Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-24, 8:28pm

Default Beadroller questions thread.

Here's your chance to ask me a question on my beadroller marvers.

Please feel free to chime in with tips and answers, too.

I'll start with a couple of questions I've cut and pasted from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post
I have the disc roller (the original one, not chunky) and for the life of me I cant make a disc bead. I either have too little glass or way too much. Im a little frustrated. Does anyone have any tips for me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Leslie, I make my cg roller disks bit-by-bit until I get to the right size that fills the cavity.

So . . . I'll start with a fairly small donut, winding it tall, not wide. Then I'll roll it in the marver cavity which will sort of shape it up a little bit, but will also show me how much more glass I need to add. Then I'll add a small wrap around the top of the disk, and maybe add tiny bits of glass on each side . . . melt . . . roll in marver again. So, now that I've added a bit more glass, I'm closer to my finished size. The second time rolling it in the cavity shapes it up even more and will again show me if I need to add more glass. Usually after my second "shape up", I'll heat and gravity drop each end and tap it straight.

If I need it, I'll dab teeny tiny bits of glass around the top again, melt and marver. It really helps to sort of push and shape your bead on the lower end of the cavity like Donna explains in her tutorials . . . . you're pushing against the end closest to the handle.

When I'm done I'll fire polish the sides and maybe tap up the ends one more time.

So . . . I don't get it right the first time, it's sort of a building process of adding bits of glass until I'm done
I'm so glad you got here first, Ginny, your description was great. Thanks miss silver tongue. lol

Yes, in a nutshell, it's a building up process. Be sure to start you footprint smaller than the cavity, too, so you can get the puckered ends instead of sharp ones. If you think of the cavity as a canyon, you will use the south rim to shape your final shape on.

The #1 thing to remember is, it's a graphite marver with a curved surface, instead of a flat one. And remember, the cavity shape does not have to be then end shape, use the roller to get a symmetrical base to add to, or flatten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurore View Post
Ok, been drooling over these Beadrollers for a long time. If you could only buy one, which would it be ? I've been looking at the mixed one, Barrel/Round/Disc/Oval http://cgbeads.com/beads_mixed.html ... I work with all three size mandrels, guess I have to decide just which I would want more ??!! ughh, hate making decisions
-Do you have a favorite shape? choose that one.

-Classic 4 is a good started if you don't know what shape you like to do the most, or if you want a variety of shapes about the same size.

-Is there one shape that you do a lot? ie. spacers for your jewelry. that roller will give you speed and your spacers consistency, so you can spend more time on your focals. or if you make a living off of making sets, speed + consistent beads = $$, time is money.

-Is there one shape that frustrates you the most? ie. I could never get the ridge to run around the middle of my bicones.

-Do you do a lot of large focals? try one of the large cavity rollers to get a quicker symmetrical base bead built up, so you can spend more time on decorating.

-Do you do tabs? one of the reasons I had the original chunky oval made years ago, was so I could get a symmetrical tab when I flattened the oval.

-Do you want a shape that is difficult to get with a flat marver? I've become really partial to the disc.

You just have to ask yourself the right question.

-Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-24, 8:52pm

I have a few beadrollers that will accommodate up to a 1/4" mandrel for the Pandora style slider beads. I've compiled a little info on mandrels and corresponding tubing.

Troll beads have 4mm hole
Pandora, Biagi, ets have 4.3mm hole

3/16" mandrel dipped once
use 3/16" tubing
(tubing has 4.06mm ID- Troll bracelets have a 4mm OD)
(yes, I have tried them and they do fit)

3/16" mandrel dipped twice
use 5mm tubing
(tubing has 4.3mm ID - all the other bracelets have a 4.3M OD)

1/4" mandrel
use 1/4" tubing
(tubing has 5.6m ID - great for necklace slider beads)

I sell 3/16" and 1/4" tubing, in both copper and brass, on my website. There are enough people selling silver tubing, so I've chosen to leave that to them. I don't want to endorse one person over another, so please feel free to post where to find them, if you like.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-

Last edited by cgbeads; 2009-10-24 at 8:54pm.
Old 2009-10-25, 3:32am
Knob Creek Glass

Question: What is next in line for a new cgbeadroller?
Old 2009-10-25, 3:41am
Puddy Cat Lover

Hi Donna,
I have a suggestion. Have you ever thought of making a YouTube video of how to use the different beadrollers? I really love all of my beadrollers.

