LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-30, 3:54pm

I have a scorpion and a cricket. I recently sold my Lynx. I would buy any or all of them again. I am now trying to justify a sidewinder.

If I had to choose only one, my scorpion. Hands down awesome to go really large or keep it really small and focussed. Specifically built for O2 concentrators but really can do some amazing flips on tanked!
Old 2011-08-30, 6:07pm

I like different torches for different types of glass. Love my scorpion for boro. Love my cuda for soft glass. Just got a sidewinder and I love that too...... but might part with my scorpion since I don't need 3 large torches.
Started on a minor and it was a great little torch.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2011-08-30, 7:39pm
burnin' glass just becuz

HH - yes, loved it. great beginner torch - cheap to own and run, just requires patience
Minor - tried it at a friend's studio - flame is nice and hot but too narrow and penetrating for my style of beads. better for small beads, imo
Mega Minor - love it! nice wide, fluffy flame but not too intense so great for sculpting big beads, works fine on one oxycon, gets screaming hot and melts like butter on tanked oxy

i'm considering the Mini Milon as my next torch since it's inexpensive, has low oxy needs and can still do decent sized boro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2011-08-30, 8:57pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I have a Barracuda, a MiniCC and a few Minor torches.

I love love love my 'Cuda... but if had to downgrade, I would go back to the MiniCC but not the Minor.

Old 2011-08-31, 7:59am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

hh, minor, mini cc, tiger shark (that I use at the glass center,)
I would definitely buy another min cc, never another minor, but I do have it as my back up home torch.
While im in love with the tiger, at home on a concentrator its not great, so I will save that for the liquid oxy of the glass center.
I cant rave enough about the mini cc and most of my students who go on to buy torches other than the HH (which I think is great for what it is too) buy the mini cc and love it as opposed to the minors we teach on. I really should get a commision I think...

~~
~~
Old 2011-08-31, 7:56pm

Started on a hot head, moved up to a Bobcat on a single concentrator - I make really large stuff [soft glass] so I was always impatient. Upgraded to a scorpion and a second concentrator about a year ago - LOVE it - I would absolutely do it again!

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2011-09-01, 1:48pm
Queen Bee

I have a cricket and find the flame too narrow for longer / bigger beads. Is the Bobcat very different from the Cricket? I have an M20 coming from oxydoc and want a bigger torch - but have no idea where to start, lol. Thanks for all the info - though still call me confused

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2011-09-01, 2:43pm
Queen Tut ;)

I've been loving my minor, other than I want to go bigger. Looking at a Bobcat and Lynx. About to try a HH again after 16 years...wondering if I remember how it works

Old 2011-09-01, 2:54pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I just bought a new Bravo and I love it, really drives the heat into the glass. I also have a Nortel Red Rocket, it only has two settings, small flame and huge flame, due to it's construction you need to rage on the outer fire to keep from overheating. The bravo however, has an infinite range of settings, I can't wait to get more torch time.
Old 2011-09-01, 3:47pm

Hot head- nope
Minor- ok to start with but would never want to run one again I have one for sale if interested
midrange minor- same as a minor but it has a bigger torch under it for larger work the problem i have with these torches is its hard to get a pinpoint flame for fine detail work I have one of these for sale also if your interested
carlise cc- great torch work horse Great for industrial work big vac stacks etc. it has a premix center fire that is way hot, for me to hot for fine detail work oh and if you plan to do soft glass forget it. If I was doing the type of work I used to do yes I would buy again. Oh I have one of these for sale also if interested.
Bethlehem Piranha- super torch can get a nice hot pinpoint flame for detail work big enough for good size beads comparable to a cricket If all I was making was beads I would buy in one a second but they are no longer made but the alpha is comming soon. I also have a piranha for sale if interested
Bethlehem Baracuda- great torch small center flame like the piranha but also a larger outer flame for bigger work this was my favorite torch for a long time but they are no longer made and mine was getting worn out at around 15 years of use. It was going to cost to much to rebuild so I sold it back in june.
Bethlehem bravo- Just got one in the mail today I like it better than the cuda bigger outer flame and hotter. yes I would buy another and no this ones not for sale.
Any GTT torch they are great torches and woud be happy to own any of them Have ran most of them some can be oxy hogs but thats how you get the great colors in boro. just take alittle time to size the torch to what you are planning to make then get the next size up LOL. Cos when you get comfortable with the glass you will want to make something bigger.
I have a thing for bethlehem torches its what I learned on I also have a Beth pm2d but rarly use it it a big torch and no its not for sale but if I did not have a beth I would have a GTT
Old 2011-09-01, 3:51pm

I've had a hot head, mini-cc, wildcat and a Barracuda. I hated the HH, would buy a mini-cc again, not so much the wildcat and definitely I'd get another Barracuda but they stopped making them. I'd loooove to try a Bravo and my dream torch is a Phantom. Oh,. I also have an 8M but never used it.

Old 2011-09-05, 10:48am

I have national 3a blowpipes, mini cc, minor, nortel major W/premix topfire,and a bobcat on the way,have also used a carlisle black widow.
would I buy them again?
national blowpipes,absolutely, I own 3, Great little born torch,very low o2 consumption.
mini CC, yes, works good for what little soft glass I do
Minor, only if the price was real good. It's a decent torch,but I like the mini cc better.
major burner, nope, uses way too much o2 with the big flame.
bobcat, have yet to use it,but I'm sure that I'll love it (it is a get)
Carlisle black widow, If I could afford it I would.
I use tanked o2, but recently got an oxycon to use with the bobcat,and/or minor.
Old 2011-09-05, 10:52am

The torches I've owned:
National surface mix - would not use one again. The flame is too hard to control and
burns soft glass. The whole time I was on it, I thought clear only resulted in smokey and black. LOL

Mini CC - liked it, but wouldn't buy one because mine leaked three times, and the customer service wasn't responsive enough.

