Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2013-02-14, 1:30am
Mad about Glass

A great video Dawn. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[url]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-14, 6:36pm
Wow. Just Wow.

Thanks so much, Dawn.
Old 2013-02-14, 7:06pm
Lampworkaholic!

OK, here is my first try with Dalai Lama using Dawn's method. I think I am getting them too hot and/or holding them in the kiln too long and they are overstriking. Anyway they have quite a different look.

Also so far half have compatibility cracks and I expect it's a matter of time for the rest. I used some old old Lauscha 3mm clear to encase. I've been using that Lauscha to encase other beads with no issues, so it just didn't like the DL. Also, the DL I have is marked seconds so maybe it is off CoE?

I tried again today with Clarity. Beads in the kiln now.
Attached Images

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-02-15, 8:06am
Mmmmm....Raku

Elizabeth, the beads are gorgeous! I'm so sorry about the cracking though. Honestly, I've never had good luck using Lauscha with silver glass. I almost always use Aether to encase my DL beads. A few times I've used Reichenbach crystal. (Not the soft version, but the regular 104 COE Crystal)

I've kept my beads in the kiln for 12 hours or so at my garage temp of 950 and never had any trouble with over striking.

Can't wait to see your results with the Clarity!

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2013-02-15, 9:34am

Thanks so much for this video, Dawn. It got me going in the right direction with this glass.
Attached Images

Old 2013-02-15, 9:53am

Cool

Dawn: Makes perfect sense. Guess I thought I would just set it and that would be it. I'm pulling out my wrench. Thanks

Elizabeth & Pat: Great job. Dawn makes it look so easy doesn't she?
Old 2013-02-15, 10:03am
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks Dawn and Marla. I've been using this older batch of Lauscha with my silver glass but I usually make a base with it first so the silver glass is sandwiched.

So far so good with the Clarity but still overstruck. It may be my particular batch of DL. Or maybe I'm getting it too hot when I melt the encasement.

I tried the same technique with Van Gogh and did much better. Beads are soaking, photos to be added later.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-02-20, 7:47am

Thank you so much, Dawn. What a wonderful video!

You can't shine if you don't burn
Old 2013-02-20, 8:25am

Great video, Dawn! Thanks for sharing! I hope to try that glass sometime. I also picked up some great tips.

Also. what a nice clean work area!

Old 2013-02-24, 4:13pm

Thanks, Dawn. You've inspired me, and I'm heating my kiln now, even though I don't know if I have these glasses...think it will work that way w/ some others? Just the clear stringer could set color if I keep it cool, right? You rock! ♥

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2013-02-24, 6:49pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Awesome beads Pat! So glad the video helped!

And Stef, my bench stays that clean for about an hour so try not to be too impressed.

Old 2013-02-24, 6:54pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by helensharvest View Post
Thanks, Dawn. You've inspired me, and I'm heating my kiln now, even though I don't know if I have these glasses...think it will work that way w/ some others? Just the clear stringer could set color if I keep it cool, right? You rock! ♥
Yes, the stringer method of encasing seems to keep all my striking silver glass more colorful. Raku, Terra, basically anything that tends to loose color if overworked. That's why I tend to keep my beads on the smaller side. Once I get them encased I want to get them shaped back up quickly, without getting them too hot, and get them in the kiln.

Last edited by Dawn >^..^<; 2013-02-24 at 7:08pm.
Old 2013-02-24, 7:29pm
Bad Cat Glass

Thanks so much for doing this, Dawn. Why did it never occur to me to use a stringer to encase my silver glass?!? Great idea, and thank you again for taking the time to do this.
Old 2013-02-24, 7:53pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Shortly after I began making beads, almost nine years ago, I found an article written by Mary Lockwood (Moth) about encasing with stringer. It was a breakthrough for my encasing and has been my preferred method ever since. Once I started working with striking silver glass, I noticed what a difference it made to be able to keep the beads a little bit cooler and the stringer encasing did the trick.

I've used other methods, like the "blob it on", the "horizontal stripe" and the "all at once", but then trying to get the bead back in shape after applying the clear always resulted in much longer working times and overheating the core. So I owe a big thanks to Mary for "showing" me the stringer method way back when!

Old 2013-02-24, 8:11pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks so much Dawn. I can't wait to try this.

Old 2013-02-25, 3:33pm
Carpe beadum

Shoot. Look how neat and tidy your workspace is. I have serious neatness envy.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2013-02-26, 4:59pm

Dawn, thank you so much for this wonderful video! I feel as though I know you after reading all gazillion pages of your "How-To Raku" thread, and you are just as sweet in the video as you seem in your writing. Although I have done lampworking for several years, I am a newbie here on LE; what a wonderful place to learn and share.

Helene
Old 2013-02-26, 9:21pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I have some in the kiln that are lookin' pretty good!

Old 2013-02-27, 8:53pm
Sheila Davis Designs

This is Tibet encased with Zephyr.
Attached Images

Old 2013-02-28, 12:04am
Mmmmm....Raku

Sheila, those look great!!!

Old 2013-02-28, 7:37am
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks Dawn. I tried this method with MCD but didn't get the same results.

Old 2013-02-28, 8:46am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Thanks Dawn. I tried this method with MCD but didn't get the same results.
I find that MCD doesn't need the super heating, in fact, I just ignore it and treat it like any other glass to get the best results. When I make a bead of solid MCD, I get blue. If I encase over top of MCD decorations, I get reds. And if I leave MCD raised on the surface I get really nice purples. These are the results I get without treating it "special". I use the 96 COE version.

Old 2013-02-28, 4:15pm

Sheila they are just beautiful.
Old 2013-02-28, 8:53pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thank you Marla.

Old 2013-03-01, 4:51pm

Thank you so very much, Dawn! You really make that silvered glass sing!
Happy creating,
ginger
Old 2013-03-04, 11:02am
Grateful Member

Dawn...
Thanks for the video. I just downloaded..haven't had a chance to watch yet, but will soon. I've had "issues" getting the max color with some of the TAG glass. This will help! Nice of you to do.

by the way...gorgeous beads!!

Barb
Old 2013-03-08, 9:26pm
Lava Maker

great video. A must do on my next torching session.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2013-03-22, 4:01am

Loved the video, and Now i am finally getting great color out of fire lotus! Thank you!!!!!
Old 2013-03-22, 6:41am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
That's quite possible. That's why I don't do larger pressed beads or big focals with this glass. With the smaller beads I can encase them and get them back in shape quickly and without heating them to the core again.
Small beads...LOL

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2013-03-22, 7:24am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Small beads...LOL
Yes, small....not mini or micro. Just because the whole set of beads can't sit atop a dime doesn't make them large!

Tags
dalai lama, fire lotus