Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-06, 9:44pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
. . I just can't believe vendors/manufacturers will continue this practice . . . not very good customer service, wouldn't you say?
yes, not good....

I'm glad that this got aired so there could be a resolution at least for these silver colors. They are so expensive.
I think it must be hard for the manufacturers too...can you imagine if your beads were being renamed and sold by the jewelry maker as made by them when you know it is yours? And there not being an exclusivity contract? Not good....kudos to the other vendors that sell the product with the real names.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:17pm
da General

I do want to say that I have had excellent customer service from Ron (and I get more of my TAG and Precision silver glass from him!). . . just this one itsy bitsy deal with the glass naming. If we can get this "standardized" - perhaps with a manufacturer numbering system as Lyn suggested - then we will all be VERY happy!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-07, 5:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I want NUMBERS on the D*** glass. Like with Moretti/Effetre/Vetrofond & sometimes Lauscha.
Then I don't CARE who calls it what, who, where, why or when--Then I *might* be able to tell what the Heck it is by the last 3 numbers on the "product code"
I have the exact same feeling on the subject...

Old 2008-10-07, 6:54am

BTW, TAG does number every batch we make. That info is kept and we know which distributor gets what. We can look it up. You can thank Jenny Newtson for that! She's saved my ass many times. The problem becomes one of keeping track of the data. It's impossible or impractical to label every rod.

Yes money is very tight indeed. The glass IS expensive, and that is because it is very expensive to make. You'd be amazed at how much it costs to run a glass factory!

Bear in mind also that in these highly reactive colors there is often some variation in the batch and from batch to batch. This means that even if it is the same color with the same name you might get a slightly different color from different distributors.

However... to show you just how sorry I am to have caused you so much pain.... I'm going to make a list of people who feel pissed about this and make sure they get a free sample of the next new color.

Send an email to colors@taglass.com and ask to be put on the free sample list along with your shipping address. I'm not sure when this will be, but within the next month or so.

Paul
Old 2008-10-07, 7:54am

It's a nice offer -- I didn't buy either, so I won't take you up on it. I do suspect I've gotten caught in it on other colors you've produced.

More to the point, it doesn't solve the problem that other glass manufacturers from Effetre to Bullseye to DH to CiM have managed to deal with. I hope you'll take the beef in this thread seriously and continue to work on it.
Old 2008-10-07, 8:12am

Gosh , didn't I make myself clear enough? I'm fixing the problem!
Old 2008-10-07, 9:14am

Thanks Paul--you're a doll! I'm hoping the DEALERS will take this to heart & start using YOUR part numbers with THEIR names when they list the glasses up for sale!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-10-07, 9:21am
Storm Queen

I appreciate the offer Paul but I'm really not one to ask for free stuff. Jenny has taken very good card of me in the past and I can tell that you have a fantastic employee that loves her job. Just knowing that you are going to try and fix the issue on future glass is enough for me. Thank you.

Old 2008-10-07, 9:53am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I appreciate the offer Paul but I'm really not one to ask for free stuff. Jenny has taken very good card of me in the past and I can tell that you have a fantastic employee that loves her job. Just knowing that you are going to try and fix the issue on future glass is enough for me. Thank you.
Ditto.

Thank you Paul for the offer but I am with Amy - Jenny has taken very good care of me too. I even won a pound of your glass a couple of months ago!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-07, 10:16am
da General

And Jenny is a standup gal!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-07, 10:23am

Thank you all for the kind words - I DO love my job! Our batch number system was expanded to deal with the confusion that was occurring over Oxblood/Black Cherry and Blue Buddha/Cezanne. As a manufacturer, all we can really do is put out pictures of our colors, tell you what we call them, give you our part number, and tell you how to get the best effects out of it. We have been including the batch numbers on all our soft glass that goes to distributors. It is UP TO THEM to tell you which specific batch you are buying from them. Please refer to our website for the most recent information about TAG glass. www.taglass.com. And I am happy to answer your personal questions about batches.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-10-07, 7:35pm

