No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-05-15, 2:10pm

Default Wind, While Torching Outside?

Hi,
I have recently moved into an apartment, and now don't have access to the open studio where I used to rent space. The only place I can work is outside (3rd floor apt.) but so far I have had huge problems with wind. I've read a bunch of threads here about the three sided plexiglass shield, will it work to protect a torch (mega minor) from wind?

Best,
Amy
Old 2013-05-15, 4:19pm
Alaska Boro

Plexiglas is generally used for events that require groups to see a bead demonstration. For making beads and no demo would suggest less expensive non burnable materials just in case the wind blows your wind protection system over on to the torch.

Check to see what the welding community uses. Some are a curtain that could drawn around your work area and pushed back when not in use. See Air Gas or Air Liquide

Also check with the landlord as many rentals do not allow bead making as it is a dangerous activity with liability and insurance issues. Epically in a rental scenario. i.e. check your lease.
Old 2013-05-15, 5:24pm
I fart diamonds

Pretty much anything that will block the wind will work. I torch at the beach sometimes and just use a sideways beach umbrella.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-15, 5:45pm
Bad Cat Glass

I work in my garage and the wind can get a little too strong. I have a shower curtain that has weights on the bottom that I can pull across part of the opening to keep the wind from reaching the torch area.
Old 2013-05-15, 11:41pm
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Francesca View Post
I work in my garage and the wind can get a little too strong. I have a shower curtain that has weights on the bottom that I can pull across part of the opening to keep the wind from reaching the torch area.
Brilliant. I always think of things needing to be solid or built in, too hard to do on my porch. Thanks for the idea.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-07-11, 10:04pm

I've been torching on my balcony (2nd floor apartment) for a year. I used some old cupboard doors, hinged them together and made a folding screen to block the wind. It packs away flat as well. Its a little hassle to put up and take down every time I torch, but it does the trick!