AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-17, 5:57pm

Default I love the Trautman soft glass colors.

There, I said it. I was going to post in the bathroom but what the heck, I'll do it here.

I think Zeus is my favorite, but maybe black cherry, or oxblood, or wait the crystal clear might be my favorite. I wish I could take some decent pictures. The ones I have never do the pieces justice.

So, anyone want to join me? What are your favorite soft glass 'Elvis' colors?
Old 2008-03-17, 7:29pm
Guera loca

I just ordered the Taxco silver and the 104 Mystery Box. Can't wait to try it all!

Barb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- our restaurant
Old 2008-03-17, 7:30pm
Trying to Hope!

where are these glasses for sale?

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-03-17, 7:30pm
Ad astra per aspera

Okay, where can I get a mystery box???? I'm feeling left out. <pout>

Old 2008-03-17, 7:35pm
Trying to Hope!

http://www.glasshawk.com/104.html I cant afford a mystery box but I will share the link

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-03-17, 9:22pm
Burning through glass

Oh, don't get me started!! These guys are my BEST friends!!

Word has it that the 104 mystery boxes are in VERY short supply, and there's only about 8 of them left (got a message from Jenny today, as a matter of fact). Also, she tells me that if you get a box, there's a feedback form in there, and if you return the form, it goes into a drawing for a free pound of glass! Jenny told me the deadline was for the end of the month...but she hasn't had any responses yet! So she's considering extending the deadline to the end of April...to me that sounds like good odds if no one is submitting yet! Also, they're new website is online now, and is here: www.taglass.com

Anyway, hmm, I have a shameless plug for them too.....
Back when the bead show was in Tucson, I had mentioned something to Ross at ABR that I was testing a new color for TAG...well, Ross has it now, so keep you're eyes peeled for the "new-comer".

Zeus is my ALL TIME favorite, but then I'm partial to ultraviolet purple. (try it over transparent orange, or gold rubino), to me, there's nothing else like it. Tibet is gorgeous. Buddha is a beautiful creamy blue when heavily reduced. The clear is CRYSTAL! And hopefully they're making more Cezanne! This glass rocks.

Renee Wiggins

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2008-03-18, 5:31pm

I wish I never saw this thread ..LOL
Old 2008-03-18, 10:37pm
Burning through glass

Oh, and I forgot Dalai Lama. A very nice swirly colorful glass! All the TAG glasses melt like butta. Very nice indeed.
If you're a boro worker, Paul's boro line colors are so nice... fab colors; check out the gallery artists!....just wish they'd make a 104 mango or apricot...hint hint Paul!!

Geeze, I'm not complaining! Luv you guys!!
Renee

Renee

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2008-03-18 at 10:49pm.
Old 2008-03-19, 6:31am

Just what I get for posting and going to town. A mystery box!?! Must check into that as soon as I'm home and hope the budget allows. Edit: I couldn't wait. I looked. I think the budget could have handled it but they seem to be gone.

I get mine from Ross at www.abrimagery.com. I can do the link if anyone wants the exact page. I don't like his pictures I order on faith, which I rarely do. But I love the glass. (It is in a tie for me with Black Nebula and Green Envy but that is a different company, they too have a fabulous clear. I hope they produce more colors soon.) I had decent pictures. I really really want to order more colors soon, but will wait until after the off mandrel class I'm taking in a week. (Darn budget or lack of will power, I almost always try to order full pounds.)

Oh and Renee I'm jealous.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2008-03-19 at 6:33am.
Old 2008-03-19, 9:05am

We sell these colors too if you are on the East Coast and right now we have 10% off and lots in stock!
They are great colors and they are also the nicest people to work with. They really want you to be happy.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-03-19, 2:12pm

Wow! Such kind feedback! Thanks everyone!
Thank you, Nancy! BTW the 104 Mystery Boxes are still available... $100 for 2 lb of mixed Rare and Special soft-glass, with free shipping in the continental US. I know I have four or five at hand at the moment. These contain some of the stuff you see under "Rare and Special 104" on the site, www.taglass.com. Our Pay Pal link is funky today, but you can call us. The "Rare and Special" is incomplete right now, because I am running around like a chicken with it's... well you know where I'm going with that bloody metaphor. But these are the colors that we've only produced in small batches, or are otherwise experimental (and therefore aren't available in enough quantity to bother a real distributor like Paula or Ross or Winship with them.)
And YES! Thank you, Renee, the deadline for the drawing IS NOW OFFICIALLY EXTENDED! Folks who buy the Mystery Box get feedback forms that, when returned, get put in a drawing for free glass. I had put it at March 30th but glass-a-holics can be slackers on paperwork, so I will do the first Mystery Box Feedback drawing on APRIL 30th now. Your odds of winning are incredibly high at the moment, as no one has sent me back a form to date - laff! And really, we love the praise but need to hear back if people don't like something, too.

We have a Boro Box o' Mystery, as well, if you are bi-glassual. That's 3lb for $100, with free shipping in the continental US, $5 to Canada.
~Jenny @ TAG
Old 2008-03-19, 11:11pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
bi-glassual
ROLF!!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-03-20, 12:37am
Entropy increasing....

