No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-23, 11:13am

Default Etching beads with CZ's

Hi folks,
I just made a few beads with exposed CZ's in them and I would like to etch them. Question is do I need to protect the cz? Will the etching solution etch the luster of the cz or eat it away?????? What can I put over the cz to protect it?
Thanks for all your help!
Anna
Old 2007-02-24, 1:44am
Viking Flame Keeper

Kimberly! What's the difference between white glue and school glue?
Is the white glue wood glue?

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-24, 5:31am

Kimberly,
Thank you so much for the tip. I didn't want to wreck the beads cuz they came out so nice and I didn't want to contaminate the etching solution. So last night I made a few more test beads with the exposed cz's I'm going to try them today.

Kikki,
I think the white glue is thicker and has the blue lettering on it? I have the school glue here and it has the blackboard on it. I think its water soluable and a bit thinner than the other? I'm not sure. I do have some craft/fabric glue Alene's. That's really thick I'm going to try some of that.

Thank you for all of your help!
Anna
Old 2007-02-24, 6:08am
boro color bender

I use the fabric paint stuff for resist. It's not water based and it peels right off after you're done.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-02-24, 7:21am
Always with a smile!

I like the fabric paint idea, it's tough stuff. thanks Brent

) and
)
Old 2007-02-24, 7:52am
Viking Flame Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhotglass View Post
Kikki,
I think the white glue is thicker and has the blue lettering on it? I have the school glue here and it has the blackboard on it. I think its water soluable and a bit thinner than the other? I'm not sure. I do have some craft/fabric glue Alene's. That's really thick I'm going to try some of that.

Thank you for all of your help!
Anna
Anna, I'm in Sweden so our bottles of glue look different! But I think that the stuff you call white glue is what I'd call wood glue.
But Brent's idea with the fabric paint was neat! Those tubes/bottles usually have a very fine hole so it would be easy to get the stuff exactly where I want it.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-02-24, 8:53am

Just want to add my two cents worth here...Hope you don't mind. I put 2 coats of clear nail polish on mine. Drying in between coats, when dry I etch. then I use a mild nail polish remover. Works for me. smiles Kerry

My Etsy:

'A creative mess is better than a tidy idleness'

SRA #C-126