Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2009-02-19, 9:58am
pamtees

I'm running low on Raku. Does anyone know where it is being sold?

Page 14, post no. 405 is worth saving!!!!
Old 2009-02-19, 10:22am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Heat View Post

I get mine from Olympic Color Rods. They have cane and frit. (Don't get what they call "Rod" though cause that's the honkin' big stuff that the glass blowers use.) And it's on sale right now.

Here's the cane
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...ID=111&pID=185

And here's the frit
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=22&pID=370

The smallest amount of frit you can get is 1/2 kilo. Just put .5 in the quantity box. That's a lot of frit but it sure saves you money if you go through a lot of it like me. =o)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2009-02-19, 12:21pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Arrow Springs carries it at a really decent price !!

Old 2009-02-19, 4:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Heat View Post

We sell it in all sizes and are also picking up the rods. They should be here any day!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-19, 8:18pm
Evil Glass Enabler

I get mine from Olympic Color Rods too. Cane aka lampworking cane http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...ID=111&pID=185

Frit http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=22&pID=370 I usually get size 2. They also have Iris orange in the 104. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-02-20, 11:28am
Roo ...

I really appreciate the additional information in Post #405, page 14! ... but when I went to try it, I had a question. After Step 1 (turn your flame teeny-tiny and superheat at the candles), do you return your flame to a normal neutral flame, or are Step(s) 2 still done in the teen-tiny oxy flame? Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks,
- Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Step Two for Encased Beads - If you're going to encase the bead, DO IT NOW while the raku is at it's darkest! The heat from the clear glass you encase with will develope the colors for you! Don't wait until you have great colors showing to encase because the clear will only make the raku pale and you will loose those vivid colors. While your heating your clear rod to encase with, just waft your bead in and out of the flame about 4 inches from the torch....just enough to keep it warm enough to not crack, but don't let it glow or the colors will start to develop before you get the clear on! Once you have the clear on you can heat it as much as you need to to melt it in and do your final shaping. As the bead starts to cool you will see the lovely colors, and it will look even better when it comes out of the kiln.

Step Two for Non-Encased Beads - To develop the colors without encasing, you need to put your bead back in the flame just until it starts to glow red just like you do when you flame polish. (Not a white hot glow) Then take it out of the flame and watch the colors develop as the glow starts to go away. This first attempt usually gives me reds and purples. For blues and greens, do the same thing again and bring the bead to a red glow and take it out of the flame and watch it. Once you have the colors you like, give the bead some nice even heat out in the middle of your flame, but don't let it glow again. This is just to make sure it's warm and happy before you pop it into the kiln.

Old 2009-02-20, 12:25pm
Likes to melt stuff...

Glasscraft has it.
Old 2009-02-20, 12:41pm

Also you can buy Raku twisties from Artemis!

http://www.artemislampwork.com/twisties.htm

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2009-02-20 at 4:41pm.
Old 2009-03-01, 7:43pm

This thread is WONDERFUL!!! THANK YOU!!!

I LOVE raku, since one of the teachers pulled it out for a quick demo in class I've been obsessed! Raku on ivory, raku on black, raku on turquoise ... I've been having so much fun trying (just a small bit of success) and can't wait to do it again!
Old 2009-03-01, 9:26pm

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks to all for some really good information. I'm really glad this thread was started, can always use some good info from more experienced people.
Old 2009-03-07, 2:26pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Well I finally got my minor hooked up. I can now do raku!!

Here's an iris orange shard, rolled in clear frit, on black. I call it google eyes:

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2009-03-07, 10:17pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Arrow Springs and Olympic Color!

Old 2009-04-08, 5:45am

hello...just found this thread...
there are some fantastic beads in here, I would love to get some of those lovely purples.

I have the 104 raku, and also magic which I'm told is another 104 version.

Im in the UK and might just have to get some of the 94 raku to play with, the best thing about this is that plowden and thompson who supply reichenbach, also make their own clear (93 coe) and it is the bestest clear in the whole world!

I never got my raku or magic to do anything til I tried sculpting with it...

its still a little sludgey but great for bunnies! cant remember if this was magic or 104 raku.

off to rummage in my box of reichenbach just incase.....

thankyou dawn and everyone else for making me give my 104 raku another go...we will see...I'm determined to get something out of the 104 stuff!