I think there are some unfortunate dealings/promises/agreements that have gone on between manufacturers that all of us are not aware of. I think the naming issue is a problem because people do end up buying the same color thinking it is different and that is annoying. I think the bigger problem is the agreements that have gone on between the manufacturers. I think they have to work that out but not here on LE for everyone to read every little comment and problem with who said what to who during what deal. I think the end result for us glass buyers is that we just don't want to buy the same glass twice. I only get my precision, tag or whatever glass from Ron and all I can say is that I know for a fact that he is an honest person who is trying to do the very best he can for his customers. I think Ron and Paul and possibly even Abe will have to work out their naming system and the problems they are having with their agreements on distributions but I don't personally think it will be good for any of them to hash that out here on LE. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

I don't think it will look good for any of them in the eyes of the buyers if it turns into a heated discussion. But, I think Ron and Paul have both gotten the message that the buyers are frustrated with the naming problem. I hope they can work out the details of that off line and come up with a solution off line.

I don't think I've purchased anything directly from TAG but I have purchased some of their glass from ABR like Juno and some of their other colors. I was one of the people that bought the divine purple from Ron as soon as I saw the pictures he posted about it. I had to have it and I love it. Ultimately, I ended up with deep purple as well and I realized they are the same so I just put them together and now I have more it. But, I love that color and having a little more of it wasn't a problem for me on that one so I don't expect any free glass but I sincerely hope that this all gets worked out between Ron and Paul and the end result will be a consistent naming system. Again, just my opinion.

Old 2008-10-07, 9:10pm
Storm Queen

Gorgeous Kimberly! BTW, I hate the term "over reduce" because I do it on purpose all the time but I prefer to call it "heavily reduced" instead. I've gotten some incredible results from doing a heavy reduction.

Old 2008-10-07, 11:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrautman View Post
Gosh , didn't I make myself clear enough? I'm fixing the problem!
I'm glad you're fixing the problem, but here is the language that I didn't find clear:

BTW, TAG does number every batch we make. That info is kept and we know which distributor gets what. We can look it up. You can thank Jenny Newtson for that! She's saved my ass many times. The problem becomes one of keeping track of the data. It's impossible or impractical to label every rod.
Old 2008-10-08, 5:11am

We disagree with some of the information being said, but we will talk with those involved behind the scenes as this is not the place for a debate.
For those who have purchased the same color twice, we are happy to refund or exchange your glass including shipping. It does not matter where you purchased it from.
We are always here to help.
PM us if you have questions,
Rocio and Ron
Old 2008-10-08, 7:09am

Ron -you are the best!!
I love all the silver glasses and just wanted to say thanks to the makers!!
Keep them coming!

Amy

Old 2008-10-08, 12:37pm

Default Can we end this now?

OK, this all started with a simple question, and while some folks may want to see us fight, we are all in the same boat here! I appreciate Ron and what he’s done for bead makers in spurring development of the silver 104 colors. And I’ll talk more about that below. But I feel like this is all getting convoluted and weird. So first let me clarify what Paul meant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad View Post
I'm glad you're fixing the problem, but here is the language that I didn't find clear:

What Paul means here is that it would be an inordinate amount of staff time for me (and yes, it would be me) to label *every single* stick of glass that we manufacture. You don't want to be peeling those off, anyhow. And the distributors often want to put their own label on the rods before selling them to you, so there is no guarantee that label would still be on the rod once it got to you. I do put the batch number on the label that goes on the outside of the bundle -- whether I'm shipping to you personally, or to the distributor who will ship it to you. If you want that information, tell your distributor you want to know. And OF COURSE we manufacturers all have stock numbers; like TAG-104-01 is Dalai Lama.

And the absolute bottom line here is, once someone else has paid us for the glass, they can call it anything they want to. It's NOT ILLEGAL for a distributor to change the name. I don't really understand why it is supposed to be the manufacturer's problem when the naming issue happens downstream. In fact, the one time I tried to accommodate a name change, it added fuel to the fire.

That said, Ron and Rocio have done more than ANYONE else to establish this marketplace for silver 104 glass. And I thank them for that, because as a bead maker, I always wanted to have soft glass that looked like boro colors. My mere wishing didn't make it so -- THEY put money and effort into making this glass available. It takes more than a product -- it takes interest and buyers and education to make a market happen, and they did that. Paul understands this VERY well – he made the marketplace for colored boro in the 1980's, virtually from scratch. It was a long hard road of R&D, figuring out the methodology for manufacturing, encouraging small business owners to take a chance on distributing this new product, AND teaching enough people how to use the new colored glass. This eventually made a borosilicate marketplace that was sustainable enough to spur competition, and eventually a better marketplace for artists like you. Ron and Rocio deserve a hell of a lot of credit for creating interest in, and a market for, the silvered glass.

