LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2011-01-23, 8:59am

Kim,

First let me say how much I appreciate you offering the color archive in a couple of high res formats - printed bounded book style and/or download. I think it would be nice to offer both options.

1. A high res printed book would be nice especially for the coffee table(yes, it's that good!), but maybe spiral bound so you can open to a specific page and put it beside you at the torch. This has to make sense for you Kim and I'm not sure if you have to purchase a minimum amount and how many that is. Maybe you could do an actual poll to get a better idea before going down this road. I would definitely purchase one.

2. The electronic version is great too, so you can pick which pages you want to print out/view on your pc or upload to ipad so you can have beside you at your torch. If the 300mb could be broken into maybe 4 downloads that may be better. Maybe the four sections you created in the archive. Just a thought.

Again, thank you for offering it and I am so enjoying your color archive. I cannot tell you how much inspiration it has given me. I use most of the same glass and if I don't have a specific glass, I find it a fun challenge to pick another one from my stock. I don't get caught up in trying to make my beads EXACTLY the same anyway and to just have fun and enjoy the whole creative process. The color combinations and the shapes are just wonderful and there are so many!

Your color archive is a must have for all lampworker's libraries. This is one of my first go to's when I'm like 'what do I want to make next...'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-23, 11:51am

Wowie. Ka. Zowie. I just found out I had a credit on PayPal so I used it to buy this book. I. want. to. lick. the. pages.

I love glass! I don't know you, Kim, but thank you!!!
Old 2011-01-23, 2:28pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I personally would be totally happy with just high resolution version of this. Plus I am worried what will happen when people start selling their copies of the books in Garage Sale section... who will be the one to suffer the lost, Kim or the ones who bought the tutorial, and bought the book, and paid almost $100 for both of them? Im just saying, that the situation might turn nasty, it is different to have a book to pass around, than to share the electronic file. People usually are good about not copying the electronic ones, but I dont know how it would be with actual book when they wanted the money, or to clean their studio...? Just a thought...
Old 2011-01-23, 8:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
I personally would be totally happy with just high resolution version of this. Plus I am worried what will happen when people start selling their copies of the books in Garage Sale section... who will be the one to suffer the lost, Kim or the ones who bought the tutorial, and bought the book, and paid almost $100 for both of them? Im just saying, that the situation might turn nasty, it is different to have a book to pass around, than to share the electronic file. People usually are good about not copying the electronic ones, but I dont know how it would be with actual book when they wanted the money, or to clean their studio...? Just a thought...
My plan is that if I print a book, the only people who will be able to purchase it at cost are those of you who have already bought the PDF. The regular price of the printed book will be more than the price of the PDF -- I guess it will have to be the price of the PDF plus whatever it costs per copy to print the book. This way the pricing will be fair, and nobody will be getting the book or the PDF for less than anyone else.

I don't see how someone selling their printed copy of the book in the Garage sale would hurt anyone, aside from maybe costing me a few sales. How would that cause a loss to someone who bought the book and the PDF? Not sure I understand, but I think I need to. Can you elaborate on that a bit?

I really appreciate all the replies here. I'm finding that there's a lot more to this than I had thought, and it's good to consider all viewpoints.

Old 2011-01-23, 9:28pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Yes, thats what I meant, youd be short a sale...
I am not saying there shouldnt be a book, Id probably be just happy with the electric form, but I know there are lots of peeps that would love to have it in touchable form.

ETA: oh, and I just thought that maybe someone would get upset if somebody else is selling the copy of the book in GS, since that would mean that they possibly would have paid less to their tutorial, and the money of it would not go to the right address, which would be you... I am not saying this would happen, but I have seen things turn sour for almost no reason before, so I am just trying to consider all that could possibly happen in the worst case.

Last edited by Pia Kaven; 2011-01-23 at 9:45pm.
Old 2011-01-24, 10:37am
dances with ideas...

