No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-30, 3:51pm

Default Fimo fairy babies?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-BaBy-FAIRY-FAc...d=p3911.c0.m14

Has anyone here seen these? They have always intrigued me but I was wondering if anyone has purchased this and tried it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2009-08-30 at 3:53pm.
Old 2009-08-30, 4:55pm
I speak Murrini!

O-M-G!!!! These are amazingly adorable!!!! Now I wanna try.... Wonder if I could make one of these from PMC? It would be heavy, but who cares!

I think I....can't.....RESIST!

I'm thinking I'd like face #4, #6 and #34.

Which ones are your favs? I'm assuming you can no longer hold out - pfftttt!

Completely enabled,
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-08-30, 6:50pm
birdergirl ~o~

Um ,...
It says the wings are REAL dragonfly wInge
it sounds like a waste of a perfectly good dragonfly to me
maybe someone can make glass wings instead!
Killing a dragonfly??? That's just icky.
IMHO

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-08-30, 7:02pm

Haaa.... I was thinking the same thing but...could I make them out of glass? I don't think so though. I was going to order one and try it but I didn't really look at the different faces yet. I'm going to take a look now though. Her feedback is good and it seems like they are doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
O-M-G!!!! These are amazingly adorable!!!! Now I wanna try.... Wonder if I could make one of these from PMC? It would be heavy, but who cares!

I think I....can't.....RESIST!

I'm thinking I'd like face #4, #6 and #34.

Which ones are your favs? I'm assuming you can no longer hold out - pfftttt!

Completely enabled,
De

Old 2009-08-30, 7:03pm

I didn't read that far but the wings were not the focal point for me. I want to make the fairy. The dragonflies are not in any danger in my backyard I really would make them out of glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Um ,...
It says the wings are REAL dragonfly wInge
it sounds like a waste of a perfectly good dragonfly to me
maybe someone can make glass wings instead!
Killing a dragonfly??? That's just icky.
IMHO

Old 2009-08-30, 7:25pm
Mary Lockwood

I would imagine the dragonfly wings were umm...'harvested' from a naturally dead dragonfly.

People use found items like that all the time.

Look at all the people electroforming insects. Found dead- not murdered.

Old 2009-08-30, 8:04pm

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I would imagine the dragonfly wings were umm...'harvested' from a naturally dead dragonfly.

Old 2009-08-30, 9:28pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Yes, I've tried sculpting babies and it was time consuming for me. I did finally get a great baby face, but then the hands and feet were really difficult for me to get them natural looking. Just like glass, you have to practice. One bit of advice though, you should wear latex or tight fitting gloves when sculpting. Eventhough you have just washed your hands there is still oil on them and the clay picks that up. Also every teeny bit of dust or hair. Which you can't really control, it's just in the air. I used to put mine on waxed paper and sculpted them on it to reduce any dust. Like glass much better.

Ebay:
Old 2009-08-31, 6:08am
birdergirl ~o~

This is a nice thought I hope it's true, people have done stranger things of course. I know dead insect can be bought online, I doubt they were found after having died in their sleep of natural causes ! LOL
GLass wings would be much more durable too.
The babies are very cute!
The is someone here on LE that had made some tiny babies, but I can't remember who.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2009-08-31, 6:16am
N2Beadz

Okay, I've been noticing dead dragflies all over my yard over the last few days. Would any of you be interested in the wings if they aren't damaged? Heck, let me go check out the two spots I remember seeing them yesterday before the rain sets back in. I even have to fish them out of the pool every now and then.

Old 2009-08-31, 6:18am
birdergirl ~o~

Ok ! So I guess they CAN be found after dying in their sleep of a natural death!
I stand corrected!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doniaduck View Post
Okay, I've been noticing dead dragflies all over my yard over the last few days. Would any of you be interested in the wings if they aren't damaged? Heck, let me go check out the two spots I remember seeing them yesterday before the rain sets back in. I even have to fish them out of the pool every now and then.