I have a tip to share:
Making consistent beads is so easy with these rollers.
I make alot of frit beads and the round spacer roller is perfect for this. I use one smaller cavity to make the base, then I roll the bead in frit. In most cases I'll put just enough frit to make the bead fit in the next size cavity. Then, if I want to roll the bead in a clear frit, in most cases after applying the frit, it will roll perfectly in the next size cavity after that. If it's not a perfect fit, have a stringer of clear ready to randomly dot the bead until it fills the cavity perfectly. This set is rolled in Val's Tuscany Olive and Uroboros 96 medium clear frit.

I also use this technique to make perfect donut shaped frit beads with the donut spacer beadroller.

J.
Attached Images

Last edited by J. Savina; 2009-10-25 at 4:01am.
Old 2009-10-25, 8:37am

Yikes, that's a dynamite green!!!! no, seriously!!! and that's one of the biggest reasons I make the sizes graduating so closely in size, Jeanette. You get an attaboy.

Hi Barbara.. Two new ones early this week, a mini spacers with 5 different shapes (two of each, for a total of 10 cavities) smaller than the Bantams for all the 'oh my gosh, you make smaaaall beads' people. And the next 6 sizes up of disc (cause I love the disc) with 1/4" mandrel slot so the bead can be turned sideways and worn on a ribbon.

and I took in 3 others a few days ago. The large round (#1701) will get a 1/4" mandrel slot version (not to be confused with the #501 which already has a mix of reg & lg mandrel slots), and a small & large trio version of a drum shape (kind of like a whiskey barrel, but I already names the flat one barrels. sigh)

-D
(links are in my signature)

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-25, 12:07pm

Donna, that "whiskey barrel" shape is just the one I've been waiting for! Thanks!!
Old 2009-10-25, 12:15pm
balanced but asymmetrical

I'd be interested in a very small whiskey barrel shape.

Old 2009-10-25, 12:42pm
Creatrixie

*drooooooooooooooooool!* Thanks for the tips, everyone!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-10-25, 12:50pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I've got a suggestion too: I love your disk bead roller, but would prefer a chunkier size (similar to the proportions that you used in your classic 4 and in the Pandora plus disk bead roller).
Those shapes are quite a bit chunkier, and IMO are also easier to work than the new disk bead roller with the considerably thinner proportions.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-25, 12:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
I've got a suggestion too: I love your disk bead roller, but would prefer a chunkier size (similar to the proportions that you used in your classic 4 and in the Pandora plus disk bead roller).
Those shapes are quite a bit chunkier, and IMO are also easier to work than the new disk bead roller with the considerably thinner proportions.
hmm, I never noticed they were slightly different. The dimensions are suppose to be the same. I'll have to check on that. Thanks

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-25, 1:01pm

I'm convinced the disks are definitely slimmer.
Or maybe I'm going completely crazy? Who knows

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-25, 2:36pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
Hi Barbara.. Two new ones early this week, a mini spacers with 5 different shapes (two of each, for a total of 10 cavities) smaller than the Bantams for all the 'oh my gosh, you make smaaaall beads' people.
Yay!

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-10-25, 4:13pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Yes Donna. The disc spacer cavities are much slimmer than the disc plus and the classic 4. I still love them though. I really want a stubby bicone in several sizes. Hope you get one real soon. Oh, and did I mention that I'd really like the stubby bicone. HeeHee.
J.

