No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-06, 3:38pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Fusing question: COE?

Hi there all you fusing-knowledgeable people! I've signed up for a fusing class and am really excited about it!

I believe I read somewhere that fusing with COE 104 was either a pain in the butt or problematic in some other way. I have lots of 104 (rod, mili, etc.), but am considering buying some COE 90 for fusing purposes; I'd just prefer not to HAVE to unless there's some HUGE PROBLEM with fusing 104. Either way, I'm gonna have to buy some sheet (either 104 or 90) but thought I'd throw this out there before purchasing.

Can any of you tell me the pros and cons of COE 90 versus COE 104 in fusing?

Thanks so much in advance!

De

(POSTING IN THE "FUSING" SECTION too!)

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-06, 3:48pm

Hi De,

I'm a previous fuser and most people fuse with 90 followed by 96. 104 fusers are very few and far between basically because the range of sheet available is very very limited in 104 and what does exist is somewhat problematic (devit and incompatibility) - , whereas there is a lot of very nice 90 - all tested compatible etc etc. Some people use 96 because it's cheaper. It is becoming more widely available but the color range in Bulls eye with their emphasis on quality is what always sells it to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-06, 4:30pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, thank you so much for the reply; I think Bullseye/90 COE is the way I'll go! I'll have to buy some sheet and want to get some rods to make my own murrini and inclusion stuff, so off I go to unload some goodies (hopefully!) in Garage Sale!

Appreciate it!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-06, 11:48pm
Burning through glass

De, dont' fuse with 104....the fusing standard has not been as finely tuned for this coefficient WHATSOEVER as has been with Bullseye 90 or Spectrum 96....go with either 90 or 96 and only of either singular manufacturer ( and in my experience...Gaffer, Reich...even Uroboros, or any of the other 96 do NOT always produce good compatibility with fusing sheet 96 if you decide to use that coe).

...so if you go with 90, you'll be ok ...lots of rod and sheet to play with and all totally compatible. (more expensive though and a little harder to cut hand rolled sheet glass verses machine rolled 96 but...meh!)

I have been fusing for 5 years...many questions have been answered faithfully in the kiln.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2010-01-06 at 11:55pm.
Old 2010-01-07, 12:06am
Critter Mom

I use Bullseye rods and sheet and I got an email from Bullseye in September with info regarding compatibility issues. I thought I'd just post what Bullseye said so I get it right :

Bullseye Rod Is Now Graded for Kilnforming

Last year when we developed five new opaque rod styles that were not suitable for kilnwork, we began systematically testing all of our rods for fusibility. With testing now complete, we can confirm that all but 17 of our rod styles can be used reliably in kilnwork. (Every one of our rod styles can be used reliably in torchwork.)

Because more kilnworkers than ever are now fusing with rod, we've decided to grade our rod styles for kilnforming suitability. (The new grades are essentially irrelevant for torchworkers.)

The new grading system:

“F” rod is recommended for kilnwork or torchwork. The current “F” list includes all but 17 rod styles.

“T” rod is recommended for torchwork only. The current “T” list includes just 17 rod styles.

Frequently asked questions:

Has Bullseye rod changed?

No, our rod has not changed in any way. We’re simply grading it for fusibility, for the benefit of kilnformers who want to incorporate rod into their work.

Is all Bullseye rod still suitable for torchwork?

Yes. All of our rod styles combine safely and reliably in the flame, just as they always have. The new “F” and “T” grades have essentially no relevance for torchworkers.

Which rods are graded “F”? Which are graded “T”?

The new grades are easy to locate using the search tools in our online store. Very soon, you’ll also find the grades noted in TorchTips. All but 17 Bullseye rod styles are graded "F". The 17 non-fusible "T" styles include:

4 Opals: Dense White (000313-0065); Pink Opal (000301-0065); Salmon

6 Opaques: All but White Opaque (000013-0065), which is fusible.

4 (All) Lustres

3 (All) Streakies

How can I learn about kilnforming with rod?

We suggest you start by reading the new kilnworking notes for each “F” grade style in TorchTips
. You might also consider taking our October 16-19 class, Kilnforming with Rod, to explore possibilities for creating lenses, interior textures, patterns, and optical phenomena.

Pink Opal (000305-0065); Gold Purple (000334-0065)