Oh no.
Old 2008-04-07, 5:05pm
aka Pele's Fire

Well, since you guys love the glass, can someone please tell me how to get a reaction from zeus? I was highly disappointed. The stuff just stayed a flat light gold color on reducing. Apparrently there is a trick to using all of the siver colors and I am making some horribly expensive mistakes.

Terryl
Old 2008-04-07, 5:39pm

AH yes... the Zeus has puzzled lots of folks, but the secret appears to be to lightly reduce THEN strike it. It took me a few beads to work out the method, but about 4 passes in a moderately reducing flame, cool the bead (the Zeus should now have halos where you dotted it down, if you're doing dots) THEN reheat in a neutral flame once, twice, three times. Cool between each reheating and you should get some strong colors if you have a dark background color. It's not that interesting over white or ivory, but great on black and other dark colors. Also changes Rubino Oro in really interesting ways. I'll have to get a picture of that & post it. Thanks for asking! I really like Zeus, but I guess this reduce-then-strike thing is kinda different, even for the silver glasses. ~Jenny @ TAG
Old 2008-04-07, 5:59pm

Default Zeus images

I finished my other work, so here are a few quick (meaning no tweaking) images of the Zeus beads I made this last weekend.

First, is Zeus over black Vetrofond, with encasement dots of TAG Super Clear. Zeus likes to be encased. If you are having trouble getting it to strike, sometimes it will strike easier under the clear.

Here is Zeus over Effetre medium amethyst. Some parts are exposed, other parts have a little Super Clear over them.

And here is Zeus on Effetre Rubino Oro, aka Gold Ruby. I have to thank Renee Wiggins in Tucson for this combo! When you reduce the Zeus, the Rubino goes gold and mirrored; but when I struck the Zeus the Rubino went orange!

I hope this helps... I really like this glass. ~Jenny the Firebrand (and TAG soft glass gal)
Old 2008-04-07, 6:36pm

Wow Jenny. You sure make that color sing!!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-08, 10:26am
yukue fumei

Gorgeous beads Jenny!

BTW-I figured out why I was bubbling the clear....I lowered my O2 pressure a bit and switched to a fatter rod and voila--awesome clarity and no scumming! I gotta order more fat rods--this clear is really nice!
I did some more TAG encasing and trying to keep to one silver color at a time...my results so far are good(knock wood!).
I think the cracking could be because I mix so many different manufacturers' glass all on one bead...... The cracking shows up after a few days(sometimes a month!) so I will keep my fingers crossed!
Thanks!!

nagi

Old 2008-04-08, 1:29pm

Thanks, Nagi! Great tip on working with more gas, less oxy. That's a hotter flame, but it must be one of the secrets - now that you mention it, I am thinking that was the difference between the beads I made last week on the oxy-con and the tanked oxy (with the tanked oxy beads I had to pick more crap off the clear.) I think I have a half-pound of TAG Super Clear 'fats' in the shipping room as we speak, but I need to ask the guys to make the next batch gets pulled as half thin, half fat rods.
BTW, I am keeping an eye on this ASK+TAG bead to see if anything develops. If it cracks, I'll post a pic and see if we can figure out the culprit. Thanks! ~Jenny
Old 2008-04-08, 1:47pm
yukue fumei

Woohoo!
Thanks Jenny!!!
What size fatties are they? I would love any size between 7-10 mm....I want to do a few more tests before I order... I haven't even touched the red yet! I just tried a bit of the Silver Fir yesterday and though the bead was a mess, the color rocked!
thanks too for keeping an eye on the ASK/Tag issue. knock wood all goes well....

LOL--I ordered the boro mystery box but maybe I shoulda ordered the 104 too!
eeeee!
BTW--- Peach Cove rocks! And the Wisteria Blizzard looks awesome over the Cobalt Blizzard!

nagi

Old 2008-04-08, 2:08pm

Well... our typical rods are 4mm or so... and the fats are more like 5 - 7 mm. Not that big, really (I was surprised when I measured them, since they are NOTICEABLY fatter than the rest of the box, which is actually pretty thin at 3mm average.) And it is nearly a full pound. I saw one thin rod in there, must have been to bring it up to weight!

Yeah, the Silver Fir is good, and I am now out of it. (*Maybe* a quarter-pound left??) We'll need to make more, that was a pretty good color. I still have Taxco Silver Turquoise, Fire Opal, Green Silver Leaf, JD Mix and a few others of the Rare & Special 104 glass that was in the Mystery Boxes. www.taglass.com if you want to know more.
The next thing I plan to do for the 104 line is pull out and put on the website the "Rare & Special" stuff that was part of the regular runs: Like some striped rods that came from the bottom of the "Dalai Dark" batch. Or the half-pound of Zeus that came out cored with some streaks of Dalai. There are some amazing rods that are half-Dalai, half-Tibet - opaque caramel on the outside, and transparent amber/purple inside. Some of that was in the Mystery Boxes as "Transcendental." Woof. So many rods, so little time...

