Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-04, 8:35am
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes, do you find that outrageous? Those suckers could of been shipped for three dollars or even less and then they were so rude to me via email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
$25?!?!?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-04, 9:05am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

They were complete assholes to someone else here a month or so ago.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-04, 9:49am
Sorry for party rockin'

Yeah, he owner was mean to Traci when she questioned their shipping charges.

I've bought from Gem Resources before and their service was very nice. They're not the cheapest, but the owner/manager answered some of my questions and was very nice.

I've had syntheticgems.org bookmarked on my computer for awhile, I just haven't bought from them yet!!

Old 2010-02-04, 9:57am
Hobby Junkie

I'm probably going to give syntheticgems.org a whirl next week when I get paid. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Old 2010-02-04, 10:14am
Lampworkaholic!

I set mine the same way Kim does, with a pointy tip tweezers that I use just for CZ so it stays sharp.

Deb - I would be interested in some 2mm clear CZs if you are going to pick some up.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-04, 10:23am
Jacqueline Parkes

That is what I wanted to say but I tried to behave. Their loss as I could of been purchasing 2mm AAA until the cows come homes. Idiots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
They were complete assholes to someone else here a month or so ago.

Old 2010-02-04, 10:24am
Hobby Junkie

I used the glue stick, mandrel method and loved it! I am WAY too clumsy for tweezers! I'd have more on the floor than on the beads.

Old 2010-02-04, 10:30am
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes the tweezers did not work for me either. I like using the mandrels........

There is a buy on here somewhere for czs from pehnec people. I forget where the thread is though. I believe she said the buy would be closed by the 14th.

I still wish someone could enlighten me on how to put the czs in encased florals. I am still getting a tiny bubble close to the cz. So I am avoiding this for now until I get answers. Too much wastage........on a positive note, I am putting them on the surface for pressed beads with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
I used the glue stick, mandrel method and loved it! I am WAY too clumsy for tweezers! I'd have more on the floor than on the beads.

Old 2010-02-04, 10:38am
Hobby Junkie

I haven't encased them. I like the look of them on the surface. I just heat the spot around the CZ so it smooths out a bit.

I absolutely adore your florals, by the way. I think the are gorgeous... bubbles or no bubbles!

Old 2010-02-04, 10:39am
Jacqueline Parkes

But I can't do that with the encased florals, or can I?

Thanks for the compliments. I hate/love florals lol

Can you show me one of your encased florals with the cz on the surface please?

Quote:
I haven't encased them. I like the look of them on the surface. I just heat the spot around the CZ so it smooths out a bit.

I absolutely adore your florals, by the way. I think the are gorgeous... bubbles or no bubbles!

Old 2010-02-04, 9:59pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
I'm probably going to give syntheticgems.org a whirl next week when I get paid. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Yes, please, I would definitely like to know!

Old 2010-02-04, 10:13pm

I just bought some stuff from Arrow Springs called Donna's Glue. It's suppose to work but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Old 2010-02-05, 12:53am
Jacqueline Parkes

I will be waiting to hear the results.........

Quote:

Old 2010-02-05, 9:20am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Have you tried, when you dot with the clear over the top, using a stringer instead of a rod? The bigger the bead of glass you put over the cz, the more air you are going to trap.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-05, 10:22am
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes unfortunately but thanks for trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Have you tried, when you dot with the clear over the top, using a stringer instead of a rod? The bigger the bead of glass you put over the cz, the more air you are going to trap.

Old 2010-02-05, 10:48am
Give to receive...simple.

Package of 20 White machine cut 2 mm CZ's-Price: $7.95http://heritageglass.com/index2.htm

I hope this helps...this is where i got mine few years ago...Not sure about shipping but you could always shoot Molly an email to check..

Good Luck!

Oops..the link opens to the front page even thought I posted the link to the actual Cz's page... Look for them under "Glass, Metals & Other Hot Stuff"..
Scroll to almost the end of the page..

