The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-31, 7:35am
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
Hey Gelly, I think you should make a piggy with a grill...you know, lustre teeth!
LOL!!! I tried making "grilled pork chops" once with silver wire on his teeth. It wasn't pretty. The silver wire fumed his teeth yellow... looked like a preteen with braces that never brushed his teeth.

I'll have to try to make one using silver glass for the teeth... or maybe iris gold.

(I can't believe Amy called me a ho!! I don't have ANY of the new vetro. or DH odds!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-08-31, 9:42am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMary View Post
This is my t28, got it yesterday. The lustre stays under the encasing!

Those are beautiful! Isn't that the coolest thing that that the lustre is still there when cased

Old 2007-08-31, 9:44am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanglass View Post
Wow, those are beautiful Mary!

And I love the look you got too, Mary Beth! Too bad about the nugget, it is gorgeous.

Here are my experiments. I tried Jayne's recipe with the DSP.
One came out showing all the gorgeous colors, but got kinda wonky as I played with it.

The others though, just came out dark, as you said before.
San - I love these! they don't really look all that dark!

Gelly - that's funny about the yellow teeth. I have a mermaid I made with an ivory body and arms and a Gaia tail. When I reduced the Gaia it fumed most of the ivory. She has a purple belly and arm - looks like she's been in a major fight

Old 2007-08-31, 9:48am
Just Plain

Cool beads, Mary!

Hey Gelly, maybe a pig of a darker color would work with the fuming grill (not all piggies are pink, hehehe)

Old 2007-08-31, 11:01am

Thanks!

Old 2007-08-31, 11:21am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
OK-sadness out of the kiln.
here is a pic of T-25 going into the kiln

and after coming out of the kiln....

My kiln runs hot, but I turned it down to 890F. Garaged for 2.5 hours.....
Any advice is very welcome...thanks!!
Maybe garage a little shorter time? I occasionally see notes about colors on GLDG mentioning some colors don't like to sit too long. Since the DH colors behave a lot like boro strikers it could be a similar problem.

Just a guess though
Old 2007-08-31, 11:36am
Midnight Torcher

Thanks Mary Beth!

I am definitely going to keep at it!
Hope to see more from you--those last ones rocked!

Old 2007-09-01, 6:42am
Just Plain

Quote:
This is my t28, got it yesterday. The lustre stays under the encasing!

Mary, these are cool. Very boro-ish!

Old 2007-09-01, 6:44am
Just Plain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanglass View Post

The others though, just came out dark, as you said before.
San, How'd you get those cool colors? I'm going to try a lighter base.

Old 2007-09-01, 8:19am
Midnight Torcher

Quote:
San, How'd you get those cool colors? I'm going to try a lighter base.
Believe it or not Jayne, that one is your recipe!
T-28 swirled onto DSP (see the dark purple peeking through in the middle?).
I worked it a lot and it got very wonky. I just love all the colors, though.
It really does look that bright.

Unfortunately,... I couldn't get it to happen again.

But I am going to keep trying, because it's too purty to give up on!

Old 2007-09-01, 9:40am
Just Plain

Hmmm...maybe I should slather the DSP with more T25!

Old 2007-09-01, 12:43pm

Default Couple More DH Odds

A couple more testers from me. I am really liking the NYX odd lot.

N56

R74 Has anyone else gotten this reaction from this?

T26

C75

R72 Couldn't get much from this one
Old 2007-09-01, 12:52pm
Midnight Torcher

Donna,

I just love your kitties!!! Gorgeous colors!

Old 2007-09-01, 1:03pm

Thanks they were inspired by Glassymom's kitties. I liked the idea of separating the head but wanted to make them my own. The first ones look more like chihuahuas than cats LOL!
Old 2007-09-02, 3:57am

These are all the amber-looking T26 with clear, or with ivory. Love this stuff!

Old 2007-09-02, 6:48am
Midnight Torcher

Quote:
These are all the amber-looking T26 with clear, or with ivory. Love this stuff!

OMG Mary!!!
Those rock!!!!

Old 2007-09-02, 8:18am

THanks San!