Thanks for the kind words on the Peach Cove (I liked that one, too.) Post some pics in the boro room -- I'd love to see your Wisteria + Cobalt Blizzard! ~Jenny

Last edited by Firebrand Beads; 2008-04-08 at 2:09pm. Reason: Doh! forgot the url
Old 2008-04-08, 2:15pm

Oh the Specials sound Soooo Yummy!!
I always like fatter clear rods to encase with myself!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-08, 2:44pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Well... our typical rods are 4mm or so... and the fats are more like 5 - 7 mm. Not that big, really (I was surprised when I measured them, since they are NOTICEABLY fatter than the rest of the box, which is actually pretty thin at 3mm average.) And it is nearly a full pound. I saw one thin rod in there, must have been to bring it up to weight!

Yeah, the Silver Fir is good, and I am now out of it. (*Maybe* a quarter-pound left??) We'll need to make more, that was a pretty good color. I still have Taxco Silver Turquoise, Fire Opal, Green Silver Leaf, JD Mix and a few others of the Rare & Special 104 glass that was in the Mystery Boxes. www.taglass.com if you want to know more.
The next thing I plan to do for the 104 line is pull out and put on the website the "Rare & Special" stuff that was part of the regular runs: Like some striped rods that came from the bottom of the "Dalai Dark" batch. Or the half-pound of Zeus that came out cored with some streaks of Dalai. There are some amazing rods that are half-Dalai, half-Tibet - opaque caramel on the outside, and transparent amber/purple inside. Some of that was in the Mystery Boxes as "Transcendental." Woof. So many rods, so little time...

Thanks for the kind words on the Peach Cove (I liked that one, too.) Post some pics in the boro room -- I'd love to see your Wisteria + Cobalt Blizzard! ~Jenny
7 mm rods are perfect....the one I used that was thin was about 4mm....

Fire opal! Green Silver Leaf! JD mix?! heeelp! LOL!!! note to my Hubby: "Dearest Hubby, I love you lots but I'm sorry I cannot stay on the glass diet...." love, your glassfat wifey

Whew--it's been a loong time since I posted in the boro room--gotta make something besides test beads LOL! ....but I will do it!

nagi

Old 2008-04-08, 6:00pm

I love my TAG glass. I love the JD Mix and the Taxco silver turquoise. I need to fill out my paperwork!!
Amy

Old 2008-04-08, 7:52pm
Life is change. Love it

I haven't had much luck at all with the fire opal and Jenny I have tried everything you recommended for the grey llama, and absolutely nothing! And when I say nothing, I mean not the slightest little bit of colour change even when melting initially in a reduction flame. I've even tried it again on the Mega Minor I'm trialing for Nortel to see if a different torch would make a difference, but all I get is grey, and not even a very nice grey!
If anyone wants this glass it is free to a good home just pay me the shipping

Old 2008-04-09, 7:51am
Ellyloo-YAH!

This is my first try with.... it must have been zeus?
It's milky on the rod I believe.

I softened it in a slightly reducing flame, and thats what got the luminescent green (I think). the dark blue is the same colour, natural, no reduction.
Encased.

Oh my, sorry it's so huge.

Old 2008-04-09, 8:07am
yukue fumei

ooooo-that's pretty!
Thanks for the photo ellyloo!

Carolyn--is grey llama an odd color? What does it look like on the rod? Do you have pics of the fire opal?
Thanks!

nagi

Old 2008-04-09, 12:42pm
Life is change. Love it

Yes, grey llama is a very odd lot, and looks grey in the rod and in the bead except where I've burned the crap out of it.

Fire opal and grey llama pictured below along with a scrap of Tibet, which is an awesome glass, I absolutely love it

BTW Taramag has pmed me about the free offer, so it will be going to her!
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-09, 12:44pm
yukue fumei

Pic is not showing up for me Carolyn, Thanks!

nagi

Old 2008-04-09, 1:33pm
yukue fumei

Ah-there it is...wonder why it didn't show up before...thanks so much for the photo!!!
the fire opal looks interesting....what did it do/not do? Please post--it really helps making glass purchases.
I have a bunch of soft glass silver colors that kinda look the same---it's great that you posted the melted ends--that helps alot!

not saying this about any one manufacturer or glass, but....it's sometimes a bummer when you get something that looks or works exactly like another glass you already have. Thanks for the help!

Just a thought....another thing cool about Taxco Turquoise(as well as DH Psyche) is that it is great for getting that River Rock effect out of Marbled Avocado....if you can stand the shockiness of the glass(yikes!), it is a great cheaper alternative to River Rock....I couldn't get it to do the effect with some of the opaque silver glasses, but Psyche was good......it needs more working time but it will bloom!

I gotta see if annealing the rods help--otherwise I am gonna melt all those rods all together and pull my own stringer...yiii is it poppy!

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2008-04-09 at 1:53pm. Reason: wanted to add an extra note on Taxco and Psyche