Old 2009-10-25, 4:40pm

Hi,
I just ordered my first roller! Ship fast please!!!! lol
Old 2009-10-25, 5:43pm

Thanks Teena, it will ship tomorrow.

I took a look at the disc and I think I know what happened. The dimensions are consistent, but I'm betting when my tool guy drew up the spacers in his cad, he didn't go back and pull up the pandora disc to check the arc, so it's a bit different. I don't think I'll change the arc on the spacers though, I don't want a version 1 and version 2. It is what it is, the pandora's are just special now.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-27, 11:31pm

How about a fat olive shape? Or is that a stubby bicone??

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-29, 7:02am

The bicone has flat sides. The olive would be the chunky oval, the smallest one in the picture below. Is that the shape you mean?

bicone

oval

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-29, 7:56am

Oh I was thinking of the second one but it I might have it already! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-29, 7:57am

This is a great thread! I just ordered the Classic 4 because I couldn't decide. I can't wait to try it!
Jenny

Old 2009-10-29, 8:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by friskebaer View Post
I just ordered the Classic 4 because I couldn't decide.
Classic 4 is a good one for that, then if there's one shape that strikes your fancy, you can expand on that, if you like. If not, you at least have four shapes that are a decent size for most jewelry projects. Thanks for the order, Jenny

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-29, 8:13am

Thanks Donna - I'm sure I will be hooked - lol!

Old 2009-10-29, 8:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by friskebaer View Post
This is a great thread! I just ordered the Classic 4 because I couldn't decide. I can't wait to try it!
Jenny
Jenny

I love the classic four!!!

Becky
Old 2009-10-29, 9:26am

Hi Donna

Your sale going on until the end of the October, does that include the mult tool purchase? Thanks Becky
Old 2009-10-29, 9:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
Thanks Teena, it will ship tomorrow.

I took a look at the disc and I think I know what happened. The dimensions are consistent, but I'm betting when my tool guy drew up the spacers in his cad, he didn't go back and pull up the pandora disc to check the arc, so it's a bit different. I don't think I'll change the arc on the spacers though, I don't want a version 1 and version 2. It is what it is, the pandora's are just special now.

-Donna
You could always have the regular disks (as it's now) and some new chunky disks (like in the Classic 4 roller and the pandora plus roller)???? *hint* *hint*
I would definitely go for the chunkier disk ...

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-29, 10:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadmama View Post
Hi Donna

Your sale going on until the end of the October, does that include the mult tool purchase? Thanks Becky

The sale is only for the base (which I think I'll make the permanent price).

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-29, 10:32am

I'm so excited!!

Mine was delivered today so here's my beadroller question-may I go home from work "sick" so I can play with it? Please?
Old 2009-10-29, 12:32pm

Karen, your house is on fire!!!!!!
You need to go home - immediately!!!!!!

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-29, 12:35pm

cutting and pasting another comment/tip from another thread so all the info is (kind of) in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P View Post
I also find that the graphite on the back of these rollers is far superior to my regular marver, and the glass just rolls much smoother than on my old marver. Perhaps it is just that these are newer, or maybe it is a superior grade of graphite - if there is such a thing. Anyway, I really love these - thank you Donna for a great product.
You're right on graphite being a higher grade, it's not the newness, so it will be like that for the life of the tool. My machinist started me on using the second highest grade for 'glass product' tools.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-29, 6:48pm

I'm getting ready to order the Disc and Round Pandora Style Plus rollers. Any more in the works that incorporate both the 3.8 and 7.0 mm slots in one roller?

Old 2009-10-29, 7:20pm

No new duel versions right now. I split the donuts into their own beadrollers, I guess I need to make a duel version of them, too, but that would be at least a month away.

My tool guy/machinist has gotten a big job, so that will mean a bit less time for drawing up new versions for a little while. That's the time 'consuming' part, making them is the 'finding the time' part.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-