The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-16, 9:37am
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Abe brought it in and we made a mess... Fun stuff!
It is fun, but I agree with you Brent, it's messy! The stuff flakes off everywhere, despite me being really careful.

It's a little hard to use it the way I originally thought. I had to take a different approach to using it for my murrini, but in doing so, I made a discovery and thought I would share it. You can make some KILLER sparkly stringer with this stuff! It takes a little while, but if you take a rod of clear of your choice (or any other transparent glass for that matter), heat the end and roll the molten glass in the dichro, then encase that and mash it up, just like making foil stringer, repeat a couple of times to get the right amount of sparkle to your glass blob, then once it's all mixed, pull to your desired size of stringer! It's great for that! It's like, um, Silver 'Goldstone'! Sparkly! I'll see if I can get an image for you ..

Renee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2009-01-16, 11:15am
just plain silly

I can't wait to see the "silverstone" pic Renee. I'm interested in getting some to experiment with too!

Suzanne
Old 2009-01-16, 11:21am
Dangerous Woman

I am in on the Bulk buy too!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-01-16, 11:28am
Catnip Pusher

I'm not supposed to be spending...

I want some too!! Count me in if there's a buy.

Aimee
Old 2009-01-16, 11:38am
no more

You can also go to CBS's website and they have a tutorial. Its pretty intresting.
He is using a glory hole and some hot hot glass.
We got in some of these as samples and messed around with it.
We had some issues, but after some more time, we figured out how to deal with it's temperment.
We were using boro, and trying to wrap it up, but ran into some problems because we didn't get the glass shiny hot!
I was using a CC+ and it tended to blow the unstuck dichro everywhere! It was like snowing dichro!
Old 2009-01-16, 12:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
I spoke with Jerry at AGH and they are selling it for $30.41 a sheet if you have a wholesale account. I have one so if any of you can't find a good deal let me know and maybe we can work something out.
I am happy to organize a buy. Although, let's compare price and see which is the better deal. I have no problem handing this project over to someone else either

Pacific Art Glass is out of stock at this time and do not have a firm price. They said I can count on a 10% discount and if they get a better price they would pass that on. So that would be $29.70 per sheet. I would be paying tax on it. Pacific ArtGlass is in LA county whose tax rate is 8.25%, which makes it 32.00 per sheet. Add the PayPal charge...isn't it 3%? And add postage which would probably be under $2. So I would estimate $34.96 per sheet. The only other thing I can think to add would be an envelope. I would think a padded one would be fine. I get them very reasonably. $35.50 would probably be a close estimation of my cost.

CBS has stated that the product is moving as fast as they can make it. So, there could be a delay in getting the product.

Should we move this conversation to the bulk buy thread.

Old 2009-01-16, 12:03pm

P.S. I would not object to splitting sheets for people.

Old 2009-01-17, 2:04am

add me to the bulk buy please....it sounds like it has a lot of potential

Denise
Old 2009-01-18, 12:51pm
FireCat Glass

Count me in!
Cindi

Yoga- The yoking of body, breath, spirit, and glass.

Old 2009-01-18, 6:07pm
Metallic Flame Studios

I'm interested also!!!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2009-01-18, 6:39pm

iff anyone would, i would like share post and custums? with you Anouk!
XX
Eus ( now you showed me how, i'm not affraid of Dichroic anymore)

Last edited by kernheimer; 2009-01-18 at 6:55pm.
Old 2009-01-18, 8:08pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Ron I was on your site and looking to buy some but the shipping came out to $8.75. I was wondering if that was a mistake since the dichroic doesn't seem to be that heavy or big.
Old 2009-01-19, 8:26am

Oh my, I neeeeeeeeeeeed some . Has anyone tried to blow this. The video shows him making a paper weight but not blowing it.

Maybe if I really fritted it up small I could blow it.
Oh I so want to blow ornaments out of this.

Can't help with the bulk buy because I don't use paypal.

Last edited by Alison D; 2009-01-19 at 8:30am. Reason: add text
Old 2009-01-19, 8:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I got to play with some of this several months ago when I was out in Oregon. Abe brought it in and we made a mess... Fun stuff!
So, it works ok with boro then? Sounds very interesting...

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-01-19, 8:33am
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
Ron I was on your site and looking to buy some but the shipping came out to $8.75. I was wondering if that was a mistake since the dichroic doesn't seem to be that heavy or big.
Try asking for regular mail. AGH has agreed to do this for me and this way it only costs about a dollar.

Old 2009-01-19, 8:43am

Who is AGH?
Old 2009-01-19, 10:40am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Art Glass House

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-19, 12:58pm

I have posted this in the bulk buy section. It is at the top of the Garage Sale section.

Old 2009-01-19, 1:07pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
Try asking for regular mail. AGH has agreed to do this for me and this way it only costs about a dollar.
I'll give that a try. I wanted to alert them to this because it might be a mistake and they don't know.
Old 2009-02-09, 10:07pm
Against the Grain

I made a focal with it. I'm having a hard time getting used to it. It looks a little like treebark, but I'm going to keep playing with it.