Old 2009-08-31, 6:23am
birdergirl ~o~

Found it !
Ons11
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...by#post2087101

Old 2009-08-31, 6:31am
N2Beadz

The deceased dragon flies I found in the yard have damaged wings. If anyone is interested I'll keep an eye out for more. It seems I'm finding a couple a day. Usually they are whole and unharmed when I first see them. If anyone is interested contact me and I'll save them. Our temps are changing up from the high 80's and 90's to the low to mid 70's so maybe this will affect them even more. Their life spans seem to be coming to an end over the last couple of days. I will miss them. Soon all the beauty that nature provides during the hot months will be ending. My butterflies and hummingbirds will be disappearing within days I'm sure.

Old 2009-08-31, 6:36am
Wahwahbabypants

Aw make 'em out of glass. Someone did an amazing fairy wing necklace a while back and her glass wings looked just like a dragonfly. I still dream about that necklace lol !

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-08-31, 6:37am
Wahwahbabypants

Found it...how beautiful would these wings look on the fimo babies? Adorable I'd say!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=fairy+wing

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-08-31, 6:40am
Growing Edge Glass

maybe wings made from sterling/fine wire and finer wire woven across the shaped wing...know what I mean?

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-08-31, 7:41am
Ad astra per aspera

Dragonflies show up dead in our yard from time to time. I actually had one that died on our picnic table. It took me 3 days to decide it was truly dead. Poor thing. I 'buried' it in my veggie garden.

Old 2009-08-31, 8:32am

I hope you made him a little glass headstone and no, I am not being sarcastic. I would have buried him too. I'm such a dork but it looks like I'm not alone

I have worked with fimo pretty extensively in the past but these babies are so perfect, I'm sure it would be a lot of practice. The faces are molds, they come with the instructional video so that wouldn't be a problem, just the rest of it. My daughter was cringing when she saw them on my computer screen. She said they were "UGLY IEWWW YOUR NOT GOING TO MAKE THOSE ARE YOU?" So.....just for that, I think I'll take a crack at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Dragonflies show up dead in our yard from time to time. I actually had one that died on our picnic table. It took me 3 days to decide it was truly dead. Poor thing. I 'buried' it in my veggie garden.

Old 2009-08-31, 8:47am

OMG, those fairy wings are just amazing. I have never seen that post before from Barb. I think something like that made with clear dichro would be perfect. Thanks Charlene for finding that thread. And thank you Doniaduck for offering to find and save deceased dragonflies wings! I think that goes above and beyond the call of duty!

I'm going to order this and see what happens. I have some ideas that I might want to add to the babies. I love anything fairyish. I would love to make a glass base that is all magical and sparkly to set them on.

The fairies are something I thought would be nice to do at night in front of the TV. I have a hard time just sitting and watching but I'm too tired at that point to do anything else. I bought one of those "as seen on TV" trays that you can pull under the couch or a chair. It's all adjustable. When I brought it home, everyone laughed at me and now, I can't get it away from my husband and kids. Damn hypocritical thieves. Anyway, it's perfect for crafting.

Old 2009-08-31, 8:50am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

You can make dragonfly wings using liquid fimo/kato clay.

Add mica powders or eyeshadow to give it sparkle.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-08-31, 10:26am
NW Oregon

Hi Cynthia;

My first thought was that soon we will be seeing those perfect little fairies made by you, in glass, draped over one of your perfect floral beads! I believe you can do it! And I love the idea of glass wings if you do the fairys in Fimo.

I just got home from the Eugene Flame Off and wow, did that make me want to do scupltural pieces! So, could you please figure out how to make the fairies in glass and then write up a tutorial for the rest of us

Can't wait to see what you do with this Ebay set!

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2009-08-31, 10:36am
Mary Lockwood

Yeah...maybe it is because we live so near a huge lake but I constantly find dead dragonflies in really good shape. LOL I guess that is why it didn't seem so far-fetched to me.

We all come from different environments I guess- your norm is not my norm. LOL

Old 2009-08-31, 10:53am
I speak Murrini!

I'm so intrigued with these! I've ordered a set - couldn't resist!

As I mentioned, I'm thinking if the smallest baby is a mere 1 1/4", then I SHOULD be able to do this in PMC, right? Of course, the whole "drying out" that's part of the PMC-Curse might be a problem. But then again, maybe just the little face with fairy wings at the back, or flower petals framing it - made into a pendant - how cute would THAT be!?!

