Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-16, 7:40am
yukue fumei

Default New Double Helix Odd Lots?

Hi everyone!
I haven't had a chance to play with these colors yet--what do I have to look forward to?
Does anyone have pics? What are your thoughts?
thank you so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-16, 1:05pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

LOVE the M-232B - it's a lot like the Psyche light from last year, only a lighter shade, and it does the satin irridescence like Triton, only instead of feeling rough kind of like dark plum and Triton get, it stays smooth but look satiny. Don't know if that made any sense at all . . .

The TN-219 is nice too - it struck to a nice purply blue color on my HH which means it should be super easy for those on bigger torches to strike.

The H-229 is kind of like a combination of T28 from last year and Aion. It has the glowy blue-green-purple shades of Aion, but strikes like the T28.

I bought the CL-171 because it said it was a reducing glass and I have no problems with those, but I can't get this one to do much of anything at all. I'm very disappointed in that color. Maybe someone else will get it to do something and share??

No pics yet though
Old 2008-09-16, 1:57pm
yukue fumei

thanks so much MJ!
I gotta go play with the M232, H229 and the TN-219

nagi

Old 2008-09-16, 6:30pm
Happiness is....

I have the CL-171 too. Cannot get it to reduce either, I thought it was just me.....I also tried striking it too. nothing stayed the same purple, brownish color.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2008-09-16, 7:48pm

I tried the SL 188 and could not get anything out of it eithier

Old 2008-09-16, 8:39pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisdaka View Post
I have the CL-171 too. Cannot get it to reduce either, I thought it was just me.....I also tried striking it too. nothing stayed the same purple, brownish color.
Same here! I wonder if they sent out the wrong glass for this!

Old 2008-09-16, 10:02pm
Mmmmm....Raku

I have some odd lot geckos!

This is M-232 B Pinky Purple Luster

This is SL-188 Triton Prototype

And this is CL-171
When I reduced this guy....just like I reduced the others, he turned the most amazing coppery gold. He almost looked like he had been fumed with gold! But when I pulled him out of the kiln, I said "HEY!!! What did you do with my pretty gecko?!?!?" He completely lost all of his luster in the kiln. He's sill a cute little black gecko, but NOTHING compared to what went in the kiln! I think I might actually try fuming one made from this glass and see what happens.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2008-09-16, 10:11pm

I hope nobody minds the double post - I posted this one in the silver exchange thread as well. This is CL171 on Lichen. It went into the kiln with some pretty blues and greens that disappeared during annealing, but I like the copper reds that appeared in the Lichen - some have a red metallic shimmer, and there is a red metallic line between the Lichen and the blue glass in places. I want to try with a thin stringer and see if that is any different. I reduced this bead very heavily to get any reaction at all.

Old 2008-09-16, 10:11pm

Dawn, those gecko's ROCK!

Old 2008-09-16, 10:12pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are adorable, Dawn!

I have all three of those odd lots. My CL-171 looked just like that out of the kiln. I'll have to try the other two. You really brought out some great colors on those!

Old 2008-09-16, 10:39pm
Corgi Cult Member

Dawn, that Pinky Purple Gecko is TDF!! That is the only odd i purchased out of this lot. I love Psyche Lt and this lighter version looks like it will be great too.

Old 2008-09-17, 6:48am
yukue fumei

OMG! Dawn-I wanna be you when I'm at the torch! Those geckos are incredible!

Carol-Nice bead--the blue outlines you got are beautiful. The reaction you got on Lichen is very interesting....

What reaction was the CL-171 supposed to give? Did someone copy the odd lot page?

nagi

Old 2008-09-17, 7:18am
Rose colored glasses…√

Well damn...I didn't see anything I wanted. I sure wish I had gotten the M-232 B Pinky Purple Luster.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-09-17, 7:30am
Gimme that silver glass!

I am soooo happy I got that M-232 as well, now I've seen the pics! Gorgeous stuff y'all!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-09-17, 1:59pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Dawn, that Pinky Purple Gecko is TDF!! That is the only odd i purchased out of this lot. I love Psyche Lt and this lighter version looks like it will be great too.
I'm still hording some of my Psyche Lt - I get the best colors out of that glass . . .
Old 2008-09-17, 2:00pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
OMG! Dawn-I wanna be you when I'm at the torch! Those geckos are incredible!

Carol-Nice bead--the blue outlines you got are beautiful. The reaction you got on Lichen is very interesting....