Well, this does seem like a pretty complex issue. I can think of a few scenarios.

Not transferrable:
- Folks who bought the e-book and keep it electronic (or print selectively)
- Folks who bought the e-book and have already had it printed

Can sell:
- Folks who bought the printed version only

Can sell printed copy plus keep the e-book:
- Folks who bought the e-book plus the professionally printed version

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plus, those who could sell the printed versions could have bought at 2 different prices (X and X+~$60). OK, now I'm the one overthinking it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

For myself, I am not sure whether I would buy a printed copy. It certainly would be tempting, especially with a spiral binding, but I'm trying to cut down on my physical possessions.

But I have absolutely no regrets about buying the e-book. In fact, I peek at it most days. I love just looking at the eye candy. And it's great inspiration for color combos. And it has inspired me to work toward focusing on a subset of colors that I'm particularly fond of, and to be more thoughtful about acquiring new colors. So--thanks Kim!

Old 2011-01-24, 11:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
Well, this does seem like a pretty complex issue. I can think of a few scenarios.

Not transferrable:
- Folks who bought the e-book and keep it electronic (or print selectively)
- Folks who bought the e-book and have already had it printed

Can sell:
- Folks who bought the printed version only

Can sell printed copy plus keep the e-book:
- Folks who bought the e-book plus the professionally printed version

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plus, those who could sell the printed versions could have bought at 2 different prices (X and X+~$60). OK, now I'm the one overthinking it...
Hehe. Now you can see why I've been spinning my wheels for 2 weeks trying to figure out a solution that takes everyone into account. My brain hurts.

Old 2011-01-24, 12:18pm
da General

If I haven't printed the entire book using my color laser printer (and had to reorder toner cartridges for magenta, yellow and cyan at $100 each! ouch!), I would definitely purchase the printed book.

Having said that, I'd probably still purchase one for the high resolution images!

There is nothing wrong with someone reselling a printed book in the Garage Sale . . . but when that someone retains the pdf, it will be a whole different matter. . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-01-24, 4:50pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

I can see that this could get sticky but I would still LOVE to have a high def printed book. I do love the feel of a book in hand.

Old 2011-01-24, 7:24pm

Kim,

I would probably just want the hi res file. Print off what I want if I need it.

It really is complicated as to how to offer this. However, if you only charge your cost for the printed version, I can see others selling this to pay for their cost of the pdf. Therefore you really did not get your full price for the second transaction if that makes sense. It would seem that you are not making enough for all you put into it over the years. Maybe you should offer two versions. One, the ebook hi res version for a lower price and two, the printed version at a higher price. I would not combine the two. If people wanted both, they would have to buy both. After all, if I was buying a book at amazon, I'm pretty sure i would have to pay twice if I wanted the printed version and the kindle version. The author gets royalties on both. It's a good analogy for this, in my opinion.

However that being said, more and more DVDs are offering a digital version along with the DVD in an upgraded package. So there are other ways of looking it as well.

No perfect answer, obviously.
Old 2011-01-24, 9:30pm

P.S. I sure as hell wouldn't want to sell my copy of the printed book!

Old 2011-01-25, 1:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
There is nothing wrong with someone reselling a printed book in the Garage Sale . . . but when that someone retains the pdf, it will be a whole different matter. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbirtwell View Post
It really is complicated as to how to offer this. However, if you only charge your cost for the printed version, I can see others selling this to pay for their cost of the pdf. [snip] Maybe you should offer two versions. One, the ebook hi res version for a lower price and two, the printed version at a higher price. I would not combine the two. If people wanted both, they would have to buy both. After all, if I was buying a book at amazon, I'm pretty sure i would have to pay twice if I wanted the printed version and the kindle version.
Good points here. And Hayley, you're right -- if people who were able to buy the printed edition at a steep discount started buying them just so they could turn around and sell them at full price and still keep their PDF's, I have to admit I would feel pretty betrayed. There would also be the logistics of selling the same version at two different prices, which could get knotty.