Madeline

Old 2009-04-08, 8:41am

I love your bunny Madeline.
Old 2009-04-08, 9:06am

rats! no 108..... found 4 very skinny sticks and a fat(only in comparison, its about 6 mm!) stick of iris dark brown, r-106 though!

will have to play with that later!

Old 2009-04-08, 9:06am

ooh, thanks carmen, didnt see that...must not have refreshed!

Old 2009-04-09, 7:41pm
Creatrixie

Love your bunny, Madeline! The scarlet that you got was a reaction? wow!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-04-10, 4:14am

no, that'd be the light red I used for the base bead, his paws which you cant see and the tail. wish It was a reaction...
these are magic with turquoise.

these are 104 iris orange with intense black and crystal clear, bit dificult to see the colours but bits of them are quite nice. I got green, blue, purple and a bit of red amongst the tans and browns.

I made a set without meaning to!

these are magic with intense black, and 2 of them have crystal clear, the bicone doesnt.

Old 2009-04-10, 9:11am
Creatrixie

tres cool Madeline... Who makes the "magic" and the "crystal clear"?

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-04-10, 9:14am

thanks,its reichenbach magic in 104coe, and effetre 006 crystal clear.

Old 2009-04-10, 9:52am

made a chicken too

and here is my whole batch of raku 104 and magic.

not great but not too bad either.

Old 2009-04-11, 5:11am

Best Thread Ever!!

Sprial Bead. This one is regular black Moretti, raku frit and Vetro clear.

Old 2009-04-11, 5:14am

nice blues in that!

Old 2009-04-12, 11:43am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

I'm a big fan of raku glass, we had a chance yesterday to try out the new raku Jamey from Howaco had at our MI meet. Haven't seen the beads yet.

Pulled some pictures of ones I've done in the past with both 104 and 96, all on a minor (lynx didn't give good colors), some with an outside tank some on the LP house line. Ton of pics to show subtle differences between the colors you get depending on your torch, fuel, and flame mix. I work HOT and close with a small oxy rich flame, then cool and back in at 2-4" out in the flame.
If over done the colors appears more muted and washed out, usually blue.
For me there is a very small window to get the dark pinks after the raku turns very dark and cools.

Minor, tanked LP, 96 raku

Mnor, house line LP, 96 raku
Done with thin shards.

Mnor, house line LP, 104 raku
The vessel was worked cooler so it wouldn't collapse.

Karen, Sorry for the long post...

~
~
~
~

Last edited by giapet; 2009-04-12 at 11:49am.
Old 2009-04-12, 6:01pm

Karen, you don't ever have to be sorry when you post beads that look like that!!!!!!!!

This post inspired me to get the raku out again, and i did last night. Four hours of "what the truck???" and i still don't get anything but a navy blue with a yellow center. I don't think it helps that i have just changed by torches (from a HH to a Cricket with oxycon and tanked propane), and don't have a clue about this new flame at all.... I think that i will put the raku aside again and re-read this post in another month or so.

Oh, i must clarify, that it is not from a lack of information... this post is fantastic! And Dawn, if i knew how to rate threads, it would get five stars from me. I have only been torching since January, and i have gotten TONS of tips, information and help from lots of the threads and members here. This thread is definitely one of the best that i have read! Thank you so much Dawn and everyone else for their contributions!

- 20% off for LE members!

[size="3"]Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. - Dale Carnegie

Last edited by Purrpleturtle; 2009-06-03 at 8:05pm.
Old 2009-05-17, 7:38pm

Finally, finally, after almost two years of trying, I figured out how to get at least SOME color out of raku. Wheew, thank God! I thought I was the world's biggest failure:

Now that I know it is possible for me, I'll be trying to refine what I'm doing. But you can't imagine how relieved I am to have even somewhat succeeded!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-18, 6:19pm

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaa U!! Congrats nancy!! Way to go I especially like the 1st picture.
Old 2009-05-18, 6:41pm

Thanks, Ali! I am sooooooo pleased that I was able to get that color. I hope I can remember how I did it. Tomorrow I'll be at the studio again, and that's the first thing I'm going to practice!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-19, 11:13am

yay nancy!

Old 2009-06-01, 10:38pm

Your the best