No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-04-09, 5:38pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Default can't find leak in propane line

I have just recently set up my midrange/minor back up on bottled oxy and on a 4kg BBQ tank.

I have only torched a couple of times because i feel like I am getting a bit of propane in my face (the tank is right on empty so I can smell that awful chemical they put in to make you smell gas leaks in Australia). I am using an open aired porch at the moment so I have no need for an exhaust (I have torched like this for 5 years and never had this problem)

Now when I turn of the gas tanks if I walk away for five minutes and come back there is still pressure in the line for the oxygen but the propane line is letting the pressure leak out somewhere. I have tested with soap and water on all the joins in the lines and I can't work out where it is coming from.

Does anyone have any tips for me to work out what is going on?
Old 2010-04-09, 5:51pm

Your propane valve is probably leaking on the torch. It's not a big problem as long as you dont leave your propane tank open when you arent using the torch.

By the way, I also use an open air porch , but I do use ventilation because I have gotten ill a few times from fumes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-09, 7:01pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Check the stem on the valves on torch and tank.... It could be that packing on stem is allowing gas to escape there because nut that holds packing seal in place may be loose or seal worn...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-04-10, 9:10am
Borovangelist

...and you don't want flames shooting out of the valves while you're working

|
|
Old 2010-04-10, 2:02pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

It is quite common for the packing in the valves to age and grab the valve stem and/or valve packing nut when you open the valve. Then as the whole torch and area warms up the packing becomes more pliable so that when you close the valve it does not grab the nut and return it to its original position... it is slightly looser each time. Eventually it starts to leak. I almost never see mention of doing the leak test on the torch valves and torch face. Check out the valve nuts every once in a while. They should be snug but not so tight that the valve is difficult to open.