No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-11-09, 9:47am
HotFlash Designs

Default Playing with glasskolben

I originally started a thread in the bathroom. To say "I'm going to play today" and it evolved into people giving a few tips. So I am going to transfer the info here, but not with names of the people who posted, because they may not want their name attached outside of the bathroom.

My original post:

I bought a case of them last year. I am going to actually OPEN that case today. I have 4 colors of compatible frit to use.

Last time I played with glasskolben I was disappointed. (IN my skills) Now I'm thinking "Why not? I have all of the stuff I need, how else will I learn?"

I was taught by using vermiculite. Why can't I just put them in my kiln like beads?

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2015-11-09, 9:48am
HotFlash Designs

First tip reply:

I put them in the kiln with my soft glass program and they came out just fine. Heat them way out in the flame and slowly bring them in. It is soft glass so it will soften pretty quickly. Get a nice even heat on the bubble then blow but not hard - just puffs.

Old 2015-11-09, 9:50am
HotFlash Designs

My sad attempts.

Lol I think I'm just not patient today. Here are #'s 1 & 5. The 4 in the middle aren't really much better. None deserve the kiln but I put a couple in just because it was on.

Then I decided to get out the boro and make icicles. I didn't realize how bad my hand/arm are. So I quit. (For the day)
Attached Images

Old 2015-11-09, 9:53am
HotFlash Designs

tips by 2 different people:

I finally figured out how to make them this year. If you watch the Delphi video closely(like I did several times in the last few years) she stops heating on the shoulder. Once I stopped heating above that, they came out much better. When you are putting the frit on the inside- make sure you keep turning to get an even coat or you will not get a good even heat. I get them hot and almost flopping, keep turning them as I bring them to my mouth, count to 4, and blow gently as I keep turning. Much better success this year. Really the secret was to not heat above the shoulder.

I garage them in my kiln set to 960 as I make them. The only problem I had was with putting them in too soon. They would get a flat spot then. So make sure they have gotten a bit hard before you place them in the kiln.

Old 2015-11-09, 10:00am
Pincel de Fuego

I also read somewhere that they crack easily in the flame possibly from not being annealed? That's a problem I had... Would it help to batch anneal them first and then heat them up in the bead door so that they're hot going In the flame? Would that help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
Old 2015-11-09, 10:12am
Marble Lover

My tip would be to watch Shawnette's video. In my opinion, it is a better visual description of how to be successful with the Glaskolben.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8h0hD5rzmc

-BEP
Old 2015-11-09, 10:22am

I was just going to post Shawnette's video. lol
Here are a couple from Delphi-
http://www.delphiglass.com/video_view?vid=Sd-dtdcVoOI
http://www.delphiglass.com/video_view?vid=Ejdz6Xr7Rts

and a pdf- http://images.delphiglass.com/assets/210820.pdf

Old 2015-11-09, 12:05pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

We have always just annealed in the back of the torch (using a hot head) and then put in vermiculite. Rarely have cracks. When you're making huge batches of them it's pretty inconvenient to try using a kiln for them.

When we teach the class students make about 6-8 and so vermiculite does a great job. And much cheaper than a kiln if you just want to make ornaments forever.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2015-11-09, 1:03pm
Pincel de Fuego

Mine crack as they enter the flame... how does she put it directly in there like that???

/
/
Old 2015-11-09, 1:09pm
Loving learning

I watched Rocio Bearer do some, and she started far out in the flame, and gradually brought it toward her as she turned it.
Old 2015-11-09, 2:21pm
HotFlash Designs

Elektra, maybe I should come take your class! I'm just out in the burbs. (I learn better hands on)

I looked at your schedule the other day and already forgot it.

Old 2015-11-19, 12:58pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantonetoo View Post
Elektra, maybe I should come take your class! I'm just out in the burbs. (I learn better hands on)

I looked at your schedule the other day and already forgot it.
We are always willing to teach!

I think once you figure out the small tricks, they are very very easy. It just might take some mistakes first!

On a HH it takes about 5-8 minutes, and we timed it on the minor, and to heat it and blow out is about a minute and 24 seconds. So it can be done! But I actually think the hot head is much better for starting out. Slower times mean you can really understand what the glass wants! Then apply it to a hotter torch later.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2015-11-19, 5:55pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

Now that I have them figured out, I find them terribly addicting.
I would happily take any that people don't want as I am running out.

Pam
Old 2015-11-19, 8:22pm
Loving learning

Pam did you check the bulk buy to see if they are all gone? I know he had extras for a while at least.
Old 2015-11-22, 2:52pm
Pincel de Fuego

Default Playing with glasskolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
On a HH it takes about 5-8 minutes, and we timed it on the minor, and to heat it and blow out is about a minute and 24 seconds. So it can be done! But I actually think the hot head is much better for starting out.

Please know that this information can be misleading for some readers. These times are on propane or mapp?

Locally I don't have access to pure propane. I am using propane-butane mix. It does NOT get hot enough to make a glaskolben or anything blown on a HH. It was very disappointing for me to find that out with a large box of glaskolbens I wouldn't be able to use - because everyone online is talking about how easy it is to make them on hotheads and does not specify that it ONLY works with pure propane or mapp.

/
/
Old 2015-11-22, 4:13pm
Back to 👊 1

Gabi, are you looking to maybe selling off your glaskolben??

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2015-11-22, 11:23pm

I have some and ordered more frit that was too big.

Id like to see how quick they could be made with my Phantom.
Old 2015-11-23, 8:09pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

They don't always have to be round. You can take a pair of tweezers and grab the little button and pull as you blow.
Attached Images

Old 2015-11-29, 9:23pm

Here is my crummy video showing how I do them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27_CSXByd3s
Old 2015-11-29, 9:29pm

That one was on a Carlisle Hellcat. Somewhere on my youtube I have one on a Nortel Minor.
Old 2015-12-02, 3:03pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabiLoraine View Post
Please know that this information can be misleading for some readers. These times are on propane or mapp?

Locally I don't have access to pure propane. I am using propane-butane mix. It does NOT get hot enough to make a glaskolben or anything blown on a HH. It was very disappointing for me to find that out with a large box of glaskolbens I wouldn't be able to use - because everyone online is talking about how easy it is to make them on hotheads and does not specify that it ONLY works with pure propane or mapp.
I've done it with propane, and chemtane. And now, natural gas for a minor.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2015-12-03, 6:08am
Pincel de Fuego

No. I had to get a double fuel torch..... So I can use them now. I just haven't figured it out and haven't had the patience

/
/