I've had a couple quick conversations with the designer of this product (I requested the "silicone" version of the face mold for the PMC work) and she seems like a very nice and talented person! I'm wondering if anyone would mind me inviting her into this thread? I'm gonna guess she doesn't slay dragonflies for their wings and prolly has either a natural or alternative source - much like someone here who offered the wings they find from pre-deceased dragons.

What do you think? I certainly wouldn't want to have her come in here, only to have to defend herself but hope she can give us tips, guidance and encouragement.

I'll await your feedback before sending the Convo (through Etsy, where she also sells):

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5455905

De

(and PS to Cynthia, who got me interested in these with this thread post..."I'M GONNA GET YOU!!!" ~De)

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-08-31 at 9:08pm.
Old 2009-08-31, 11:18am

I would love it De. I'm so glad you ordered too. Now we can me miserable trying to do this together I emailed her with a question about the face molds but have not heard back yet. I ordered #81, #4, and maybe #46. I wanted to know which face she used for the fairy in the flower. It's a larger one. I think it would be awesome to make them out of PMC. Not for me though. I'm PMC challenged. Oh the things you could do. I keep thinking of tiny Swarovski crystals fer somethin'.

Oh, and Jennifer, I'll get right on that tutorial teaching all how to make perfect little babies at the torch, as soon as I get sprinkled with fairy dust

Can't I just glue the fimo baby on the glass bead? Pretty please?

Oh, I ordered mine off of Ebay. I got the DVD and three face molds. I didn't even know she was on Etsy. You can't catch me De

Last edited by glassactcc; 2009-08-31 at 11:21am.
Old 2009-08-31, 12:23pm
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post

Oh, and Jennifer, I'll get right on that tutorial teaching all how to make perfect little babies at the torch, as soon as I get sprinkled with fairy dust

Can't I just glue the fimo baby on the glass bead? Pretty please?

Oh, I ordered mine off of Ebay. I got the DVD and three face molds. I didn't even know she was on Etsy. You can't catch me De
Yippee, Could you do the tutorial before Christmas...that's the tutorial for the glass fairy, I mean (insert evil grin here). I'll watch for fairy dust and if I find any, I'll send it to you

By the way, I just went and ordered three faces and a DVD but you'll have to commiserate with my sister in law because I'm sending the set to her for her birthday. It will be perfect for her so I owe you a big THANK YOU. It's rare to find a gift that I know will be just perfect!

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2009-08-31, 2:04pm

Oh YEAH! I have two of you in my web now. Jennifer, what a great gift. I would love to be your sister-in-law. I just hope I don't start getting hate mail from all y'all that purchased this or was gifted it. I might have to change my identity here

Old 2009-08-31, 9:09pm
I speak Murrini!

I've sent an invite to the Fairy Baby lady, Cherylamie...hope she comes to join us!

De

Old 2009-08-31, 9:12pm

Oh good De. I hope she comes too.

Old 2009-08-31, 10:22pm

Thank you Cynthia and DeAnne for inviting me to share with you .
First of all ... Love glass and collect handmade marbles and cool beads.
I even have bought glass, torch etc. but have not been brave enough
to try it!!!!

and you guessed right, I have a backyard seasonal pool and I live in the country between two ponds. I haven't figured out why they land in the pool and die there. I do know they have a short flying life but it is still sad to see.

I like to think they live on somehow when combined with the little baby fairies

I do like to share my love of creating the little beings . so ask away.

Cherylamie
Old 2009-09-01, 1:03am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, YAY! You're here! That Butterfly Fairy Baby is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing it!

I think that's a terribly sweet sentiment and believe there's surely a reason that the dragonflies somehow find their way to your gentle and creative hands in their twilight.

A-ha! I somehow had a feeling that you might enjoy glass goodies as well! Now how do we get you to fire up that torch? Thank you for offering us your assistance...if I can give you any guidance on your future adventures in glass, just ask!

I am curious...I marvel in your ability to "pose" your darling creations in such life-like positions. I'm thinking I might try and find an Anne Geddes book on Amazon, but for now, I've found these inspiring links:

http://www.annegeddes.com/Modules/An...ies/index.aspx

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Garden-An...791684&sr=1-11

I think I need that "Down in the Garden" book...unless you have a better recommendation! It's quite a bargain on Amazon!

De