Old 2007-09-02, 8:25am

Good grief those are beautiful beads. I sure hope they will have odds to sell again. I was gone and missed the first. Looks like you all are having fun.
Old 2007-09-03, 5:01pm
da General

Finally got most of my test beads done on the DH Odds (the ones I was lucky enough to get!). There are so many silver threads I don't know which one to post in! LOL!

Name:  DH_Odd1.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  DH_Odd2.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  DH_Odd3.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  30.8 KB

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-09-03, 6:01pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are gorgeous, Hayley!

Old 2007-09-03, 6:04pm
da General

Thanks Mary Beth - now I just have to see if I can have the same result again! LOL!

I posted the "ingredients" in the Silver Color How To & Exchange thread if you are interested.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-09-03, 6:09pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post

(I can't believe Amy called me a ho!! I don't have ANY of the new vetro. or DH odds!)
It was said with love!

Old 2007-09-03, 10:54pm
Just me

Oh man you guys are killing me!
I have been paying very close attention to this thread since Laurie was kind enough to send me some odds rods to play with. I haven't had the chance yet.

Is anyone using a HH with these glass colors? I don't know if I want to mess around with them now on my HH or wait until my oxy con gets fixed and use my piranha.

Oh and I've been saving all the info in this thread into a word doc. I can share if anyone would like, just pm me.

Old 2007-09-03, 11:03pm
da General

Donna - your R74 and my R72 got the same funky speckle reaction!

Love your C75 kitty!

Bubbyanne - MJ is on a HH and has gotten really great results.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-09-03, 11:31pm
Midnight Torcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Finally got most of my test beads done on the DH Odds (the ones I was lucky enough to get!). There are so many silver threads I don't know which one to post in! LOL!

Attachment 46353

Attachment 46354

Attachment 46355
Woweeee! Hayley, those are breathtakingly amazing!
And what a great guide!

Boy, do I wish I had access to as many experimentals as you did!

Old 2007-09-04, 10:50am
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Hey Gelly, I think you should make a piggy with a grill...you know, lustre teeth!

Ok, OT again... sorry... but here is 'Grill'ed Pork Chop

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-09-04, 11:00am
yukue fumei

O my!!!
I go away for a bit and come bac kto amazing amazing eye candy!! WOW!! everyone's beads are sooo gorgeous!!! I love them all!!
Mary--you got so much luster and color I am blown away!!
Sanglass-woohoo! Jaynes recipe looks like a must try!!
Donna- your cats are to die for!! I love them!!!
Hayley--thank you so so very much for the chart and gorgeous bead pics! WOW! I love the effect you got with the R-72 and Kronos Odd especially! WOW!!! So gorgeous!!
And Gelly! Your grilled piggie is soo cute!
I gotta get cracking and make some beads! It's been so hot here, but after seeing everyone's beads, I gotta get out there!!

nagi

Old 2007-09-04, 5:22pm
Just Plain

Hey Gelly...you did it! A piggie with a grill! What a hoot!

Mary & Hayley, great beads! Don't you just love the colors and the lustres?
And Donna, those cats are adorable! You've got a bunch of colors I don't have. Now I'm jealous I like the N56 & R74 best!

Old 2007-09-04, 7:53pm
Catnip Pusher

Thanks to Hayley, I have a few rods of the DH odds. I got a chance to play with them last week, and here are the results:

This is T-25 over yellow ice, encased in clear. I had a very high failure rate with these - over 50% cracked. It was strange, looked like a thermal crack but I know they were plenty hot going into the kiln!

The dots on this bead are C-75, which was supposed to be "a bit like opal yellow". Looks pretty much like Terra to me.

This is T-28 over river rock. I had a devil of a time photographing it - it is not as shiny as it looks, and definitely more colorful. It really reacted with the river rock, too.

Aimee
Old 2007-09-04, 8:07pm
da General

Hi Aimee!

I knew I gave those rods to the right person - your beads, as always, are gorgeous! So sorry about the T25 cracking tho . . . which clear did you use? All my test beads had a pretty heavy stripe of Diamond Clear on them and they all survived. I never encased any completely tho.

Funny you posted two of the ones I didn't make test beads on yet - that's great to see how they react on different base too. Love the river rock set!

|
|
|
|