Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-18, 8:14pm
Life is change. Love it

We understand. That is why Kalera posted some tips at the start of this thread, the search function is useful, but if it is a unique problem or question we will try to help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-19, 11:22am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrein97 View Post
Hi there all! Ok I have been reading posts on this for awhile and I would like to comment on the side of us newbies. I joined here because I believed there were nice people who were avid lovers of glass and wanted to make a difference in others experiences of glass and the use of it. I am not a great bead maker and I am sculpturally challenged. I do not want to sell my beads to your clients. It's like any newfound hobby. I just want to learn. I realize people can be rude, but mostly the artists that have been doing this a long time have set up such barriers around themselves that they are "glass gods" . Really? I have gone to other forums and have not found the tension that is here on LE. I think if artists don't want to respond to another artists questions, then don't.
Stop this negativity. If only you could see it. Really, I have lost some of my interest just because there seems to be a rule on any questioning. So sad. There just seems to be so much PMS going on here. Either you wanna answer or you don't. That would be common sense. The ones that want to explain will, and if I don't get an answer then I will understand and go away. Thanks for listening, peace to all and Thank your creator for all your talents and gifts. You have been given much.

This thread exists to give new folks like yourself some very useful tools that will help you find the answers you want. I'm sorry that you found it discouraging, rather than encouraging and helpful, as it's meant to be.

Old 2010-10-19, 11:33am
I'm a lilac!

Also, seriously, I am sure you don't understand at this time how insulting your post is. Barriers around ourselves? PMS? Glass gods? Really? Please remember that you are talking to individual human beings who are just as susceptible to having their feelings hurt as anyone. I have a feeling that these "barriers" are your own invention, not anyone else's.

If you have genuinely lost interest because of this thread, maybe you aren't really that interested in working with glass in the first place. Because, really? People ask you to treat them like real people, and respect their time and work as much as you respect your own, then give you tools to help you learn their craft... and you take it as "a rule on questioning"? Come on. I don't really want to see this kind of negativity in this thread because it isn't what it's for, but I can't just let that pass.

You find the request from other people to respect them and their time as fellow human beings, insulting. You actually can't be bothered to respect people without finding that request too much of an imposition.

Really?

I go out of my way to share knowledge, and to encourage the sharing of knowledge. MOST of us here do the same, in fact. And you have gone out of YOUR way to insult us all with your comment about PMS and setting ourselves up as "glass gods". Honestly, I think you are way off base, as well as being needlessly insulting and dehumanizing, and that you will have a very hard time indeed in getting the answers you want, if that is the attitude you approach this craft with.

Old 2010-10-19, 11:47am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
...I joined here because I believed there were nice people who were avid lovers of glass and wanted to make a difference in others experiences of glass and the use of it...I realize people can be rude, but mostly the artists that have been doing this a long time have set up such barriers around themselves that they are "glass gods". Really? I have gone to other forums and have not found the tension that is here on LE. I think if artists don't want to respond to another artists questions, then don't.
Stop this negativity. If only you could see it. Really, I have lost some of my interest just because there seems to be a rule on any questioning. So sad. There just seems to be so much PMS going on here. Either you wanna answer or you don't. That would be common sense....
Hi There and thanks for the post. I'm sorry that you've been met with some rudeness and negativity; I don't recall if your and my paths have ever crossed in the past, but if I've ever said anything unkind, I sincerely apologize. I will say, though, remarks such as "There just seems to be so much PMS going on here" can certainly incline readers to get their dander up a bit, so maybe leaving comments like THAT out of what you're trying to convey would be more prudent and give your perspective a wee bit more credence.

As far as "Glass Gods" - well I personally don't know anyone who regards themselves as such, and it would be hard not to in the face of such self-complimentary arrogance.

On the flip side, there is some wonderful and amazing talent here, and I've found that most of the long-term glassers - those with the most knowledge and experience - are usually the most helpful. At least that has been MY experience.