Looking at the responses here and what I'm getting via email, it seems that a small minority would be interested in a book version but that most of you are happy with the PDF and would just like a high-res PDF version. To me it would seem the best overall compromise would be to do what Diane suggests, and release a high-res PDF for those who already have the digital version, and a book version at full price (i.e., at or above the price of the PDF version) for anyone who wants a professionally printed version, whether or not they already own the PDF, and leave it at that.

How would you guys feel about that? If I didn't offer a discounted copy of the printed book for those of you who have already bought the PDF, would you still be happy as long as you had a high-res PDF that you could print yourself?

Old 2011-01-25, 3:59pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Just go with your gut, Kim, before your head explodes!! lol I am just waiting to get mine as soon as you decide what you are going to do...so I am right there on the fence with you!
Old 2011-01-25, 6:09pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Kim, feel for you knowing you want to please everyone.

I plan on getting a high res. pdf copy, we just put new toner in the laser printer should be able to print one copy no problem. Already have the sheet protectors and rings to make it fold-able for the studio.

Not sure if my satellite internet will let me download 300mb all at once, often it stalls before big downloads finish. Someone mentioned having the download split into 4 smaller ones which sounds like a great idea.

Of course I'd love to have a coffee table book version too but don't think it's in the budget. Just seems more practical to get the version I wouldn't be afraid to take into the studio right now.

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-01-25, 7:58pm

I understand if this solution is what you go with - to be a fair to you and offering the high res download is fair to us, Kim.
If I did want the book also, how much will it cost?

Old 2011-01-25, 10:03pm
dances with ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
How would you guys feel about that? If I didn't offer a discounted copy of the printed book for those of you who have already bought the PDF, would you still be happy as long as you had a high-res PDF that you could print yourself?
I think that makes a ton of sense!

Old 2011-01-26, 2:24pm

Hi Kim,

I always print my favorite tutorials and spiral bound them to take outside to my torch room. Plus I don't like being a slave to my computer and it's in a completely different room. It never even dawned on me that people would sell them in the printed version!!!

I vote for printed version since my bill at Staples is too high to print them out on glossy paper and spiral bound.

May the love of animals inspire you, teach you & heal you...
Old 2011-01-29, 9:14pm
Burning Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattybeads View Post
P.S. I sure as hell wouldn't want to sell my copy of the printed book!
Ditto! . . . and I really want a printed high res version.

/
/
/

Old 2011-02-02, 10:57am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Definitatly a great idea!!!!half my tutorials are missing a page, or are not numbered and its soooo frustrating!!! Ive had computer crashes so many times, that Ive lost the originals, grrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I got mine printed with http://everything2print.com/serve/e2p/pdf.html I printed Kim's Archive, Amy's Storm, and Mary's Jellyfish Tutorials all in the same book I just named it "Tutorials 2010" You can choose your own cover art, and back cover art. It is full color, hard bound. It won't be here until Tuesday (that's what they tell me) I'll let you all know what kind of quality it is when it arrives. I paid about $65 for it. But I figured that once I paid for the ink, some decent quality paper and then something decent to put it all in, I'd probably be in the hole at least $40-$50 with all of those color photos... and that was just Kim's archive. So I ordered it.

Since I DON'T have it yet, I'm not going to recommend them yet. It might arrive and be a piece of junk. So please wait and let me see what I get for my money before ya'll go and spend a butt load of $$.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2011-02-02, 5:50pm

Hi gang -- just wanted to let you guys know that the high-res PDF version is now available. If you have already bought the standard version, you should have received an email with instructions for the high-res download. If you didn't receive the download instructions, please email me (kim-at-bluffroadglass-dot-com) and I'll make sure you get them.

The high-res PDF is now packaged with the standard digital version, so anyone who buys the e-book from now on will have the opportunity to download both versions.