Old 2009-02-10, 2:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
It isn't dependent on the COE because you are only using the dichroic layer and there for its suitable for any type of glass.

I ordered 2 sheets of it a week back but was told there is a 3 week delay.

BWT I saw a bead made here in Australia this evening that had what my friends and I thought was a solid dome shaped opal floating in the top of a clear bead - it was so like a real polished opal but that for most people would be impossible to detect from the genuine article!!! (true opal would explode in the flame no matter how slowly it is introduced to flame - due to inclusions in the stone which would expand and cause the stone to shatter )

There is just so much potential in this new form of dichro - I have ideas screaming full bore through my mind as I type this!!
Back to the torch!
cHEERS
AInslie aka woodart.
Old 2009-02-10, 4:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodart View Post
It isn't dependent on the COE because you are only using the dichroic layer and there for its suitable for any type of glass.

I ordered 2 sheets of it a week back but was told there is a 3 week delay.

BWT I saw a bead made here in Australia this evening that had what my friends and I thought was a solid dome shaped opal floating in the top of a clear bead - it was so like a real polished opal but that for most people would be impossible to detect from the genuine article!!! (true opal would explode in the flame no matter how slowly it is introduced to flame - due to inclusions in the stone which would expand and cause the stone to shatter )

There is just so much potential in this new form of dichro - I have ideas screaming full bore through my mind as I type this!!
Back to the torch!
cHEERS
AInslie aka woodart.
Gilson opals can be put in glass. They are man made, but still very pretty. Prettier, in fact, I think than many "real" opals.

As for this dichro, I've got a sheet. I've used it. I'm going to try it with the warm family of transparents soon, and see if I like it more that way. Right now I think it looks a lot like silver foil or big mica flakes, not like what I expect dichro to look like, and I probably won't buy it again unless it comes in colors or something.
Old 2009-02-10, 4:07am
aka Pele's Fire

Well, I am glad you guys got the stuff to work. I posted on another thread a few weeks ago about problems I had with trying to use the stuff. First of all, it would not come off of the copper by rolling a hot bead across it....and yes I had scored it like the video. I had to heat the bead super hot causing the glass to pick up the dicro but then the glass was stuck to the copper. Secondly, it immediately scummed in the flame. I chunked the stuff to the back of the shop and haven't looked back furious that I spent almost $40 bucks on the stuff. I will try it one more time since others have had some success, but I may have the rest of my sheet posted in the garage sale in a few days at a discount.

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2009-02-10, 4:33am
Gimme that silver glass!

Well, I gave it a try and it worked well (enough) for me ...

The only thing is that you have to encase it quickly, esp, the parts that aren't "stuck" on the bead. Or else it will flake off in the flame.

I actually do prefer "regular" dichroic on glass. I think the foil is very nice, but I prefer the raneg of colors of the original dichroic glass.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-02-10, 4:40am
aka Pele's Fire

Nice bead Anouk......you have inspired me to give it one more try! I will let you know how it turns out. They made it look so easy in the video. Did you find that it came off of the copper easily or did you have to flake it off?

Terryl

Old 2009-02-10, 4:49am
Gimme that silver glass!

I actually had no problem at all. I just rolled my hot bead over it and it came off . Not sure what the difference is? My bead is hot, but not dripping.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-02-10, 4:55am
aka Pele's Fire

hmmm...wonder if I got a bad sheet? I tried scraping the stuff off but it didn't even scrape off easily. I don't think I will buy another sheet to see if I can get the stuff to come off any easier.

Old 2009-02-10, 4:59am
Gimme that silver glass!

Have you tried bending your sheet? When you do, the dichroic actually should break and come off in flakes.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-02-10, 5:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
Well, I am glad you guys got the stuff to work. I posted on another thread a few weeks ago about problems I had with trying to use the stuff. First of all, it would not come off of the copper by rolling a hot bead across it....and yes I had scored it like the video. I had to heat the bead super hot causing the glass to pick up the dicro but then the glass was stuck to the copper. Secondly, it immediately scummed in the flame. I chunked the stuff to the back of the shop and haven't looked back furious that I spent almost $40 bucks on the stuff. I will try it one more time since others have had some success, but I may have the rest of my sheet posted in the garage sale in a few days at a discount.

Terryl
I didn't try that method. I used my knife to scrape it off the copper and then picked it up from a container. I picked the wrong kind of container, but it wasn't much different than picking up mica-has to be pretty hot to pick up big flakes. I did have it pretty much flame up if it hit the actual flame, so I just rushed to encase it, like with copper mesh. I couldn't marver it to speak of, either.

Last edited by likes to make glass stuff; 2009-02-10 at 5:02am. Reason: typed the wrong word
Old 2009-02-19, 5:21pm

Default copper dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Eric
Trev used the dichro and the foil in this BORO marble
Attached Images

Last edited by sunray; 2009-02-19 at 5:24pm.