Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-15, 7:15pm
sorcerer

didn't this mob used to be plowden and thompson? the glass has always been terrible, not even compatible in their own colour range, I'd ditch it and buy some real glass. B

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-15, 7:27pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post

Somehow I keep thinking we could "gobsmack" David but I guess that's just losing something in translation.
There was a whole line at the Gathering, Ask Gayle, Deb, Schermo, Sharon
Old 2012-11-15, 9:17pm

I actually don't have a problem with 80% of the divardi I have.
The other 20% makes decent frit or I cut it for working in a hand built kiln.

The larger diamiter stuff is more tricky to work with.

I suspect part of my ability is that I work over a hot head most of the time
culling out the large stuff with air bubbles for kiln work or frit.
Old 2012-11-15, 9:46pm
Sucks at being nice

Since my torching style tends to turn the most docile glass into frit I have steered clear of Devardi glass. I have seen people get gorgeous color out of it so if you have the patience for it keep it. If all it does is frustrate you then it's time to move on to something a little more user friendly.

Old 2012-11-16, 12:30am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Deb...I know it's "trash" but it just sounds so cute if you call it rubbish!

Somehow I keep thinking we could "gobsmack" David but I guess that's just losing something in translation.
Hey! You dissing the Aussies??!

Actually normally I would say "bin"

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-11-16, 4:16am
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post

The rubbish goes in the bin and the garbo picks it up.

Old 2012-11-16, 4:55am
Mad about Glass

Trust Bernie tell it like it is. He is so knowledgeable about glass.

[url]

Old 2012-11-16, 5:47pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
As I've said before if you lose over half of it on your work bench how could it be cheaper? Also, time is money for me, I'm not going to spend time f***ing around to get skinny rods, and I've never preheated a rod in my life.
Carolyn...you are AWESOME!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-11-16, 5:57pm

I have some and I like it, especially the semi-opaque colors. I work quite slowly on a Cricket torch so the exploding rods are not such a big problem for me. I do plan on ordering some of the smaller rods in the near future perhaps that will reduce the exploding even more.

I do agree about not recommending it for absolute beginners.
Old 2012-11-17, 2:15pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:

Absolutely not! I always wanted to visit some day. My dad used to tell us stories from when he was there.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-11-18, 8:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
didn't this mob used to be plowden and thompson? the glass has always been terrible, not even compatible in their own colour range, I'd ditch it and buy some real glass. B
No, definitely not! Plowden & Thompson is made in the UK. P&T's not shocky - I've tested some of it and some of the colours are rather nice. A couple are finicky. It's 100 and 93 coe though, so not necessarily compatible with other manufacturers.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-11-18, 3:04pm
Back to 👊 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
OMG! I almost fell off the sofa when I read this thread. I'm off to fix a bucket of popcorn myself! LOL!
Freakin ditto!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2012-11-18, 3:32pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrdlebp View Post
Freakin ditto!
WOW and I get slapped for getting a bucket!
Old 2012-11-18, 3:44pm
Unmedicated since '62

All the rabid defenders seem to have gone to ground, maybe they're busy tending burns from all the shocky glass

Old 2012-11-18, 3:47pm
GLASS ADDICT

Cool

Quote:
All the rabid defenders seem to have gone to ground, maybe they're busy tending burns from all the shocky glass
Old 2012-11-18, 4:13pm

Quote:
Wow, just wow. You really seem to have a lot of contempt for people who like a different glass brand than you do.

This "rabid defender" really doesn't care whether you like the glass or not but that you may think less of someone because they happen to like Devardi glass is just nuts.
Old 2012-11-18, 4:47pm
Borovangelist

Out of curiosity, are any of their colors particularly poppy? I'm intrigued to give it a try.

|
|
Old 2012-11-18, 4:47pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I was gifted some gorgeous colours to try out. I tried. I managed a couple of spacers and a pair of lentils that didn't kill themselves, but all the rest just wants to explore my shed. At a million miles an hour. I don't want to put it in the flame any more.
So sad - I feel bad for the darling who gifted and spent all that postage - and am kicking myself for putting my hand up.