I'm still on the fence about whether to release a printed book version, but I can tell you that if I do, I will not be offering it at a discount to those who already have the PDF. Sorry about that, but there just wasn't a way to swing it without introducing a whole nest of problems I'm not prepared to take on. So if there is a printed edition it will be a separate product and priced accordingly at or above the price of the PDF version.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. I hope to start seeing some of your Color Archive-inspired beads in the Gallery soon!

Any questions about any of this, just post here or drop me an email.

Old 2011-02-02, 6:07pm

Is the high res version only for those who purchased the entire archive or do those that purchased individual sections get the high res version too?
Old 2011-02-02, 6:13pm

Sorry, I will not be releasing high-res versions of the smaller sections, just the one for the complete archive.

Old 2011-02-02, 6:20pm

Ok, thanks.
Old 2011-02-02, 10:56pm

I personally don't think it would be right to re-sell any part of a tutorial, book or e-file. You are paying for the author to provide you with the knowledge, and once you have read the tutorial you can't "unlearn" the info. So I think the next person should pay the author for that knowledge. I think it is very important to be fair to the authors because if they are sharing their knowledge on certain beads, usually very popular beads, and others begin to make similar beads to sell, the author has created competion for themselves. The tradeoff is that they get paid for the information instead of the beads. If people read the tutorials or printed versions, then sell them the author loses out on a sale, meaning more competetion yet but no more $$ trade off. At what point would the author decide that it would be better to keep the info to themselves? I do realize that not everyone or possibly even very many at all would sell their's but to me it is the principle of it. (I have no tutorials nor the expertise to write one, but I do buy them) That said I would put something about these printed versions being non-transferable also. I love tutorials and want to make sure artists keep them coming though, has got to be win-win

Last edited by dianeconroy; 2011-02-02 at 11:04pm.
Old 2011-02-03, 8:29am

Yea! I will order mine this weekend and prepare for the long download.
Old 2011-02-03, 8:37am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
I'm still on the fence about whether to release a printed book version, but I can tell you that if I do, I will not be offering it at a discount to those who already have the PDF. Sorry about that, but there just wasn't a way to swing it without introducing a whole nest of problems I'm not prepared to take on.
but I understand.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-02-03, 8:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeconroy View Post
...I would put something about these printed versions being non-transferable also. I love tutorials and want to make sure artists keep them coming though, has got to be win-win
There is language on the copyright page of the Color Archive PDF that prohibits the PDF's and/or printed copies made from them from being sold or transferred. I think it's pretty clear.

"Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited, with the exception that you may print one copy, and make one digital backup copy, for your personal and non-commercial use only. You may not, except with the author’s express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content of this work. Nor may you transmit it to any third party or store it on any other computer or other form of electronic retrieval system."

If I do release an "official" printed version of course, people would be entitled to resell their used copies. I get what you're saying about not being able to "unlearn" the information and on some level I agree with you, but used books have always been sold, loaned and traded, and that's just a reality you have to accept when you publish a book in the traditional format.

I think most people are honest and respect the boundaries with stuff like this, and that's all anyone can hope for.

Old 2011-02-03, 10:03am

I just downloaded my copy of the high-def version and I gotta tell you - it's worth it! Only took 5 minutes with comcast cable.

It is beautiful, Kim. I had no idea it would be so much more detailed but the pics are fabulous! I would definitely pay again to buy a printed book version.

Old 2011-02-04, 9:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattybeads View Post
I just downloaded my copy of the high-def version and I gotta tell you - it's worth it! Only took 5 minutes with comcast cable.

It is beautiful, Kim. I had no idea it would be so much more detailed but the pics are fabulous! I would definitely pay again to buy a printed book version.
Thanks Patty, I'm happy to hear that. I'm surprised you would see so much difference viewing it on screen. Or did you print it out already? Anyway, cool beans, I'm glad!

Old 2011-02-04, 10:21am

Not printed yet. I can tell a diff on my screen. I have a fairly new one.