Quote:
Also if I ask a dumb question, it's because I am a newbie and I am lackluster in skills in finding the right place in getting my answers, the longer one has been around here, the easier it is to get around, I guess I plead for patience, I just wanna learn from well intentioned artists, as I will try to be the same. We all bloom in different ways.
There is no such thing as a "dumb" question!!! I think the thing that irks those being asked is that they get the sense maybe that particular question has been asked and answered - sometimes in exhaustive detail - many times before and that the inquirer is simply either being over-zealous, lazy or self-centered in asking since a relatively simple search would glean an abundance of information on that very same subject.

A lot of us answer and answer an answer; many times, we don't even get a "Thank You"! After a while, as I'm sure you understand, that get's a little tiring and disappointing.

With all that said, I personally would surely try and help guide you if there are specific answers you're looking for. I'm all about the glass - as well as contributing as best I can to keep this artistic genre alive - so if I can help, please send me a PM and I'll do the best I can.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-10-19, 11:51am
I speak Murrini!

Oops, Kalera...I see we were on the same wave-length and by the time I'd authored my post (and deleted or altered some things that didn't really sound nice at all! ) and hit "submit", you'd already posted.

Bravo to what you said! It's almost ironic, ain't it? Sheesh....

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-10-19, 11:53am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Oops, Kalera...I see we were on the same wave-length and by the time I'd authored my post (and deleted or altered some things that didn't really sound nice at all! ) and hit "submit", you'd already posted.

Bravo to what you said! It's almost ironic, ain't it? Sheesh....
Great minds and all! Your post was SO moderate... I am impressed!

And yeah, I agree... it is kind of ironic.

Old 2011-02-21, 10:14pm
Back to 👊 1

Wink

It's that time again!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2011-02-21, 11:57pm
I'm a lilac!

Hahaha I love that bump smiley! I've never seen it before!

Old 2011-02-22, 4:02pm
Triumphantly Knit!

As one who asks questions when I have one I respect the free will of anyone to not answer.
The order of the threads change quickly at times. Depending on who has answered what. In the time it takes to search this forum and google and post a question, the order of the board can change multiple times, it may not have been 2 threads down at that time.
There is so much info here that I have spent countless hours, days, nights reading and rereading and I haven't come close to reading a fraction of what is here. I have books, tuts, and have taken classes. I still have many, many questions and sometimes the more I read the more I want to ask.
I, for one, am so anxious to get on my torch and create and play and have fun that sometimes it is easier to just ask the question. If you are busy, don't answer...
I have in no way taken this discussion personally but I can see how it could scare those more timid than myself.
Even though I am really new I know every day there is someone newer than I. If I don't have something supportive to say I move on.
I also, sometimes thank in the thread and I have also pm'd people to say thank you. Why bump a post with a thank you if it's my post or thread is my rationale there.
Not everyone is as tech savvy as others and some may even be at the library and not have time to do much but ask their questions.
I try to look at all sides. I think it is important to gently encourage and educate new members to search and read. Sometimes I read something and can't remember where it was and I can spend an hour trying to find it again; and not find it. I love the copy and paste into word suggestion.
We are all members on this forum and we will never all agree on how things should run, I appreciate the individuality of each of us.
I, for one, am incredibly grateful to everyone who has posted their techniques, their pictures, their questions, experiences, just posted in general. We also have all made mistakes.
I think when you've done this for a while you can get calloused and maybe not realize that those of us who are new are so jazzed that you all are here for a resource. What can seem simple to anyone who has been doing something for a while may not make sense to someone. Why not be flattered rather than annoyed and communicate to the person if you take issues with their question or picture? I would hate for people to give up rather than ask questions.
Sorry for the rant, but I agree that the only bad question is one not asked.
Tolerance, I'd like to put out tolerance....if we want world peace we have to look at how we act towards ourselves, our family, neighbours, strangers, forum members, etc. This is here for everybody who joins and that can push our tolerance level, me included.
A forum breeds open discussion and a public forum will draw all types.
Free will and tolerance will keep us all working toward what the purpose of this forum is, to exhange information for the perpetuation of the joys of lampworking..
I mean no offense to anyone and there wasn't any one thing that any one person said that I am responding to. It is this notion in general that if it's not done the way "I" want it it should be done another way.
I think a sticky of how to use the forum with more explicit examples demostrating how and where to look thru here is a great idea. I'm still finding info in places I never would have thought to look!
But that's just me...
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible