Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: what bead shapes are selling the most for you?
rounds 57 28.08%
donut rounds 27 13.30%
discs 6 2.96%
pillows 9 4.43%
squeezed/crunched 14 6.90%
Kaleras 5 2.46%
lentils 70 34.48%
cubes 0 0%
barrels 8 3.94%
irregular "stone" shapes 11 5.42%
other 28 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-07-06, 4:26pm
one day at a time

Default If you make bead sets, what shapes sell the best for you?

I just make donut rounds, always have and always will, but I'm itching to get my hands on a press again. I occasionally make flattened small tab/ovals, but that's about it. I don't look around much to see what else seems to be popular out there, so maybe you can enlighten me.

I know that the silver glasses are very popular right now though, and the beads you folks are putting out are drop-dead gorgeous!! I may splurge and get a few rods with my next big glass order to see if I can do anything magical.

So, what shapes are selling the best for you??
Old 2009-07-06, 4:29pm
Storm Queen

Lisi, I had read someone's poll about bead shapes and the results were that jewelry makers wanted round beads. So I made round beads and they didn't sell. I gave up on making what I thought would sell and now I just make what I want. I think for me, pressed shapes like lentils and nuggets sell best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-06, 4:32pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Lisi, I had read someone's poll about bead shapes and the results were that jewelry makers wanted round beads. So I made round beads and they didn't sell. I gave up on making what I thought would sell and now I just make what I want. I think for me, pressed shapes like lentils and nuggets sell best.
Ack! I'd want to round all of them up and flog 'em with my long strands of round beads that didn't sell! LOL!!!
Old 2009-07-06, 8:18pm
Life is change. Love it

Straight sided lentils seem to make the most money for me

Old 2009-07-07, 1:11am
one day at a time

I've been leaning toward buying a Spree again. I wish I never parted with it in the first place.
Old 2009-07-07, 8:00am
I fart diamonds

I didn't vote in the poll because I don't sell for myself, but when I make sets & jewelry for work, the Nuggets sell lickety split. Occasionally, a jewelry designer would come through and want to see what beads I had that weren't already made into jewelry and if I had Nuggets, those always went 1st, then Sprees (straight sided lentils), then Rounds. It was like Christmas if they could put together a matching set with Nuggets and rounds, lol.

Old 2009-07-07, 10:05am
Lampworkaholic!

SSLs, nuggets and donuts sell well, as do spiral pressed and crystal pressed beads. What I think sells well regardless of shape is sets. People love sets, even if that means a few accent beads to go with a focal. Mixed sets that have some round, some barrel, and some pressed beads attract attention. Colors are as important as shapes, you have your organic neutral lovers and your pink and pastel lovers and then the bling lovers of silver glass! It's always hard to predict what customers will like. I made oodles of hearts for my last show and sold relatively few but some beads I would have called fugly found homes. So beauty is in the eye of the buyer.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-07-07, 10:46am

Nuggets and lentils for bracelets, because they lie flat.. and all shapes for necklaces ....

Old 2009-07-08, 6:13pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

Buttons, and second to buttons, rock/organic/nuggets, then third would be rounds of all sizes.

|
|
|
|

Old 2009-07-09, 6:59am
Formerly FishBulb

Interesting poll! I'm still a long way from selling anything -- I have to be able to manage to make beads that are all the same size, for one thing -- but it's good to know for future reference. My favourite shapes are cubes and triangles. I got a press from Mike's Brass For Glass that makes triangle beads and I think they look just cool.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-07-16, 8:40am

I really haven't started to sell, I'm with Fishbulb. I love to make lentils. I have Zooziis's lentil trio press. I also love silver glass, just wish it werent so darn expensive

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-12-13, 7:28am
Glassy Broad :-)

I voted for Lentils! SSL's or Sprees work well too, I think because it gives us a larger pallet to work on.
That being said....what I have been selling the most lately are sculptural beads. THINGS as it were. Not all animals, but...things. Okay, lets just say off mandrel..that about covers it
BUt the main thing is, I have JUST started to make set. Still a newbie in that regard.

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-12-13, 10:53am
one day at a time

Still doing rounds here...and maybe I could sell even more beads if I made other shapes as well. My problem is that I buy presses and then sell them when I'm desperate for cash. If that would stop, I'd be making those beads. haha
Old 2010-12-14, 12:45am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

maybe next time you buy a press you need to do something to it to make it so it wouldn't sell well. Like take a marker and write your name all over the handle. Or a giant big swearword. That way you couldn't get much money for it.
I know what you mean though I have sold several of my presses when desperate for cash....
Old 2010-12-14, 6:07am
...displaced ocean lover

Default What should I put on my Christmas List

Hey....this poll started in 2009...I'm wondering if the "selling shapes" have changed at all??

