LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-04, 1:13pm

Default who knows how to put a fingerprint in glass???

hello everybody,

I have a friend in begium and his logo is a fingerprint.
He want's glassbeads with his logo
I have no idea how to............... but maybe one of you have

thanks
astrid
the netherlands
Old 2010-10-04, 1:16pm
Live and Let Live

The only way I can think of would be to have a brass press / stamp custom made of the fingerprint and then use the stamp to press the logo into the warm glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-04, 1:16pm
Did someone say SALE?

You could make a twistie then carefully scroll it into the pattern you want and melt flat. Raku and intense black is nice, or Multicolor dark and intense black might work out. Good luck!!
Old 2010-10-04, 1:26pm
honorary bead lady

I don't know have you seen some of the photos??? Lots of thumb prints

OH you mean in the glass!

How big/much detail? Paper stencil and frit/powder
Old 2010-10-04, 1:27pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
The only way I can think of would be to have a brass press / stamp custom made of the fingerprint and then use the stamp to press the logo into the warm glass.
This sounds like a great way to do it, albeit complex and expensive.

Have you thought about "fusing" the image to the glass? It could probably be done relatively inexpensively if you use Kristen's (Smurfy5) Tutorial maybe? http://www.etsy.com/listing/53354661...rking-tutorial

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-10-04, 1:32pm
Borovangelist

While cold, I would get something very very slightly sticky on their finger, touch the glass then dust it with enamel or crushed glass powder to reveal the print, dust/clean around it, bring it up to temp, then melt it in with a gentle flame so you don't push the powder off with the force of the gases in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2010-10-04, 2:37pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Maybe one of the dichro companies will make you up a dichro image of a fingerprint?
Old 2010-10-04, 2:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The enamel idea is great and will probably give you the most distinct print.

You can also try making a print in clay, dry and bisque fire it and then make a positive out of the first bisque fired piece. Bisque fire it and maybe even final fire it and then use it. Lots of trouble though.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-04, 4:25pm
Happy Beadmaker!

How 'bout this:

Using Stazon red ink (works better than black for some strange reason), take the actual fingerprint and press onto heavy copper foil -- I use the foil backing of the new dichro (like two products for the price of one, haha). Alternatively you can use copper roof flashing from Home Depot, nice & heavy for our purposes but definitely lighter than any of the sheet copper.

Let the fingerprint dry; etch it with the Radio Shack etchant. Then make your base bead, apply the piece of foil with the etched fingerprint and encase. The heavy foil takes on a beautiful rosy cast and your etched fingerprint is now part of your bead!!! Give me a shout if you have any questions about the process.

HTH!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2010-10-04, 4:26pm
Glassmangler

Elmer's glue burns off clean, maybe try it with the enamel?
Old 2010-10-04, 4:37pm
Hello?

If it were me I would use the vitrous (sp?) method.

You will get the most detail going this way since it is a three step process. Make bead and anneal. Paint fingerprint on bead. Ramp back up in kiln and polish the design with your torch and anneal again. Done.

The best part is, if you make a mistake with the design during the cold process you can erase the paint and do it again.

Old 2010-10-04, 7:06pm
Rose colored glasses…√

CSI fumes with super glue...

Encasing it after fuming would probably be tricky. Or impossible.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-10-04, 7:41pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

What about etching the fingerprint, using a stencil and etching cream.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:05pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

What about making the bead to put the fingerprint on and then go to Michaels and buy the glass enamel paint. Have him put his finger in the enamel paint, dab some of it off onto a newspaper and then have him put his print on the bead you made. This enamel will cure in a conventional oven. You have to wait, I think it's 24 hours, before you put it in the oven after he puts his print on it before curing.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-10-04, 11:50pm
Entropy increasing....

What about just heating it up really good and pressing a thumb into it?

Photoetching? On brass? I know you can do it on copper and silver.

Can he change his logo? lol
Old 2010-10-05, 1:51pm

thank you all for thinking with me

I think I'm first going to try with the elmer glue and enamel it's the most easy way maybe, if it works
the brass fingerprint is a great idea but... where can you order something like that and what will it cost?????
to push my finger in "cool' glass!!! it has to be really hot when you will have a print i think. the other idea's i have to read more carefully to understand exactly what you all mean

again thanks it's so very nice that so many of you react
kisses from holland

Astrid
Old 2010-10-06, 4:35pm

I was also going the etching or sandblasting route in my head... you can make a photocopy of his print on resist paper, apply the resist to the bead and blast away.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-10-06, 5:19pm

How many beads does your friend want to make with his fingerprint? If it is a lot, then spending the money up front to have a custom tool made may save him a lot of time in the long run.

Does he want the fingerprint to be in relief (raised? lowered?), or a color pattern?

A graphite tool can be machined to do this. It can be either a male or female relief. If machined as a female relief, you could spread colored glass powder or enamels into the grooves, and roll that color pattern onto the bead.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-10-06, 8:14pm
plays with fire

My SIL has a bead with my fingerprint on it But I wouldn't want to repeat the process.
Malcolm's idea sounds pretty cool though
Old 2010-10-07, 3:48am

[quote=Kevan;3230235]What about just heating it up really good and pressing a thumb into it?

Old 2010-10-07, 6:06am
Glassmangler

[quote=skippystretch;3233521]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
What about just heating it up really good and pressing a thumb into it?
I've done this. Sadly, the skin burns off the maria when you back it...
Old 2010-10-08, 4:06pm
honorary bead lady

Perfect example in the BR tonight.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry OT couldn't resist
Old 2010-10-08, 10:57pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Perfect example in the BR tonight.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Seriously,I've thought on occasion that when you flatten a bead on a marver, the chill marks often look like a fingerprint.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-10-09, 10:19am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I love Malcolm's tip with the enamel powder in the female bits ...

Old 2010-10-09, 11:16am
Entropy increasing....

Ok here's an idea. They have that rubber stamp ink that they use to stamp onto dichro and then etch. The ink part remains like a resist. It's a permanent ink. There was an article about how to do it in a magazine.
Old 2010-10-09, 11:25am
boro color bender

http://www.aaeglass.com/glass-decals--low-fire.html

look around for fire on decals... this isn't the company i was thinking of... if they don't have a finger print in stock, i know there are some companies that will make it for you custom...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-10-09, 11:26am
boro color bender

Basically, you make the bead and then give it a temporary tattoo... then you fire it on in the kiln... they're easy and the same every time...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-10-09, 9:18pm
I'm meeeeelting

You can also create a resist for etching with a drying ink pad, embossing powder and a heat gun (all stuff you'd find in a rubber stamp store or dept. of a craft supply store).

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-10-10, 6:54am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Just do what everyone else does to get a fingerprint on glass - first touch the glass, and then never clean it!

Old 2010-10-10, 12:44pm
He can do the origami

This is how it is done

Otter