Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-27, 2:03pm

Default Pixie dust

Is there a difference between pixie dust and pearl-ex. I have been going through the archives ans some people talk about pixie dust and some talk about pearl-ex. If they are different which one is better and what is a good brand name of pixie dust.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2013-06-27, 7:36pm
I fart diamonds

Pixie Dust is just a name given to mica dust. Pearl Ex is a brand name. Both are mica. Brands don't really matter but you have to make sure you're getting real mica. The least expensive place I've ever seen it was at Pearl Art Supply. Unfortunately, the one we had here closed down.

Old 2013-06-27, 11:30pm

I like this company's products:

http://www.seppleaf.com/sgw

Barbara
Old 2013-06-27, 11:42pm
It's all about the color.

I did some comparison's between the brands and the Pearl-Ex were slightly less prone to packing. Follow the link in my signature to find the charts.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-06-28, 4:52am

Thank you all, this clears things up for me.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-06-28, 4:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
I did some comparison's between the brands and the Pearl-Ex were slightly less prone to packing. Follow the link in my signature to find the charts.
Hi Kay, I found your site last night looking through the archives and bookmarked it. You have a lot of great info out there.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-06-28, 11:52am

Thanks for your kind words.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-06-28, 3:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
Thanks for your kind words.
You welcome.
I tried some pixie dust I had bought from Devardi glass a long time ago but never used. After reading all the post I could find I tried it today and like the way my first ones came out. The ones I did not encase I am very happy with. I tried encasing some and the pixie dust disappeared, the glass almost went back to clear. I know it can be done I've seen some nice work in the archives and the gallery.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-06-30, 11:14am
Arrow Springs

Default Pixie Dust - the Real True Story!

Hi Bob,

Pixie Dust is a brand name for mica powders. When we began purchasing them in bulk and repackaging them for the convenience of our customers, Steve Moore was the person in charge of repackaging. Steve is a funny, wonderful man - and one day he just started laughing and said "this stuff just floats everywhere and now I am covered in it - it looks like I am covered in pixie dust" and we liked that comment so much we called it Pixie Dust.

I see that now it's kind of like Kleenex, which is actually tissue something or other but we all call it Kleenex. It's great that these powders are now all generically called Pixie Dust, but it is the name we came up with at the start.

Right now if you go to our home page, http://www.arrowsprings.com and scroll down you will find most of the colors we carry are 50% off. We also have a great tip sheet on how to work with them here:
http://arrowsprings.com/html/using_pixie_dust.html

Hope this little bit of history clears things up!

Donna - Arrow Springs - BellaDonna Glass - Dazzlings!
Old 2013-06-30, 11:55am

Wow, Donna, that is a cool post. I love the story behind stuff like that!

BTW, Arrow Springs rocks. Great tools, good prices, fast delivery, a good vendor all around.

Best regards,
Helene
Old 2013-06-30, 12:04pm
Arrow Springs

Default Thanks!

Thanks Helene, we try really hard. We have downsized and it's harder by the day - but thanks so much for the pat on the back, I will pass it around!

Donna
Old 2013-06-30, 12:28pm
Angie09

Donna....2 questions. Is the price shown for the Pixie Dust the price before or after the 50% off? And, will the Pixie Dust on a bead eventually rub off? Thanks... I too love Arrow Springs!
Old 2013-06-30, 1:30pm

Donna, thanks for that explanation. I was wondering where the name came from. Would it be OK to put that story on my Pearl Powder Charts page?
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pearl/charts.htm

Old 2013-06-30, 3:28pm

No wonder I was confused. It should make you proud that you coined a name that is in the same class as Kleenex, a generic term. Thanks for the explanation, I also agree with the earlier post about you being a good company to deal with.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-06-30, 3:35pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Here's a great thread about Pixie Dust!
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ght=pixie+dust