However.
I'm looking to get myself a nipper (or maybe just a hammer) and see what happens to chunks of it in a boro annealing cycle. It might have potential

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-11-18, 5:07pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
There was a whole line at the Gathering, Ask Gayle, Deb, Schermo, Sharon
You forgot me...

Old 2012-11-18, 5:15pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
You forgot me...
Sorry Donna it was a LONG line!
Old 2012-11-18, 5:22pm
Unmedicated since '62

ta dah!!

Old 2012-11-18, 6:04pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Yep, a VERY long line - most fun I've ever had, GobSmacking David..

I've never commented in a Divardi thread before, but whatthehell.

I was gifted a nice big bundle last year, a lovely selection of colors. Per advice from the last drama thread, I first annealed the rods then prewarmed them before use.

I also, in the spirit of scientific inquiry, set bowls all over my studio before I cranked up the torch.

I danced the warmed rods gently into the flame, then sat back and enjoyed the spectacle of Fabulous Flying Frit ricocheting off the walls, bookcases, kiln, worktable, lamps, TV and me.

The bowls to the right and up to 8 feet in front of me received the most fragments, with a smaller percentage to the left and in my lap. Apparently I watch too much CSI.

I also managed to take out a large moth near the 3rd shelf of the bookcase opposite. It never knew what hit it. It smelled a bit like chicken.

I did manage to make 8 or 9 very nice two-wrap filler beads (lovely cranberry!), but it took 4 rods to do it. I then swept up all the floors, shelves, counter surfaces and me, and donated the rest of the glass to the county dump.

My take on this glass, its beauty and wonderful customer service notwithstanding: There is no friggin' reason in the world why I need to make my fun torch time any more annoying, messy, complicated and frustrating than it already is. So no more D-Glass. Too bad, I quite like some of the colors...

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-11-18, 6:09pm
Storm Queen

@ Sharon!

Old 2012-11-18, 6:10pm
Uh Oh....

You really stuck bowls out? To funny!!

Old 2012-11-18, 6:18pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post

I was gifted a nice big bundle last year, a lovely selection of colors. Per advice from the last drama thread, I first annealed the rods then prewarmed them before use.

I also, in the spirit of scientific inquiry, set bowls all over my studio before I cranked up the torch.

I danced the warmed rods gently into the flame, then sat back and enjoyed the spectacle of Fabulous Flying Frit ricocheting off the walls, bookcases, kiln, worktable, lamps, TV and me.

The bowls to the right and up to 8 feet in front of me received the most fragments, with a smaller percentage to the left and in my lap. Apparently I watch too much CSI.

I also managed to take out a large moth near the 3rd shelf of the bookcase opposite. It never knew what hit it. It smelled a bit like chicken.

I did manage to make 8 or 9 very nice two-wrap filler beads (lovely cranberry!), but it took 4 rods to do it. I then swept up all the floors, shelves, counter surfaces and me, and donated the rest of the glass to the county dump.

My take on this glass, its beauty and wonderful customer service notwithstanding: There is no friggin' reason in the world why I need to make my fun torch time any more annoying, messy, complicated and frustrating than it already is. So no more D-Glass. Too bad, I quite like some of the colors...
Sharon! I love the BOWLS... very scientific!

Old 2012-11-18, 6:20pm
Unmedicated since '62

sorry bout the moth

Old 2012-11-18, 6:55pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I gifted nearly 30 lbs. to a fellow lampworker.
I am quite patient with glass, and always preheat it. But besides the shocking, I hated the thick (and irregular) diameters, and how some of the colors boiled/scummed like crazy. Also didn't like that it was too fickle to pair with other manufacturer's colors.

So it was Kaythanxbai.
Don't need to make my life more difficult.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-11-18, 8:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post

I honestly don't understand why I *don't* have these problems with Devardi. Yes, I do get the occasional rod explosion but usually it's because of the reason I have *any* glass rod explode - heating too fast. I do pre-warm rods in a crock pot full of annealing bubbles but that's it.

I am in the process of exploring a semi-opaque blue that does really funky things with faux boro and silvered ivory stringers (PS: it is not shocky at all!)
Old 2012-11-18, 8:07pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Pass the popcorn David...

Old 2012-11-18, 8:12pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Pass the popcorn David...
me too, extra butter please