Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-18, 8:20pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Default Corina Nippers?

Anyone have them? Thoughts?

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-06-19, 4:37am
boro color bender

Bueller?

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-19, 5:08am
<--- Time traveler

I want to know, too - they look really nice. And I need them like a hole in the head. But what does that have to do with it?

Courtney
Old 2006-06-19, 6:02am
Carpe beadum

I ordered them on May 26th...still haven't received them. I'll let you know once I get them......

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2006-06-19, 6:59am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

That's disappointing. I ordered them last week and have been stalking the mailbox ever since. Who does the actual handling of those orders?

Also Available in

Old 2006-06-19, 7:12am
doyenne of the homebodies

I have them. They're good for cutting stringers and handmade cane, better than my other nippers. I've discovered they aren't strong enough to cut full-sized rods well.

I ordered mine before she moved, and they arrived pretty quickly, in just a couple days.

Andrea
Old 2006-06-19, 7:16am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I've emailed her twice with a question about adding the extra blades to my order, but I haven't heard back yet. Maybe she's still having email trouble.

So does Corina ship these out herself, or does someone else do it?

Also Available in

Old 2006-06-19, 7:18am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreajane
I have them. They're good for cutting stringers and handmade cane, better than my other nippers. I've discovered they aren't strong enough to cut full-sized rods well.
Good to know! I need them for stringer and murrini cutting.

Have you tried the "score and snap" method for cutting rods?

Also Available in

Old 2006-06-19, 8:22am
boro color bender

I think disc nippers work best for rods. Ron Jr. has the carbide blade on a wood stick and just rolls it over about 8 rods side by side on carpet... snaps them perfectly in one motion... really cool for cutting down large amount. The score and snap leaves me with a knife end on one side... I've found it with my fingers several times too often.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-19, 8:32am
doyenne of the homebodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
So does Corina ship these out herself, or does someone else do it?
I don't know...right after I ordered them she did send me an email thanking me, but I don't know who did the actual packaging-up and mailing.

I haven't tried the score and snap method, but I'll give it a try on a few...thanks! I think I even have some sort of rotary tool designed for this purpose, which I totally forgot about until this thread. Another impulse buy, obviously. If I get that knife edge that Brent mentioned, I'll just go back to my trusty heavyweight rod nippers.

Andrea
Old 2006-06-19, 11:02am
Martyrs don't bitch.

I have them too and they're nice for Murinne and stringers. I don't have any other cutters though.

I actually had a problem with my blades not lining up and she was very friendly and paid shipping both ways for a replacement. I got my second pair probably a week after the first. I've been very happy with them since.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-06-19, 11:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
I think disc nippers work best for rods. Ron Jr. has the carbide blade on a wood stick and just rolls it over about 8 rods side by side on carpet... snaps them perfectly in one motion... really cool for cutting down large amount. The score and snap leaves me with a knife end on one side... I've found it with my fingers several times too often.

I bought a cheap pipe cutter at the hardware store. Believe it or not, it works great for cutting a huge spectrum of rod sizes. I clamp the rod down in the pipe cutter, spin it to score the glass, wet the score w/ my finger and SNAP! It's done.
Old 2006-06-19, 12:41pm
<--- Time traveler

Joanne - what a good idea!
Old 2006-06-19, 1:21pm
Carpe beadum

Tink - It was the weekend she divorced that I ordered them. I figured patience was in order....she has a lot on her plate right now. I emailed Corina numerous times about them since then. She told me she ships those herself and perhaps overlooked the order. The presses are shipped by the guy who makes them. His wife has cancer and is not responding well to treatment. Again..patience is in order. I will give another week, making it a month since I ordered and then I will email again.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2006-06-19, 1:52pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Cool... I just heard from Corina re: a question I had about the replacement blades.

Also Available in

Old 2006-06-19, 6:27pm
Moving On

I also ordered at the end of May and hadn't had any response to emails. Tonight I did the contact me link on her site and she said she has a new shipping manager and will check on my order. Thanks for the tube cutting advice. I wind up with some monster rods when I pull cane, and will try that technique to cut them!

Old 2006-06-20, 5:02am

For te record...I ordered one and I received it a few days after I ordered. I really like mine. I use it to cut the stamens in my flowers just after I plunge.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-06-20, 6:08am
Embracing My Wonkiness

I don't know about nippers for cutting murrini. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems like nippers crush more than cut. So I don't get a very clean edge, either on the piece I cut off, or the end left on the rod.

But this dealie...
http://www.generationsglass.com/Cutt...d_Scoring.html
...the first scoring knife you see in the upper lefthand corner...works great for cutting small pieces of murrini and leaving a nice clean edge.

I hold the cutter between my index finger and thumb and score the end of the cane in a motion that's sort of like you're twisting a small bottle cap. I twist in a clockwise motion...like I'd be tightening the bottle cap...keeping my thumb firmly pressed against the cutter while it scores the cane.