I'm asking Santa for a new press but not sure which one you professionals would choose as your favorite.

And while I'm asking, can you post a photo of the shape you're talking about since I bought a "pillow" press that doesn't look like the pillows I've seen. Don't want to make another mistake!

Thanks to you all!!!
Roo

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2010-12-14, 11:58am
Redbearmountain

Rounds and barrels, bicones, sell the best for me in sets! I love lentils but they don't do as well for me. Last summer it was bicone shapes! I make a variety because you just never know what will sell and when. I have people from all over the world come in my store with all very different taste of styles. Niya

Old 2010-12-15, 6:06pm
...displaced ocean lover

That makes sense...when I lived in Europe, the clothes were waaaaay ahead of what we had been wearing in the states. So it figures that anything goes, I guess. I need to stop worrying so much and just make beads! LOL

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2010-12-16, 2:18pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
maybe next time you buy a press you need to do something to it to make it so it wouldn't sell well. Like take a marker and write your name all over the handle. Or a giant big swearword. That way you couldn't get much money for it.
I know what you mean though I have sold several of my presses when desperate for cash....
HAHA I never thought of that!! Great idea!
Old 2011-01-01, 12:20pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

I answered lentils but in all honesty I make more of them so naturally they would be the ones that I sell more of.

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-01-12, 8:57am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
HAHA I never thought of that!! Great idea!
LOL, right! That IS a good idea.
And Lisi...your avitar is soooo full of beads. I can't seem to make that many that match. Altho I AM up to 4 or 5 that really DO match. (super, I've got about 60 to go to get up to your avitar amount! LOL)

I just get bored of making the same thing over and over!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2011-01-12, 3:33pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
LOL, right! That IS a good idea.
And Lisi...your avitar is soooo full of beads. I can't seem to make that many that match. Altho I AM up to 4 or 5 that really DO match. (super, I've got about 60 to go to get up to your avitar amount! LOL)

I just get bored of making the same thing over and over!
Oh trust me, sometimes making them makes me go batty! Of course a lot of people already know that about me.

So you're up to 4-5 that match, that's great!! All it took was some practice and focus, right? That's what I tell everyone, you must really focus and try and do the same exact thing each time to get beads that look 99.5% the same. (that percentage is just a joke, hehe) Some people don't expect or even like their beads to be "perfect", but then there are some people that are perfectionists by nature. I am with beads but not everything else, thank God...or I would be one miserable person! lol
Old 2011-01-13, 6:52am
...displaced ocean lover

Lisi, you're funny!

And yes, I had to force myself to do the same thing over and over. And I do mean force. However, I really liked making witch hats and pumpkins over and over. (of course, snowguys, too)

I can only make "sets" if I use my lentil press and make those "Barley Lentil" type beads. They match b/c they are the same shape and basically the same color...but not quite the same pattern. It's different enough that I don't get bored but the same enough that they count as a set, right???

I've kind of gotten the hang of one of my beadrollers, finally. And bought some of that frit that makes the beads look like sugar. So now I can do sugar-bead sets. But do those SELL???

I still think my boredom with sets stems from my need to do sculptural...or my inability to make sets has led to my need for sculptural??

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-10-12, 8:26am

My best sellers in my brick & mortar shop are lentils. But on Etsy it's small barrel beads or donuts. Go figure !

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-01-24, 6:32am

After reading this thread, I found my Zoozii's straight side lentil press and made a bunch of beads. They looked oddly familiar ... pretty much like the button press that I use all the time.

I've listed my SSL press in the garage sale for $40, shipping included.

If anyone's interested ...

Nolly
Old 2013-05-26, 12:17pm

Sorry, but...What are nuggets?
Old 2013-05-26, 4:50pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsyEmporium View Post
Sorry, but...What are nuggets?
I'm going to find out in just a sec! Now I'm curious. Funny, bcause I wrote this poll thread a long time ago, and I went back and read it just a few times.

I think it's a Zooziis press. brb!
Old 2013-05-26, 4:52pm
one day at a time

Here it is, and to see the beads made with it, click on "view more images".

http://www.zooziis.com/nuggettrio.aspx
Old 2013-05-26, 7:11pm

Oh I love that shape but they remind me of pillows I just ordered a marquis press. My most popular beefs are lentils and tabs but I shape those myself
Old 2013-05-29, 11:53am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsyEmporium View Post
Oh I love that shape but they remind me of pillows I just ordered a marquis press. My most popular beefs are lentils and tabs but I shape those myself
Very creative of you! That is how they were made long before the tools were around. You should be proud of yourself for learning how to make them that way.