What reaction was the CL-171 supposed to give? Did someone copy the odd lot page?
Hayley posted this link in the silver color how to thread: http://seraphimflameworks.blogspot.com/

They have the paddle pics saved off from the last several batches of oddlots.
Old 2008-09-17, 2:03pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Hey Dawn you goddess of silver glass geckos - could you share with the class how you got those colors out of the glasses?? I couldn't get much out of the CL 171 before the kiln at all . . . maybe this one is better reduced and then encased while shiny to get a MOP effect?? Has anyone tried that yet??
Old 2008-09-17, 3:34pm
Artistically Absorbed

Default SL-173r

Did anyone get this oddlot SL-173r? I bought some because it looks like it has a peachy coppery reduction in the pictures. My ventilation is down at the moment so I have yet to play with it. If anyone has feedback on this oddlot...I'm all ears! Just Wondering, Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2008-09-17, 3:40pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritobsessed View Post
Hayley posted this link in the silver color how to thread: http://seraphimflameworks.blogspot.com/

They have the paddle pics saved off from the last several batches of oddlots.
thanks MJ-
I will check it out

nagi

Old 2008-09-17, 4:32pm

I'll be interested to see what comes out of the kiln in the morning. Just did 2 beads with the CL171 - 1 over lichen and 1 over blue mosaic. Both had a beautiful iridescent reduction with golds, reds, greens and blues so hopefully it won't fade during annealing. I got really nice colors by turning the gas way down and then turning the oxy down so it was a relatively cool reducing flame. I'll post pix tomorrow.

Old 2008-09-17, 5:19pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
I'll be interested to see what comes out of the kiln in the morning. Just did 2 beads with the CL171 - 1 over lichen and 1 over blue mosaic. Both had a beautiful iridescent reduction with golds, reds, greens and blues so hopefully it won't fade during annealing. I got really nice colors by turning the gas way down and then turning the oxy down so it was a relatively cool reducing flame. I'll post pix tomorrow.
Thanks for the tip! I hadn't tried setting my flame that way yet. I hope the colors stay for you!

Old 2008-09-17, 9:14pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritobsessed View Post
I'm still hording some of my Psyche Lt - I get the best colors out of that glass . . .
My understanding is if enough people request Psyche Lt they will make it again. At least that's what I was told back when I was gathering my stash.

Old 2008-09-17, 10:46pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I have a decent stash of Psyche light, about 15 rods or so. But I must say, I prefer the regular Psyche .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-09-18, 1:44am
Soft glass addict

Love your gecko's Dawn, they are beautiful and such amazing colors.
I got my M-232 B Pinky Purple Luster in yesterday and all i could get was blue and gold but hey, that's a problem i don't know how to solve yet. See : http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=104771

Like the light blue in your bead Crystal and the lichen reacted really cool too
Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it
Old 2008-09-18, 8:26am

I posted one of these in the Silver Exchange thread, but since not everyone is participating in that, I thought I'd post here as well.
Last nights results with CL171
Here's a couple from me.
This is CL171 over Mosaic Blue - I turned the gas way down and then turned the oxy down to get my reducing flame. It had some gorgeous green and gold shimmers when it went into the kiln that has disappeared, but I really like the lines and the shadings it has now.

This is CL171 over Mosaic Blue - I used a thinner stringer this time and again turned the gas way down before turning the oxy down - it also had some pretty reduction going into the kiln that disappeared. Now the scrollwork has an almost matte finish that is red toned in the right light. The red areas on the lichen have a metallic shine in the right light.

Old 2008-09-18, 4:56pm
yukue fumei

Cool reactions Carol!
thank you so much for posting!

I too, am having problems keeping the shine on CL-171. It goes in the kiln pretty but comes out plain. I was, however, able to capture the haze under dots of clear....
I tried the H229 and LOVED it--it was a bit tricky but I like it and wish I had bought more....
The M232 and A230 were cool--both are kinda clear to amber for me, with nice luster. With O2 striking the M232 got some nice pinky haze...nowhere near as gorgeous as Dawn's, but still nice
I do have the SL-173 but haven't tried it yet...
The SL-188 was very nice--shiny!

nagi

Old 2008-09-19, 1:21am

In a moment of madness i bought T-218s and H207s and although i am just a newbie on a HH i managed to get some nice reactions from them both, i nearly fainted with surprise!

The spacer bead on the left is T-218s, some nice colours ranging from purples to red/yellow. The second spacer bead is H207s, lots of turquoise/blue/green and some purple - wish my photo showed the colours better. The focal has stringers of both glass.

Old 2008-09-19, 7:18am
yukue fumei

woohoo!
very cool!!

nagi

Old 2008-09-19, 3:03pm
Soft glass addict

Wow, very cool pics!
My CL-171 is in the kiln now but i already know i want to sell/trade what i have. I bought 1/2lbs and really don't need it. Maybe i'll put it in the garage sale or maybe someone reads this who wants it.
Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it
Old 2008-09-22, 11:27pm
yukue fumei

I still have not gotten to the T-219...
anyone have pics of T-217, 218 or 219?
thank you!

I have gotten so caught up with H229...I love this color!

I'm also going back to some of the old odd lots....so much to play with--fun!!

nagi