Then I just use my needle nose (the beefier part of the plier, not out near the end) to snap the piece off the glass rod. I've also just snapped pieces off with my fingers but I think that's an accident waiting to happen. And I think using the pliers probably helps that score line to travel through the rod to make the clean cut.

Works great on cutting smaller pieces of stringer too.

Lil
Old 2006-06-30, 5:01pm

I ordered mine two weeks ago ... got the thank you email, sent an email to the address that was listed on her site a couple of days ago and that email bounced back as undeliverable.... Has anyone sent one that stayed.. got answered...?

I'm in Canada though so don't expect a rapid turn around but the site implies that she isn't shipping anything anymore, it's all being shipped from Oregon or somewhere!???

Lynne

Last edited by Islandgirl; 2006-07-01 at 6:44am.
Old 2006-06-30, 5:06pm

You might want to try the new email for shipping questions. This is from Corina's web site:

"NEWS from the new shipping department of Marge and Sue....As of June 1st.
all shipping and inventory has been moved to a facility in Oregon. Prior
to that date several orders were placed with no or little documentation.
We are trying to go back and make corrections where we can. In order to
un-scramble these problems we ask that you e-mail us directly @
corinashipping@IPNS.com...
thus by-passing Corina, leaving her free to handle other matters. We are
sorry for any inconveience you have incurred with the many changes at
Corina Beads. We ask that you accept our apologies and that you give us a
chance to restore your confidence in Corina Beads's almost flawless customer service.
Stay tuned for shipping policy up dates and changes." Marge and Sue
Old 2006-06-30, 5:09pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I received mine a few days ago, delayed a bit by the fact that the new mail carrier didn't knock on the door for my signature. But they arrived in a reasonable amount of time.

Also Available in

Old 2006-06-30, 5:41pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Owsley
I bought a cheap pipe cutter at the hardware store. Believe it or not, it works great for cutting a huge spectrum of rod sizes. I clamp the rod down in the pipe cutter, spin it to score the glass, wet the score w/ my finger and SNAP! It's done.
What a fantastic idea, Brent! Thanks. I have one of those. Never thought of using it for that, but of course it should work.
Old 2006-07-01, 4:22am
Cherine Perrin Glass

I ordered mine before she moved and they arrived pretty quick too.
They are great for cutting stringers & twisties. The wheel nippers never come together close enough for that.

-Cherine

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2006-07-01, 6:43am

"NEWS from the new shipping department of Marge and Sue....As of June 1st.
all shipping and inventory has been moved to a facility in Oregon. Prior
to that date several orders were placed with no or little documentation.
We are trying to go back and make corrections where we can. In order to
un-scramble these problems we ask that you e-mail us directly @
corinashipping@IPNS.com...

That's the email I tried... that's the one that bounced back as non deliverable!

Has anyone got an answer from that email address? I'm assuming that mine are in the mail and with a double holiday weekend... who knows when they'll stumble accross the border!

Lynne
Old 2006-07-01, 7:26am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
I received mine a few days ago, delayed a bit by the fact that the new mail carrier didn't knock on the door for my signature. But they arrived in a reasonable amount of time.
Was he expecting you to be hanging around by the mailbox on the off chance that you might possibly have a package coming?

I've been eyeing these nippers for awhile, but I'm afraid to order anything from her right now.

Old 2006-07-01, 2:49pm

I guess I'm just dumb but I have been using pipe cutters all along. I thought that is what everyone did or I would have suggested it before.

Old 2006-07-08, 6:29pm

Has anyone gotten any presses? I ordered a press May 5th and havn't gotten the press and can't get any response from the shipping department. I tried the one above that bounced back and then got another email address that didn't bounce back....but no response? I wondering if I'm just plain out of my 70.00 after almost 2 months? I would love to order the nippers but I'm a pinch shy now after this last experience. I must say though that in the past-she has had extremely fast and efficient shipping and such! Anyway...just wondering if anyone else is still waiting for presses and have they had any success on info?
Linda
Old 2006-07-08, 7:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopydo
Has anyone gotten any presses? I ordered a press May 5th and havn't gotten the press and can't get any response from the shipping department. I tried the one above that bounced back and then got another email address that didn't bounce back....but no response? I wondering if I'm just plain out of my 70.00 after almost 2 months? I would love to order the nippers but I'm a pinch shy now after this last experience. I must say though that in the past-she has had extremely fast and efficient shipping and such! Anyway...just wondering if anyone else is still waiting for presses and have they had any success on info?
Linda
I'm still waiting but I did get a reply from the second email address (after 2 emails) which said I should email the first address saying whether I wanted a refund or to wait until my press comes back into stock. I think the paperwork just got lost. I'd try emailing again

Wendy
Old 2006-07-08, 9:26pm

Maybe you should go to her guestbook and ask about it at this point. I would be worried too.

Old 2006-07-08, 9:48pm

Hmmmm.....perhaps that would be the quickest approach. I just traded some Kronos for the press that I've been trying to get. I guess I may be able to just get a refund. Hopefully just a bunch of connections....not connecting! I try not to get worked up about these things. Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
Linda