Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

View Poll Results: Would you prefer DVD or Written Tutorials or both?
Prefer DVD Tutorial 19 31.15%
Prefer PDF or written Tutorial 50 81.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-08-19, 10:49am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcuniques View Post
Thanks Lavender. Yeah, I'm talking Video, Not photo's on a DVD. I want to do a live DVD in action.. and also do a pdf with still shots for the torching area. My video won't just have the pleats but start to finish live step by step how to make the pleated vessel and how to create even matching swan neck handles. I figure if I do both, people will have choices on format. That's why I vote for both.

Voting for both is good! I would be interested in the PDF.

As to why backups - I guess it is my 25 years in the computer industry that makes me do it! It's amazing how easily a DVD can be destroyed or misplaced.
I do it all of the time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-19, 10:50am
da General

I guess the best example for me is the Tonbo Dama book and dvd. I only watched the dvd once but looked at the book many, many times. So to me, a written tutorial will probably get more use than a video DVD.

Having said that, there will always be techniques that are better shown in a video setting than with static images.

Also something to consider . . . CD/DVDs are much, much more time consuming than pdf via email from a fulfillment standpoint. My Silver Color Booklet is available both in low res pdf via email and hi res pdf on a CD via mailing (reason being that with over 170+ hi res images, the hi-res pdf is 54 MB in size!). I have to say that copying CD/DVDs, printing the labels, adhering the labels, printing mailing label, packaging and mailing do take a big chunk of time. And if you ship international (as I do) . . . you have to fill out the custom forms and have to go and stand in line at the post office!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-08-19, 11:02am
Boro Brat

Hayley has a really good point...it's so easy to e-mail the pdf files...no writing labels or messing with packing...very nice!

Old 2008-08-19, 2:56pm
I need more boro stuff

I chose both As long I can learn something, any will do

Old 2008-08-19, 5:07pm

I can't take credit for the quicik reference sheet, I have one from Helen's tutorial that she made up and I keep it on the top of the printed out pdf and refer to it constantly when I'm trying to make the flowers. I love it!
Old 2008-08-19, 7:11pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcuniques View Post
I do have a question. Why would we need a back up copy of a DVD when we already have the DVD? Just curious
I don't know about DVDs, but I had several CD Roms that were chewed up by my CD Rom player and I had a heck of a time replacing them, because they were older versions of software I couldn't live without. Now I always make backups of my CD Roms.

I know a Lampworking DVD would be just as dear to me. If my machine ruined it or my youngest grandson somehow got hold of it, I would like to have a backup copy, just in case. If the seller made it unable to be copied, it would work just as well if they would replace a ruined copy. Maybe they could keep records of those who purchased their DVD and offer to replace the copy if it becomes damaged?

I think it would be really wonderful to have both versions available to buy like you said in your edited comment:

ETA~ You know what I think would be awesome, and I know it's a lot of work and not everyone that creates tut's will want to do this, but why not create tuts in both formats, Live DVD and PDF to offer. That way, one can purchase either if they want and offer the other at a huge discount or comp.
Example~ If someone buys the DVD, then send them the PDF too as comp, but if someone buys the PDF, offer the DVD for half price plus shipping.

That's why I didn't vote on your Poll question. I would've voted for both ways. You just might end up selling more versions, which would make it worth your while in the long run. I usually have no problem following written tutorials, but my son (who works with boro) does have issues. He would be more likely to buy Pipyr's Tutorials if they were offered in DVD form, for example. People are so different in their learning styles and needs. If you had the energy, maybe it would really pay to cover all your bases. If not...I don't think anyone would complain either.

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2008-08-19, 7:21pm

You know you can vote both, right? If you want both..
Old 2008-08-20, 5:08am

Call me old fashioned if you like, but I prefer holding and reading printed instructions in my hands while lying in bed (hoping to absorb info in my sleep), or eating a leisurely meal. I don't have a DVD player near my torching area - just as well - too easily distracted by moving images and that darn flame is sooooo hot. I love to watch things done, but by now, I should be able to learn from well written and photographed tutorials.
I especially like the price and ease of downloading them from the computer.

A note to all who have authored tutorials.... Brava! I am enjoying all that I have purchased so far. Thanks for doing working so hard on producing a good product. Oh, and I also love supporting my friends efforts.

Sals
Old 2008-08-22, 12:21am
Slightly Askew.....

If the photos can describe the technique w/out the description, I am extremely happy, not that descriptions aren't important!! However I don't think videos always fill that bill. Plus I'm an instant gratification kind of girl so if I get it in an email within minutes or even hours I'm smiling & off to the torch, wire or whatever!!!

~A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~

Old 2008-08-22, 1:01pm
Covered in glitter

If it's going to be 'action' then I'd like a DVD. Otherwise I'm fine with a good PDF. If there are enough good pictures it seems fine to me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-08-22, 1:09pm
Dead man walking

Here is something you might want to consider, you can control the PDF, who has access, what they can do in it, revoke it and track it as well. You can also watermark, force people to view it online vs. offline and enforce version control. Anyway, you can protect your PDFs. Here is a link to the free trial:

https://dc.adobe.com/adc/login.do?ne...2Fadc%2Fadc.do
Old 2008-08-26, 8:07pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I like a printed page best but would prefer the option of both for some tuts like hollows that involves a bit more than just color combos.

Old 2008-08-26, 9:05pm
Super Duper

You just have to accept the entire copying issue, the truth is that if someone wants to copy something, they will find a way.

I personally don't really care, the chances are that if they are going to try to pirate a copy somehow, they aren't the type that would buy it anyways so nothing is lost.
Old 2008-08-26, 10:22pm

WOW! All of the info and suggestions in this thread have helped me tremendously!
Thank you SO SO much everyone!! I've finally finished the PDF tutorial and it's going online tomorrow around noon. I"ll be starting a new thread with the information and how to pay etc with price and size of file and the entire specs on the Tutorial download.
Pipyr Down loaded my tutorial this evening and it took her about a minute to Down load it. We've had several family members download the file from our online file storage with the same or near the same time. We also had my son download it using dial up and it took him a little over 20 minutes. It's a 17 meg file.
We are not sending it through e-mail and that makes a huge difference. We own an online storage that we've uploaded the file to that is exclusive password protected for each purchase and after it's downloaded, the password in inactive. This will protect pirating "some" but like several have said, it doesn't stop thieves from printing it and passing it around. Pipyr was telling me some horrors about an ROAGK gift of a copy of her tutorial that someone sent to someone else. :/
Anyway. You guys ROCK! Excellent information and so helpful to us and I appreciate every bit of it~~ THANK YOU!!
Old 2009-01-02, 8:13pm

PDF for me!
Old 2009-01-02, 8:29pm

PDF is my choice. A DVD really limits when and where I can learn. With a PDF, I can read it in bed or at the breakfast table a couple of times, then set it next to me as I work at my pace, and I don't have to worry about pausing, rewinding, playing, etc. Or scratching a DVD at my studio table.

I don't even like movies on DVD.

Old 2009-01-02, 8:30pm

Just wanted to point out that there are already videos on dvd and they are wonderful, but a lot of work. I assisted with the development of one that was only 40 minutes long and it took weeks to edit to make it useable. Also something to think about is the filter for your camera lens - an additional cost. We are all kind of spoiled with the professional dvd's and I wonder if it wasn't up to the quality we normally see if there might be some disappointment. I too like the written tutorials as you can pick them up any time for a brief refresher. I find I play a video once or twice, but am constantly reviewing a written tutorial.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog