LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-09, 8:26pm

I too am having issues with my second pound, after loving my first pound. I have had compatibility cracks encasing either CIM Mojito and also CIM Gelly Sty. I talked to a company rep at the Glass Craft Expo in Vegas and he was unhelpful. He said that the glass is matched to the same COE standard it has been matched to for years, the same as the sheet glass used by CBS to make dichro rounds. He pointed out that there could be rare problems just because 104 COE may not be precisely that for every single brand and color, but he would not accept my concern that there is a difference in Uroboros 104 rod batches. I will use it cautiously until its gone, but not again. Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2013-04-09, 8:31pm
I like to melt things

I had some noodles from the first batch and I love them. I am sad to learn that the next batch is so badly different.

I'll just cuddle my Reichenbach Crystal in the corner I guess. For me, it's the most reliable and "clear" clear for the money, even if it's a little trickier to encase with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Old 2013-04-09, 8:54pm
Senior Moment

That's very disappointing to hear Jeri. Clearly (no pun intended) there is an issue with the second batch and I'm sad to see their rep will not acknowledge it.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-09, 8:56pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Bummer Not a good exchange at all.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-04-10, 2:38am

actually i think they are acknowledging it....i rec'd a pm from somebody at uroboros....
Old 2013-04-10, 3:47am
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
actually i think they are acknowledging it....i rec'd a pm from somebody at uroboros....
Me too.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-04-10, 4:06am

I got some rods to try in December and found them a little bit scummie, more bells than I had expected. So I asked a sample before ordering 4,2 kilo and the rods were all very bad. lots off scratches on the surface and even little sharp pimples. If decided not to buy it and as I've read this thread I am glad I didn't.
but it is a shame it looked so promising.
Greetings Anja

Old 2013-04-10, 4:43am
Senior Moment

I'm glad to hear some folks are getting a response from Uroboros. Maybe they should have spoken to their rep before sending him out tho. Then again, I suspect he could have been a little more receptive to a customer's concerns!

Keep us updated those of you who are hearing from them!
Alli

Old 2013-04-10, 5:19am
Echo's Mother

Ekkie, it is not unusable. You just have to use it differently from what you originally intended.
Old 2013-04-10, 5:41am
Mad about Glass

I'm glad yours is OK, Di. So far mine is also, but most of the others in the buy have complained. I already have enough scummy clear to use as the base for beads, I certainly don't need any more.

I will stick with Zephyr and Aether.

[url]

Old 2013-04-10, 6:38am
Lampworkaholic!

Uroboros is looking into this now. Hopefully they will resolve/solve the problem and come out with an explanation soon.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-04-10, 8:20am

From the comments, mine looks okay, but I haven't tried it yet.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-04-10, 5:21pm

I got a return email from Uroboros and they said to let them know if I had problems with the clear I recently bought at Glasscraft. She also indicated that she was perplexed about the comments in this thread. As long as they are willing to take back any problem glass, I am happy. I will try my new stuff out when I return home next week.
Old 2013-04-11, 8:58am
state-eternal change

I made a nice bead with mine I got recently through an online supplier and it cracked. Not the online supplier's fault, that's for sure. Frustrating!!! It was so nice and clear too, all I had to do was pick off the cut end.

Will try with enamels, but frustrating that I have to use it in ways than otherwise intended.

Old 2013-04-18, 5:14pm

Hello everyone!

I am a sales rep at Uroboros, I'm the one who has been responding privately to some of you. We at Uroboros are very concerned that users of URO104 have a good experience with it. We've been making 104 Clear (and Black) in sheet and Noodle format for 10 years - with many happy users - and we've had lots of good response to our newer URO104 Clear rods. Uroboros will be addressing each of the concerns on this thread, publicly, in the days to come. We will be sure that the information is made available to all.
Old 2013-04-18, 6:54pm
Senior Moment

Awesome - Thanx!

Btw, think you have a typo: " We've been making 104 Clear (and Black) in sheet and Noodle format for 10 years..."

Alli

Old 2013-04-19, 8:35am

I'm on my 5th lb of Uroboros clear and I love it!!!! No cracking, butterery, no scum. I've tested it with lots of Moretti, CIM, vitrofond colors, no problems at all.
Old 2013-04-19, 10:10am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Awesome - Thanx!

Btw, think you have a typo: " We've been making 104 Clear (and Black) in sheet and Noodle format for 10 years..."

Alli
I'm curious, what is the typo?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-04-19, 10:12am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
I'm on my 5th lb of Uroboros clear and I love it!!!! No cracking, butterery, no scum. I've tested it with lots of Moretti, CIM, vitrofond colors, no problems at all.
The first 6-7 lbs. I had were wonderful. I bought 2 lbs. more from a different vendor and those are the ones with which I have cracking issues.

So it's not across the board.

