LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-08-05, 3:24pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I made these using copper green as a base, then silvered river rock stringer and finally a thin stripe of EDP. Melt in with a slightly bushy flame, cool, etch, make earrings with them & post on Etsy and POOF! Sold within 15 minutes! Thanks, Amber!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-08-05, 3:38pm

I'm not surprised someone snapped them up! They are gorgeous.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-05, 3:59pm

Yep!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-08-06, 3:35am
Evil Glass Enabler

Yes, those are to die for. I can see why they left Etsy so quickly. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-08-06, 7:24am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

WoOHoo! I love that you can do this with other colors! They're gorgeous, Joy!

Old 2012-11-17, 10:50pm
Heart of Flame

Amber, thank you so much for sharing this. Your work is lovely but I can see that you are even more lovely!

Old 2013-01-21, 5:56pm

I am also in the epic fail category, but not for the lack of trying. I actually think I did get it, but I used EDP and it greyed on me. I tried some other colors today and they are in the kiln.. I really like the edp, but so far it hates me. I saw where you should reheat it if it goes wacky.. Well, I reheated it alright!. LOL

I want to do this tech. so badly.. I will get it, I will get it.. lol Next week try again. Will post photos as soon as I get to work so I can photograph my mess.

I love all of Amber's tutorials or guess I should say my hothead and I love Amber's tutorials.

Oh, I forgot.. I tried, edp pulled into skinny stringer, baby blue, copper green, another green, can't remember what it is, and candy corn. Next time I will try some others. I would like to get a carmel/amber color in the center. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cherri
Old 2013-01-22, 3:21pm

My failures... the purples are not that nice in real life.

Cherri
Old 2013-01-23, 1:19pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

what if you only have foil? Will it work? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Lori, you take a 2mm Dark Ivory stringer that you order directly from any glass vendor you like.

Roll it over 1/3 sheet of silver leaf (not foil) so the silver is coating the outside of the glass only. Roll it longways so it covers about 1/3 of the stringer.

Marver it into the stringer then flash through the flame to make it stick to the outside of the stringer but don't melt it into a ball. Some of it will burn off but most of the silver will go onto the stripe.

Then use it on the bead to make a stripe down the center.

Here's a photo...

Old 2013-01-24, 6:59am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Cherri, I'm sorry about your fails. I don't know what to tell you since I haven't used those colors for this technique. I can only go by the successes I have had and it's with the Lauscha glass. :/

Patty, foil is too thick. The silver will eat the Lasucha so I don't recommend it.

Old 2013-01-24, 8:39am

I own some of these beads, and love them! Thank you for sharing.

Ginko Beads
Old 2013-01-24, 9:21pm

Quote:
Cherri, I'm sorry about your fails. I don't know what to tell you since I haven't used those colors for this technique. I can only go by the successes I have had and it's with the Lauscha glass. :/

Patty, foil is too thick. The silver will eat the Lasucha so I don't recommend it.
Amber don't be sorry.. I am going to get it... EVENTUALLY.. lol
I thought I ordered some of the lauscha, but guess I didn't.. Someday..
Cherri
Old 2013-01-26, 8:53pm
Dynamic Duo

SO GLAD I just reviewed this again.

AMBER - the picture of your silvered ivory stringer is just what I needed. I could never get the amount of silver to show in beads like you do, and now I see why.

Was making SIS with full rod of ivory. heating up the end of the rod and rolling heated part in the silver leaf, then pulling into stringer. Works great for getting organic effects and reactions with other colors, but does not result in any silver in the bead. So tomorrow I need to go just pull some ivory stringers, and then foil them up and have them ready for play!

Old 2013-01-27, 9:56am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Remember, it's silver LEAF not foil.

Old 2013-02-10, 12:37pm

Default Silvered Ivory

Not sure what this is, who, name, company.

Thanks
Old 2013-02-10, 12:38pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Not sure what "what" is?

Old 2013-02-10, 2:04pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Silvered Ivory is a self-made creation that a lampwork artist makes themselves. It is usually a rod of ivory, with silver foil melted on the tip, and then a stringer is pulled to use for decoration.

I do mine a little differently. I use a pre-made Ivory stringer, wrap silver leaf arund it, adhese it in the flame and then use that for this particular bead. It is covered in previous posts in this tutorial so you will have to go back through and have a read to get all the details.

