Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-09-30, 9:08am
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Default Beads sticking to each other in the kiln..

This happens periodically and I freak out....but now I've read where it doesn't hurt them? Is that true? If two beads happen to touch and stick together in the kiln I can just leave them alone and they'll be fine????

If that's true, what a relief!!!!!
Thanks for the info...
~Lynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2006-09-30, 10:01am

Sometimes they are fine...but I have had a few that have had little nicks taken out of them and when I checked the other bead...there was the little piece of glass...what I did was filed it off gently and then etched them and they looked great..what I do now is after I have a row of beads I put a thin fiber blanket on that and start another row...seems to work great
Denise
Old 2006-09-30, 2:20pm
cam@velocity.net

I have found that any beads that have PINK in them should NOT touch any other beads. The pink stays softer than the other colors. While I'm torching my kiln is set at 900 degree and then ramps up after I'm done. Even at 900 degrees, any beads with pink that are touching another bead will ruin the other bead plus itself! Now, even though I know *most* beads will be fine, I try to avoid letting the beads touch each other. I just don't like taking a risk that I can easily avoid.

Candy
Old 2006-09-30, 6:35pm
Mary Lockwood

At 900 degrees none of your colors should be sticking together. I would be double checking the pyrometer in your kiln to make sure you aren't running hotter than your controller is reporting.

Enamels soften at a lower temperature than 104 coe glass. You shouldn't let enamel surfaced beads touch anything in your kiln. However, regular annealing temps should not be hot enough to make your beads stick. You are either letting the beads touch while they are still too hot from the flame, OR your garaging them at too high a temperature.

The science just doesn't add up for your beads to stick at annealing temp.

~~Mary

Old 2006-09-30, 6:48pm
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn's lampwork
This happens periodically and I freak out....but now I've read where it doesn't hurt them? Is that true? If two beads happen to touch and stick together in the kiln I can just leave them alone and they'll be fine????

If that's true, what a relief!!!!!
Thanks for the info...
~Lynn
Sometimes the two beads that are stuck together will be fine and other times there might be nics. Just depends. Is this happening when you are putting them into the kiln? If yes, if you wait for them the two beads to cool to your kiln garaging temperature they should come apart easily. 50/50 chance that they will both be ok.

If this is happening after the beads are in the kiln then your kiln's temperature is tooooo hot. For beads to stick together you kiln's temp is over 1000 degrees...even though your controller may be reading annealing temperature it could be off. Usually this is a relay issue (if you hear a buzzing or chattering instead of just a clicking)....or it could be an issue with the thermocouple.
Depending upon other characteristics of your kiln. Each kiln is different and you may need to adjust your temperature accordingly.