Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-15, 10:42am
critter creator

Question question for HH Users

Hi Everyone!

It looks like I'm about to downgrade to using #1 disposable propane tanks instead of my BBQ-sized tank due to the new location at which I will be torching.

Could anyone give me an estimate as to how long these #1 tanks last at a single stretch? Can I get a day's worth of torchwork out of this?

I'll be working on a Minor with oxygen from a concentrator (have yet to acquire this...)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Wes.
Old 2007-08-15, 11:09am

Ugh. I was crazy enough to be on these little tanks for 3 years! I just moved to the big guys recently. I would personally never go back.
Sorry, don't mean to be discouraging

I found the little tanks lasted about 3-4 hrs. give or take. That's not including the fact that after about 30 min. of use, they go all icy and "pretend" they're empty. I never tried submerging the tanks in warm water whilst torching. Seemed too much trouble to me!
Also, (at least for me) you'll end up with little tanks littering your entire house/yard. They have to be taken to the hazardous waste facility, but you have to make an appt. and they only allow drop-off on certain days. Usually one Saturday per month, which I always seemed to miss! I really recommend trying to work around this if you can. Obviously though, I did it for 3 yrs. so it must not have been that much of a pain!
Old 2007-08-15, 11:26am
I'm meeeeelting

I lasted for about 2 months on the HH with 1 gallon canisters. My recollection is that a tank lasted around 3 hrs. I did the warm water submerge. It helped marginally.

You may not need to go to the hazardous waste facility -- check on how it's done in your locale. Here the empties can go into the regular trash.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-15, 11:31am
critter creator

Oi vey!!! Well, thanks for the information!

At least it sounds like I can get half a day out of them - sure will be a lot more expensive than the BBQ tank, but better safe than sorry I guess
Old 2007-08-15, 11:59am
Gentleman of Leisure

You may want to look at these threads... Because I know where you are going with this...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=steak+saver
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=steak+saver

Also "cold sinking" #1 cylinders will help (canister is bucket of water)...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-08-15, 12:19pm
birdergirl ~o~

I used just 2 #1 cylinders of Mapp before I switched to bulk ~ When I finished the first tank and looked at the pitiful amount of beads I made versus the amount of "garbage" ( the empty tank ) that I caused I almost cried. I'd never go back.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-08-15, 12:35pm
critter creator

Thanks everyone and especially thanks to Dale on the adapter info!

Bummed but trying to make this work,
Wes.
Old 2007-08-15, 12:51pm

I wrapped a heating pad around my 1 lb cannister, and put it on low. It kept the bottle from freezing up. Other than dropping a piece of hot glass on the cover which burned a hole in it, it worked fine.

Cheryl

Old 2007-08-15, 2:13pm
birdergirl ~o~

Wes!
D0 you make those great bugs on a HH??

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~