Liz

Old 2013-04-19, 2:06pm

No typo - Uroboros makes a sheet version of our 104 Clear and Black and also a Noodle version of both. Sheets come in 3mm or 1.8mm thicknesses. Noodles are like fettucine, but of URO104 glass. Both are delicious when dichro coated and are delectable uncoated as well! the sheets have been in production for 10 years. Noodles are a little younger and the rods are our newest URO104 offering.
Old 2013-04-19, 2:24pm
Senior Moment

Duh, read right past the words "sheet versions" . I swear these are new reading glasses!

The contacts are a bit old tho LOL

Sorry!
Alli

Old 2013-04-21, 5:27pm

I have been reading this thread with interest. I bought 2 lbs of clear and there are long air bubbles the length of the rods and most of the beads have cracked. The quest for the perfect clear continues

Debi
Old 2013-04-22, 1:07pm

well i just got a replacement bundle from uroboros! a one lb bundle, plus another .35lb (ish).

looking at the glass....it has a decent amount of bubbles in it. not long bubbles (they don't run the length of the rod) but not quite seed bubbles either.

i will however, not make any assumptions about it until i've had the chance to use some of it....in beads and marbles. it may very well be good stuff!

i bought a lb of Kugler clear last year from abr...it looked the same as this glass (some bubbles) but melted great and no scumming! i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be similar.

props to uroboros for addressing this issue, and more props for their packaging. they actually used dissolving packing peanuts (yay!! i hate styrofoam) and wrapped the glass up in thick paper.
Old 2013-04-22, 2:50pm

I had a pound delivered the other day, hadn't read this thread

Anyway, I was making murrini yesterday so figure if the Uroboros is a bad batch I'll use it as end caps.

I hate using my 'good' (lol - is there such a thing?) clear as murrini caps!
Old 2013-04-22, 4:31pm

Default Glass Scratches

So my first order of 5lb bundles of Uroboros 104 clear I ordered through Howaco was a bit of a disappointment, as I've posted previously. However, I ran into Uroboros at the Glass Craft Expo in Vegas and was pleased with the bundles they had there and talked with them a bit.

They told me at some point in their production they began using gloves in handling the glass rods. Personally I suspect it is more in their pulling/cutting/rolling machines or the way they bundle/store/package the piles of rods. Regardless, some combination of handling, or the removal or the 3rd party seller, seems to have made marked improvements.

For instance (sorry pictures are very very hard to get of this)
First Batch - only one quality ever mentioned at the time so I assume "first" - every rod feels rough to the touch and has constant nicks/scratches. Very minor depths, but they are there. Most melts away, but enough doesn't that it's a problem for quality encasement.

Las Vegas Batch - of "first" quality rods looks much better!

Lauscha Reformulated Clear ($30-$60/lb) - And here it is compared with my personal favorite and gold standard (about twice as expensive!)

As for compatibility, so far its worked great except for one bead with Lauscha transparent which are notorious for compatibility issues anyway. No complaints so far. I do garage/anneal for a really long time and haven't checked anything with a polariscope but seems to be doing fine with my effetre/CIM/DH combos.

Personally I love the slightly stiffer workability of Uroboros and Lauscha clear. The price point of Uroboros and the great clarity and lack of tint (when scratches are absent) would absolutely make it my go to clear. Personally I hope they start making some 12-16mm rods so I can use it for marbles and such.

LE members enjoy a 10% discount with coupon code "LEmember"

Last edited by smpalmer85; 2013-04-27 at 11:27pm.
Old 2013-04-22, 5:28pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I made a large batch of encased frit beads (white core/frit/Uroboros) and they all cracked. The next day I did the same beads with Effetre super clear encasing and they are all fine. Makes me sad because the batch of Uroboros clear I got was very nice and scratch free.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2013-04-23, 4:16am

what i got in replacement looks like that first pic posted. i'll keep my hopes up that it melts nice and doesn't crack....but i'm skeptical.
Old 2013-04-25, 11:56am

Hi folks! Kat from Uroboros here! Thank you for all of your posts, good and bad. We have a lot of product information ready to post up here, but we got a bit derailed trying to set up a user id for Uroboros Glass. I am waiting for the mods to help me manually set up the user account. Soon as it is up I will post here to direct you to it and it will be up for all to see! Those of you with issues, I will p.m. you to work out the problems. Or please p.m. me if I am not getting to you quickly enough! Thank you!
Old 2013-04-27, 2:22pm
Crispy Critter

Crud. I had a really pretty bead crack and fall apart. It was CiM Pulsar encased in the U104 Clear. But I've heard that the CiM blues can be finicky, so it may be that.

Old 2013-04-27, 4:02pm
Catnip Pusher

I've hesitated posting on this thread, 'cause I didn't want to jinx myself.

I have about 5 lbs of the U104 that I've been using, and I like it very much. I have had cracking with some of the CIM colors, Rubino, and ASK glass - but all of those are known to have issues. Nothing else has been a problem, and I encase A LOT. I can't speak to the bubble issues, since I can add bubbles to just about anything! But those irregular rods I got 5 months ago work great for me.

Aimee