Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-01, 8:57pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah evans
Tink,

Its nice to be here! Now about those color flecks, that is a mystery! I might try a finer grit to blast with, maybe 220. I also buff stubborn paint spots with a Q-tip, hope that helps. I have a how too on oil painting coming out in the next issue of the Flow that might help as well.
I'm gonna give it another shot. Robbin told me the cheaper the paint, the better. Maybe he was joking. ROFL!

I also have some acrylics that I've wanted to try in conjunction with the oils and some India Ink sgrafitto type stuff.

We'll have to hook up when I come back down there. Marcie, Rolf, John and I had a great evening together a few weeks ago. We're probably moving to the Palm Bay/Melbourne Beach/Indialantic area in a couple of years when I quit teaching on the road.

Hey, can't WAIT to see your article in The Flow!!!!!

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tink; 2006-02-01 at 9:04pm.
Old 2006-02-02, 7:23am

Yes please get ahold of me, I would love to meet you someday! Marcie and Rolf are great people, they helped me out a lot when I first moved down here, you should relocate, its fun down here!

as far as oil paint goes, the cheaper the better is true! but some colors work better than others that is for sure.
Old 2006-02-02, 12:09pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I have a really neat idea that I have worked with before. I have never seen anyone else use it in glass before and it gives a really cool texture to it.
To really explain it I am going to need a pic and my bestfriend has one of the pieces I did. the other was an order I made this is what pushed me to try it out as nothing else I tried would work. Although my ingredient doesn't sound as if it would work well, both pieces I made have been alive and well for over 3 years now.
So I will run by her house and steal the piece and take pic of it for you all.
Humm sharing secrets? Oh well, isn't that what this is all about?

Old 2006-02-02, 12:46pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I can't tell you guys how pleased I am at the response to this thread! Those of you who have studied with me know that I am very keen on pushing people to think beyond their current, safe reality.

I also make sure my students know that I struggle every day with my work: Finding a new voice, then searching/learning/inventing ways to sing with that new voice.

As beautiful as a solo can be, I'm thrilled to have you all join in the chorus. Sing, my friends! Explore! Discover! Lift your artist's voice to the heavens and say, "So I dream, So I shall do."

Also Available in

Old 2006-02-02, 1:28pm

Default Question.

I am sitting here with two small jars of brass that looks like fairly fine frit which was left from drilling some brass for a project I did for the Bead Challenges. I get tempted to put a little on a bead and see if I could get away with it and it would not crack the bead. Have anyone tried this? Peg M
Old 2006-02-02, 4:04pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Tink I love the way you think. You and I have talked and you know many days I struggle also. It's not easy to sit down everyday and come up with an amazeing bead, sculpture work, or vessle. Doesn't happen every day,and sometimes not even every week. Today I have sung! Can't wait to see if my song is a beauitful one, and one worthy of others hearing in the morning.

Peg, have not tried it but I say "Go For It!" The worst that can happen is it will crack. Whenever I experiment with unknown things in my glass beads I always do the freezer test afterwards.

Must add many times a respirator is in need also.

Last edited by Shawn T; 2006-02-03 at 11:36am.
Old 2006-02-03, 8:08am

Excellent thread, one and all. Thank you!

In my book, if you want ruggedness and bite, you think of Karen Ovington first. She was one of my original favorites, many eons ago. Still is! (She was at Bead Fest in PhillyPA last fall.) Here is a gallery of some of her pieces: http://www.ovingtonglassstudio.com/Custom_Beads.html. Also look at page 2. Some of the pix are a bit out-of-focus, but you can see all the knobs, knarls, ridges, bumps, and whorls. She also leaves the surface enamel texture rough, by just flashing the bead in the flame to bond the grains, but not melting them in. I love the freedom of her 'hand'. So wonderfully loosey-goosey!

JanMD
Old 2006-02-03, 9:00am

I've tried the brass shavings once and didn't like the results. I should have tried more than one bead though. They didn't seem to sit on the bead very well so I encased them and ended up with a bead full of bubbles. I pressed it into a lentil and even with all the bubbles it has survived for 6 months now. There was no sparkle though as I had hoped for. I'd love to see what you come up with though.

Chris
Old 2006-02-03, 9:24am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Shawn, your post has me beaming!!! Yes, this is fun. But it's darn hard work, too, especially if you are trying to move forward and truly dig deep into your soul for inspiration.

I've finally figured out all the necessary stuff for my new gallery series. Here is my first attempt. Sorry the pics aren't up to snuff. And they're pretty huge.

I wish the photos could convey the depth and richness of this surface treatment. I was having so much trouble getting exactly the look I wanted that I started a thread elsewhere at LE to get some input. I finally did figure out how to get what I wanted, but it was a real nail biter. LOL!

Also Available in

Old 2006-02-03, 11:51am
Surrounded by Trouble

Tink,
I love the song you are singing today! Reminds me of "Blue Suede Shoes"
The finished piece in its stand is just wonderful. It reminds me of a pin drop, very precise and defined.