And Rachel - no, there are no agreements between the manufacturers. We are all in friendly competition, lol!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-10-08, 1:19pm

My point is that this problem has been limited to a very few manufacturers and distributors. I haven't pointed fingers at anyone and I'm not really interested in where the fault lies, but I am interested in manufacturers and distributors working together to get it resolved.
Old 2008-10-08, 1:40pm
I'm a lilac!

I am really hoping that distributors will take this issue to heart and start selling the glass by stock number as well as name. I've slowed way down on my purchase of silver glass partly because I no longer know how to tell what's a renamed version of something I already have, and I imagine I'm not the only one, so stock numbers will help sell the glass. I imagine that if one distributor started this practice, the others would have to follow suit, or lose business.

We glass junkies have gotten very good at identifying glass by stock number, so it really only makes sense to carry over this practice to the new silver 104 glasses. Thanks, Ron, Paul, and Jenny, for being on top of this thread and doing your part to resolve the issues.

Old 2008-10-08, 4:03pm
yukue fumei

Thank you Kimberly, Ron, Paul, Jenny and Kalera!
I am sorry for asking the initial question, but glad this is getting resolved. I look forward to solutions to the glass labelling.
peace to all!

PS: I love all the glass, so please keep them coming!

nagi

Old 2008-10-09, 3:47pm

Hey gals and guys this has came up before. I talked to Paul yesterday and we both are going to talk to Ron and make this a Diamond Clear picture for all involved, I hope. We all have the same goal in mind when selling a product and this community is too small for bad talk and or mis-information. I will post an update when there is one. I am truley sorry to any one who have bought my product twice with out knowing it.
Abe Fleishman
Northstar Glassworks.
Old 2008-10-09, 3:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I knew we could count on you guys to work it out

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-09, 4:32pm
yukue fumei

YAY!!!

nagi

Old 2008-10-09, 4:41pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

Double YAY, and thank you Kimberly for showing me what is possible with the Deep Purple when put in the hands of an expert!!
I did order some so I will give it a shot too.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2008-10-09, 5:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe from Northstar Glass View Post
Hey gals and guys this has came up before. I talked to Paul yesterday and we both are going to talk to Ron and make this a Diamond Clear picture for all involved, I hope. We all have the same goal in mind when selling a product and this community is too small for bad talk and or mis-information. I will post an update when there is one. I am truley sorry to any one who have bought my product twice with out knowing it.
Abe Fleishman
Northstar Glassworks.
Perfect. I think that's all any of us are asking for.
Old 2008-10-10, 12:50am

As a distributor for all the glass mentioned here, I think it's great that you guys are coming up with something that it will work not only for all of you, but us too! This leads to a question from me that maybe all of you can help me with.
Jenny, as you know, I have 3 different versions of montreux? I still haven't listed the glass on the website because I'm not sure how to list it.
If it burns with the same results, should I just leave it as it is or should I label it as light or Dark montreux? I don't want to label it differently if it give the same color results but I don't want people to buy it and go, "Wow! This rod is really different than my last batch".
Any advice?

Old 2008-10-10, 10:14am

Hi Reenie! My best advice is to show a picture of the rods on your site, as well as the reduced samples. As we all know, silvered colors vary batch to batch. These are all Montreux, and all do the same green/blue reduction. The primary difference between them is when and where you see the base color through the reduction. If you use them all on, say, black, you wouldn't necessarily see much difference between them. But if you work them over clear, or a light base color, you will see some of the purple in there, too. The best reason to allow someone to choose which version they would like is freedom of choice! I personally like an inkier, bluer purple, and the bluer batch you have (rare!) goes with all those newer Moretti ink colors really nicely. But when I am trying to match to amethyst stones, I need to go for a browner purple, like the old Moretti amethyst. And most of the Montreux right now looks like that.

Thanks for asking!