Old 2013-02-27, 4:34pm

I have tried this one but .... nothing of the effect.
Just made an organic bead with it, nothing wrong with it but it was not what I wanted.
I am not so happy with the Lauscha olive, it doesn't spread as well as EDP but may be it is just the Lauscha olive I have.
I will try again with EDP or another spreading color.
Ineke
Old 2013-02-27, 5:11pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
1 Silvered Ivory stringer - use a factory-pulled Dark Ivory stringer and roll it over 1/3 sheet of silver leaf.
Is that lengthwise or widthwise? Wait, are the silver leaf sheets square? LOL

Silver leaf is the thin stuff, right?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-06-27, 2:45pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Haha... yes the leaf (and the foil) are square. Roll it on the long way so that you get more coverage on the factory made stringer.

Here's some nuggets and some big hole beads. I love making these!
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-27, 4:30pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Aimee, oh sorry - never saw that post...once you have 1/3rd of the sheet, it's a lengthwise wrap...

Old 2013-07-06, 10:11pm

Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

Made lots of these today. They're still in the kiln but I wasn't getting the same stripey pattern shown here so came back to reread.

Ha- I'm an idiot. 3 steps and I manage to mess it up I was placing the color stringer first then the SIS. Will post pictures tomorrow of the result in case anyone wants to see the difference.

LE members enjoy a 10% discount with coupon code "LEmember"
Old 2013-07-07, 7:01am
Loving learning

I keep messing them up to, don't feel bad. I can't seem to get the silver dots for one thing, or not many if any.
Also I keep mixing up ivory/dark ivory, and last, my color doesn't spread nicely... sigh.

These have an ivory base, but did use the dark ivory commercial stringer.
I did see a little silver on them before etching.

And then I etched these with the creme from Michaels, because I'd tumbled the last ones & thought maybe the tumbling was knocking off any silver that might have been there.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong..
Old 2013-07-07, 7:05am

I am not getting the color to spread. But I will keep at it!
Old 2013-07-07, 9:07am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Remember, the stringer of color should be super thin - around 1mm thick or thinner... looks like it might be too thick on yours, Eileen. Also, the SIS and the color stringer all need to be left raised until the final melt. Don't melt in the SIS first then add the color.

Old 2013-07-07, 9:15am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I keep messing them up to, don't feel bad. I can't seem to get the silver dots for one thing, or not many if any.
Also I keep mixing up ivory/dark ivory, and last, my color doesn't spread nicely... sigh.

These have an ivory base, but did use the dark ivory commercial stringer.
I did see a little silver on them before etching.

And then I etched these with the creme from Michaels, because I'd tumbled the last ones & thought maybe the tumbling was knocking off any silver that might have been there.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong..
Nothing! Those are killer cool!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-07-07, 9:33am
Loving learning

Amber I am leaving both stringers raised until I melt, but will try again with thinner stringer. I'm mm challenged, but will pull some thinner than I have it now (pencil lead thickness now).

Elizabeth, thank you
When I'm trying to do "A" and don't get the result I want, it is a disappointment even when what I get is something else ~ even if it's pretty good too, until I look at it later & can appreciate it for itself! So today I'm making another small one to at least have three that could be used together if I wanted to make a bracelet or something.

Then I'll try it with the smaller stringer to see how that changes things.
Old 2013-10-30, 3:54pm

A couple more colours that work with this effect.

Effetre Olive green transparent
Vetrofond translucent orange
Reichenbach garnet.

Pastel ink blue worked, and spread beautifully, but the effect is diminished as it's opaque in the finished bead.
same with Petroleum green.

EDP works, but the silver turns it a mucky brown

I'm going to try more transparent/translucent colours next time. I wonder if alabasters would work? I only have pink...so I'll try that.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2013-10-30, 4:10pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Nicole - need pics!!!

Old 2013-10-30, 4:19pm

Quote:
Nicole - need pics!!!
Patience! I just pulled them out of the kiln and had to post.
I think I need to etch them too.

I might do before and after shots

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!

Tags
acid goddess, amber rules!, denim tigers, free how-to, free tutorial, get etched, great karma for you, hothead tutorial, inspirational, lampwork beads tut, olive tigers, so generous, stand still