Last edited by adee; 2010-02-05 at 11:05am.
Old 2010-02-05, 11:39am
Jacqueline Parkes

Hate to burst your bubble but that price is very high. I won't pay more than 9 cents each. I just ordered from a Hong Kong supplier who charges around five cents each.

The company you just linked to charges 39.7 cents each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Package of 20 White machine cut 2 mm CZ's-Price: $7.95http://heritageglass.com/index2.htm

I hope this helps...this is where i got mine few years ago...Not sure about shipping but you could always shoot Molly an email to check..

Good Luck!

Oops..the link opens to the front page even thought I posted the link to the actual Cz's page... Look for them under "Glass, Metals & Other Hot Stuff"..
Scroll to almost the end of the page..

Old 2010-02-05, 5:16pm
Give to receive...simple.

Thanks for the heads up! I bought them ages ago from there and have not bought them since from anywhere else so I have to admit I'm not up on current prices..

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but that price is very high. I won't pay more than 9 cents each. I just ordered from a Hong Kong supplier who charges around five cents each.

The company you just linked to charges 39.7 cents each.

Old 2010-02-07, 11:37pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Gems - I never encase my cz's. It's never been fail safe when I have. I either having a cracking issue or the bubble issue.

Ebay:
Old 2010-02-17, 7:48am
Hobby Junkie

I just got my czs that I ordered from syntheticgems. They are beautiful! Such a fiery cut!!! Much prettier than the other czs that I had gotten at a much higher cost from a us supplier. I got the AAA 2 mm clears for $49 per 1,000. There are a bunch of shipping options. I am impatient so I paid $30 for the 3 day FedEx from Thailand. Their customer service was very nice and sent me several emails letting me know the status of my order. I will make a couple of beads with them today so you can see the difference in quality between these and the others I previously ordered.

Old 2010-02-17, 8:04am
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh I am so glad you have had a good experience! I would love to see pictures. I am waiting on an order from http://www.elitegem.com/

They did not charge shipping. I will be curious to see the quality. Mind you, I only ordered the AA as I wanted to buy a smaller quantity to test the company out.

Quote:
I just got my czs that I ordered from syntheticgems. They are beautiful! Such a fiery cut!!! Much prettier than the other czs that I had gotten at a much higher cost from a us supplier. I got the AAA 2 mm clears for $49 per 1,000. There are a bunch of shipping options. I am impatient so I paid $30 for the 3 day FedEx from Thailand. Their customer service was very nice and sent me several emails letting me know the status of my order. I will make a couple of beads with them today so you can see the difference in quality between these and the others I previously ordered.

Old 2010-02-17, 8:05am
Jacqueline Parkes

Well, I have been noticing florals encased with czs on ETsy and I look closely and I see they too have little bubbles close to the cz. Maybe i am being too fussy again.......I've never had cracking issues though using the 2mm size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
Gems - I never encase my cz's. It's never been fail safe when I have. I either having a cracking issue or the bubble issue.

Old 2010-02-18, 4:07pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Update on my order from elitegems. It is in! And from what I can tell, they are just as nice or nicer than other czs I have ordered.

I only purchased the AA so I don't believe it is necessary to purchase the AAA. I have not used them in beads yet but I will post here again when I do with the results.

I purchased 200 2mm for $11 with free shipping , they worked out to be 5.5 cents each.

The post mark is Thailand.

Old 2010-02-18, 4:22pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I can't wait to see how they do.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-18, 4:28pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Me too. I may try tonight but tomorrow morning for sure.

Old 2010-02-18, 5:38pm
Mad about Glass

Deb thanks for pointing me in the direction of Gems International - their prices may not be lowest but it is only $5 for international postage which makes a big difference to the final price. They are very friendly and have very quick service.

[url]

Old 2010-02-19, 4:27pm
Jacqueline Parkes

For anyone that is interested, the new czs from Thailand worked very well.