of making much other than crappy stuff. I don't remember it being so hard and my arms and shoulders ache. I have had shoulder surgery, three strokes, and developed major anxiety that is hard to control. Plus im much older now.
I have glass not labeled and beads I did but don't remember the glass I used. Still I am pumped and I am more interested in making art rather than manufacturing popular beads repeatedly. I loved marketing beads and creating things people would want, I still hope to do that but pushing myself and taking time to stretch my skills and tapping in to new directions for inspiration. Prob have no idea what I'm gonna make and I don't mind...lol. I use natural gas in my house and I did have the hoses and connection checked..
Gotta figure out how to show photos again.

JUNIEMOON

Old 2021-01-27, 7:18pm
Slogan Challenged...

Junie Moon, I'm looking at your avatar pic but I can't see it that well, do you have more pics of that and your work? I'm curious now
Yes it takes a little time to work your way back up to full sessions, I find arm rests (Creation station) are really necessary. Please take your time and be kind to yourself. Your work may have radically changed, and that's not a bad thing either. We always come back with a new perspective. Who wants to do the same thing all the time, anyway? Just get started with melting and see what happens!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2021-01-27, 7:47pm
Phill

Just remember to play between attempts to 'accomplish' something.

For now just enjoy having fun playing with 'colored lava".
Old 2021-01-28, 7:41am

Junie..thank you so much for your kind words. I hope by Spring to have my room set up but for now I do have the capability to use a hot head torch and my Chili Pepper Kiln and supplies so I could make some beads now.
Good luck with your plans remember its the journey thats supposed to be fun..and I hope the destination will be as well! ♥
"

Old 2021-02-02, 6:01pm

Well here's an update,. This is tough to admit but I suck. Making stupid mistakes and forgetting things. My beads crack,, caught my shirt on fire burning my arm. Five small burns on my arms, don't know my glass or what it does, burnt a mandrel in half, just nerve tracking. My arms and shoulders are sore, I can't strike, reduce, make good pickers and I have no rhythm for bathing beads in heat while working them. I couldn't make a simple dot bead. I just suck suck suck

Still seem to like it though, lol
Juniemoon

Old 2021-02-03, 2:15pm
Slogan Challenged...

I'm working on a tiny backup kiln right now while I wait for parts for the big one. So I sort of feel like that too right now. LOL

Well, your head is waaaay ahead of your hands.....try taking it slower and just do some spacers or small rounds. Practice in the heat. Practice using rollers. It's a lot to watch at once when you are out of practice or new. I still burn through mandrels when I'm tired. And I torch almost daily and have done for many years so don't worry that much about that.
I would read through the FB tips and techniques group, also FB newbie and lampwork challenges? and there is also one for silver glass. Lots of good tips there about current glass, archives here for everything else.
And just cruise around online and watch you tube videos or read tutorials. Try one. You will grow by leaps and bounds once you get the basics down again. I remember when i started, and for a little while before that....all my waking hours were beads, beads, beads. Come to think of it, it's still sort of like that. So have a hobby on standby like knitting or puzzles. It can be overwhelming!

I still want to see closeups of your avatar bead or other beads? I am not familiar with your work but that looks so interesting.
Hugs. One thing at a time!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2021-02-03 at 2:18pm.
Old 2021-02-03, 8:02pm

Ok, went into ARCHIVES and grabbed a few beads from about my last year's of beading . Here goes see if I can get em here....

Old 2021-02-03, 8:16pm

A few more

I'm sure there are lots more, but this is what I was up to.

Juniemoon

Old 2021-02-03, 8:44pm
Slogan Challenged...

thanks so much for sharing! I didn't think of the archives but of course that makes sense. I thought that was a waterfall and I see it was. It looks terrific!! and the Scream!!!! wonderful. I can see why you are frustrated. It will come back, I promise. And some things will be even better.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2021-02-03 at 11:38pm.
Old 2021-02-03, 10:00pm
Phill

Aye. I suggest just playing with molten glass for a few days.

It'll all come back but it sounds to me like you are pushing yourself.

Relax. Play. Rediscover.

Marvel at the way the glass liquifies right before your eyes.

If you make it "work", like a job, like a task you HAVE to accomplish the child within will pout and go on strike.

Look for the joy you once had with way different colors melt and interact.

It'll come back.

Those picture are stunning.

I want to be you when I grow up!
Old 2021-02-04, 12:46am

You are both very kind and encouraging, tonight was a tough night, but all means to an end, you are also right about it not being a job. I can't find rhythm or rhyme. I will. I will. Thanks for your response

JUNIEMOON

Old 2021-02-04, 11:20am

Those older beads are wonderful! And I'm with Kristin and Phill, take it slow (infuriatingly slow, to be exact), concentrate on the simplest techniques, build up those muscles and movements. You will get there, and you'll get there quicker than you did the first time. Maybe you need to practice 'wax on, wax off'?