Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-12, 5:57am

Default New Dichroic

Has anyone used the new dichroic that comes on the copper foil?

its VERY thick and im having a little dificulty with it

Deb
Old 2009-01-12, 7:22am

what would you like to know? Have you seen the video on it?

1) score the top of it with a knfe or exacto... just cutting through the coating (easy to do because the copper is think). This way the glass will only pick up a strip of dichro rather than bunch.
2) try using tweezers to scrath off flakes onto a graphit paddle and use that as dichro frit. That may eb the easiest thing to do for you.
Ron
Old 2009-01-12, 7:32am

I have found it works best for me when i scratch it onto a marver...a little goes a loooooooong way, its like dichroic frit

I think my problem is im use to using the dichroic glass rods and this is soo different, i need more practice i know.

i will post some pics today... some i layed it on too thick i think, reminds me of a heavy foil.

Deb
Old 2009-01-12, 7:46am

if you run into more questions, Rocio can help you better than I can.
Her e-mail is Rocio@FineArtbyRocio.com
Old 2009-01-12, 9:28am
Catnip Pusher

Ooooh - this sounds very cool and intriguing. Where do you get it?

Aimee
Old 2009-01-12, 9:53am

This does sound interesting. Up until now I have not heard of the stuff. Who makes it? Where can it be found?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-12, 11:24am

It's at fine art by Rocio, here's the link

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/glass.html

It's at the very top of the page and is $39.99 for a 6 x 12 in. sheet.
Old 2009-01-12, 11:56am
Born Facing Left

Is there a more detailed/close up picture of the dichro? What color is it? I'm intrigued.

Old 2009-01-12, 12:04pm
Catnip Pusher

Won't the bare dichro burn up or scum in the flame? I know you have to encase it, but even then I've always had problems - like with the dichro on black 'cause you have to apply it dichro side up.

Aimee
Old 2009-01-12, 1:36pm

its pretty darn resistant to the flame and there is no scumming up like were use to with dichroic glass rods. Ive encased with clear and with transparent colors... on black base , clear base, rubino base, grape base, no scum on any.

Old 2009-01-12, 1:37pm
Semi Retired

Hi Aimee, love the bead stands I bought. Here is the video on how to use the dichroic on copper:

http://www.glasspalette.com/dichroic...opperfoil.html

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-01-12, 1:37pm

It is three times thicker than normal CBS coatings so it turns into a silver rainbow. It does not burn in the flame because of it thickness. It ends up being less than half the price of normal dichro AND your left with a solid copper foil to play with.
Old 2009-01-12, 3:42pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I am so glad I found this thread! I was wondering about this product!

For those of you that have used it about how many average sized beads (maybe around 1/2" to 1") can you embellish from one sheet.

I love to experiment with new stuff but I also like to get as much value from my supplies as I can!

Old 2009-01-12, 3:51pm
Catnip Pusher

Thanks Mary - and thanks for the link to the video too!! I definitely think I need some. Gotta stop spending money I don't have!!!

Aimee
Old 2009-01-13, 5:12am

ive been doing the flaking it onto a marver and chopping it up ... i scored a maybe 1/2 inch strip and ive only flaked up about 2 inches of that and i did 10 beads...so you can get alooooooooot of beads out of this sheet that way.

Im getting more color from the transparent i put over it.... I didnt get alot of color from the dichro itself when i used it solid ...its like a high silver sparkly dichro . Id like to see this stuff with more color on the actual dichro. I need to keep practicing.....

Old 2009-01-13, 8:19pm

I just saw this on their site and was intrigued. Now, I will have to try some. The video was not working though, so this was some good info!
Thanks,
Amy

Old 2009-01-13, 10:07pm

I live a few towns over from CBS. They don't give discounts unless you spend an enormous amount of money. But I may consider doing a bulk buy if there is interest. Let me make sure they still allow the public to buy direct and what the options are colorwise and such.

Thanks for the link to the video......I must have some.

Old 2009-01-14, 12:15am
Gimme that silver glass!

This looks great! Now I want some too!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-01-14, 12:31am
FireBeads

Michelle, Pacific Art Glass has really good prices on dichro. They buy huge amounts from CBS and get good discounts that they usually pass on. I don't know if they have this new stuff yet. I ordered some...I wonder how it will fuse? Anyone know?
Old 2009-01-14, 8:37am

I was in Pacific Art Glass yesterday and they did not have it. I will compare prices.

Old 2009-01-14, 8:44am
Burning through glass

I got mine directly from CBS. Still doing some tests, but you bet it will show up in the new murrini blend I'm making!

Renee Wiggins

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2009-01-14, 9:33am
Ellyloo-YAH!

OHhhh.
EVILNESS!!

Old 2009-01-14, 12:02pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
I live a few towns over from CBS. They don't give discounts unless you spend an enormous amount of money. But I may consider doing a bulk buy if there is interest. Let me make sure they still allow the public to buy direct and what the options are colorwise and such.

Thanks for the link to the video......I must have some.

I would be interested in the bulk buy!

Old 2009-01-14, 12:39pm

I just spoke with CBS, who quoted me $33 per sheet, wholesale. There are no color choices.

It says on their website that their dealers may have better pricing. I called Pacific Art Glass for their pricing, I am expecting a call from John.

Old 2009-01-14, 1:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
I just spoke with CBS, who quoted me $33 per sheet, wholesale. There are no color choices.

It says on their website that their dealers may have better pricing. I called Pacific Art Glass for their pricing, I am expecting a call from John.
Cool, I am up for a bulk buy too, this product sounds interesting.

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2009-01-15, 5:55am
boro color bender

I got to play with some of this several months ago when I was out in Oregon. Abe brought it in and we made a mess... Fun stuff!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-01-15, 9:47am
MacGalver

I'd be interested in a bulk buy, depending on pricing, etc.

Jo

Old 2009-01-16, 8:21am
Yeah me!

I spoke with Jerry at AGH and they are selling it for $30.41 a sheet if you have a wholesale account. I have one so if any of you can't find a good deal let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Old 2009-01-16, 8:29am
Gimme that silver glass!

If anyone wants to organise a bulk buy, I'm interested as well!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-01-16, 9:00am
Mary Lockwood

I haven't been this excited about a new product in a long time. I'm in on the bulk buy if one gets going. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'll be able to wait...I might pay full price if it takes a long time for the bulk buy to get off the ground.