I would love to see another one with a wider vessel to match the wide base. Of course I like girth.

Old 2006-02-05, 9:33pm

Bumping this up! I made several touchable beads this weekend thanks to this thread. I'll post pics soon.
Old 2006-02-06, 4:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
I wish the photos could convey the depth and richness of this surface treatment. I was having so much trouble getting exactly the look I wanted that I started a thread elsewhere at LE to get some input. I finally did figure out how to get what I wanted, but it was a real nail biter. LOL!

Bravo, Tink! Lovely vessel! The stand sets off your vessel to it's best advantage! I also love the vessel without a stopper of any kind - it allows the glass to just be.

Old 2006-02-19, 5:10am
Embracing My Wonkiness

bump...cuz it was hella hard to find.
Old 2006-02-20, 1:20am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I've been working dilligently on a grouping of this type vessel for my exhibit next week at Glass Axis (Columbus, Ohio). I'm using slices of granite instead of chunks, which I quite like. I have a nice selection of vessels to go with the stands... Each one wildly different from all the others.

I've experimented with many various patinas, too. From my favorite (verdigris) to aged copper to a really cool mossy bronze. I really need to take some photos if I get a chance before we leave town.

Also Available in

Old 2006-05-30, 12:44pm
StudioMarcy

Bump! Anyone have any new info to add. Love this thread.
Marcy
Old 2006-05-30, 2:11pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Well, I just finished cleaning a vessel I've decided will be called "Heavy Metal". I decided to overdose it with all manner of silver, and it turned out really, really cool!

Today I'm working with enamels, both opaque and transparent.

Also Available in

Old 2006-10-23, 3:39am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Time to resurrect this thread! Let's see some textures... some unique colorations... some scintillating surfaces!

Also Available in

Old 2006-10-23, 8:30am
Glass my new Obsession

I didn't know you could use pearl-ex with glass.I have tons of that stuff.
Tina

Old 2006-10-23, 8:32am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Yep. It's just mica powder. Some of the colors don't work as well as the rest of them. When I got my nice big set, I tested them all and removed the ones that didn't work very well to my art supply area.

Also Available in

Old 2006-10-23, 8:34am
Glass my new Obsession

Cool!Guess what I will be playing with today
Tina

Old 2006-10-23, 10:35am
Pyromaniac

Whooohoo! THANKS for resurrecting this thread... I've got to try some of this stuff... and Micah Evans is the guy we were talking about @ the Fest I think...the Awesome Miami glass blower... Good thing too, those so-and-so's at University of Miami can't return an email or a phone call it's pathetic.

Quote:
We're probably moving to the Palm Bay/Melbourne Beach/Indialantic area in a couple of years when I quit teaching on the road.
Whoohoo Again! I see parties in our future
Old 2006-10-23, 10:36am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Uh oh.

We may be changing our minds. Portland is looking awfully good... LOL!

Also Available in

Old 2006-10-23, 12:34pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

The new shimmery eye shadows have mica in them. I tried it but only 10 % of my colors didn't turn brown.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2006-10-23, 1:09pm
torch monkey 4 life

Quote:
Uh oh.

We may be changing our minds. Portland is looking awfully good... LOL!
Boo! Portland! I hear it smells there, really really bad. And it gives you hives! Florida is sooo much better.
Old 2006-10-23, 6:14pm
Glass my new Obsession

Don't use True Blue Pearl-Ex.I did and got yucky grey beadsSuper Copper looks cool though!
Tina

Old 2006-10-23, 6:22pm
sunscreen me baby

Here is a great link to what pearl ex colors do what:
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pearl/charts.htm

~

Old 2006-10-23, 6:23pm
sunscreen me baby

Oh and sparkling copper is a great inclusion.

~

Old 2006-10-23, 8:15pm
Glass my new Obsession

Wow COOL!
Tina

Old 2006-10-27, 11:05am
Biscuit Lover

I just saw this incredible graal marble on ebay, and thought of this thread- hope it's okay to post it here... but wow... i fancy geometric stuff anyways, I have one of emiko's wonderful geometric-looking beads...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180042455824
Old 2006-11-05, 8:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ
Let's see...

I've tried sand, liked it.

Rolling it in bits of chopped up copper wire, got black specks sticking out, haven't figured out how to use that one, but cool.

salt to get rid of edp devit, just made it crumbly on the outside so it could be a cool distressed stone thing.

Copper flakes pearlex from my poly clay days, very pretty shiney textured bead I like.

I have also done the Pebeo paints which are fun but I haven't played too much with that since I'm not a very good painter.
I did get the magic markers and need to play with those. They are in my pile of experiments to be done.

I'm about to play with enamels when I find my darn respirator...
Well I am glad to see this, I have several vials of various colors of the fimo metalic powders...I am going to try them! I am searching for the effect. Necklace by Barb is STUNNING...I make my own clear frit for sugar beads that would work for that effect tho...what a great thread! Gee I like LE a whole BUNCH!

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!