Nortel Minor and Mega Minor - love them both, price is right and love Nortel service.
Old 2011-09-05, 6:01pm

I have a Hot Head and a Nortel Minor. I love the Nortel. I would not buy a Hot Head again.
Old 2011-09-06, 1:43am

Minor, great basic torch nice bushy flame, Mini CC vote still out, work with oxycons,... difficult to get bushy flame that 's not too hot. I bought to make large beads but not sure it was the right choice.
Old 2011-09-06, 6:42am

I know posted above but, now that I understand better what you are looking for, I have more to add.

The scorpion is the best recommendation I can make if you are wanting a little more bang for your boro (or large soft glass work!). It uses a cricket inner fire and has an outer fire as well. I work pretty large and have never once found it lacking. If you think you need something hotter, go for the new sidewinder. Just beware, these torches are HOT!

The scorpion is extremely oxygen efficient as it is made for oxycon use. If you are already familiar with GTT, you will have less of a learning curve. An added bonus (for me) with the scorpion is that, with the outer fire on, it throws more radiant heat than either my cricket or lynx ever did. This is making stringer control slightly easier as I have more working area within the flame. The gtt's also pose no issue working reduction dependent glasses as they offer a truly neutral flame even on an oxycon (unlike some of the other torches mentioned herein). If reduction glass isn't in your repertoire then this fact will matter little.

I cannot recommend the scorpion highly enough!

Last edited by Torch&Marver; 2011-09-06 at 6:45am.
Old 2011-09-06, 3:07pm
addicted to dichro

Worked on a hothead for seven years now, full time for five. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

Old 2011-09-06, 3:17pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I loved my Hothead. My lack of patience, and noise were the only reasons I moved to a minor. After watching Holly make beads this weekend on a Hothead, I'd almost ask the friend I gave it to to give it back.

I have a Piranha, and I love it. After Holly's class, and being on a Betta the first day, I can honestly say the Betta, on tanked oxygen, is too hot for me. I'm glad I never purchased the Lynx, that was my dream torch. I could probably get used to it, but I make beads so infrequently, I'm fairly certain I'd not want to take the time.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-09-07, 11:45am
I fart diamonds

I just realized that I didn't include my HHs in my earlier answer. I currently have 3 of them and would never consider getting rid of them (1 that I use & 2 for backup/students). The HH is extremely portable and I love the fact that I can torch on the beach with it. In fact, I just purchased a 5lb propane tank so that I don't have to deal with the crappy 1lb tanks or drag my big tank around.

Old 2011-09-07, 12:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I loved my Hothead. My lack of patience, and noise were the only reasons I moved to a minor. After watching Holly make beads this weekend on a Hothead, I'd almost ask the friend I gave it to to give it back.

I have a Piranha, and I love it. After Holly's class, and being on a Betta the first day, I can honestly say the Betta, on tanked oxygen, is too hot for me. I'm glad I never purchased the Lynx, that was my dream torch. I could probably get used to it, but I make beads so infrequently, I'm fairly certain I'd not want to take the time.
The lynx and other similar triple mix gtts are the most versatile designs available. They can be run very hot to very cool based on how they are adjusted. To suggest that the lynx is too hot is misinformed.
Old 2011-09-07, 12:24pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I suggested it would likely be too hot for me, and since I'm well informed as to how cool I work...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-09-07, 1:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I suggested it would likely be too hot for me, and since I'm well informed as to how cool I work...
No flame intended. I think you missed my point, though. If you know how to adjust it, the Lynx can be run relatively ice cold compared to a lot of seemingly smaller torches. Its huge versatility is why it is so popular.
Old 2011-09-09, 10:03pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Cricket was OK for me for the first 6-8 mos. I don't have lots of patience, and prefer larger beads.

Found an excellent bargain on eBay for a Barracuda, and have a M20 concentrator- LOVE it.

My backup torch is a Mega-Minor and for a small torch, it's OK, but runs way better on tanked oxy than concentrators.

My next torch? No idea, but would like to try the new Bravo, or maybe a GTT Phantom. Not that I'm in a hurry because I really do love my 'cuda!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2011-09-10, 5:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I just realized that I didn't include my HHs in my earlier answer. I currently have 3 of them and would never consider getting rid of them (1 that I use & 2 for backup/students). The HH is extremely portable and I love the fact that I can torch on the beach with it. In fact, I just purchased a 5lb propane tank so that I don't have to deal with the crappy 1lb tanks or drag my big tank around.
The portability factor is nice with a HH, that is true.
Old 2011-09-14, 2:21pm

(To the original poster)

There are almost no "bad torches" on the market. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses.

I think that as an artist grows (both in experience, skill, and talent), their needs change. So, while that torch you started on was fine back then, you might need something different now. That doesn't make that first torch bad, nor should it be viewed as bad if you wouldn't buy another one now. You've changed, and your needs have changed.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-09-15, 9:28am
Butterfly Rancher

Minor -- learned on a it and took a couple of classes later that used them. I like it fine.

MiniCC -- my first torch. I used it with 1/4 PSI and 5 LPM oxycon and wasn't thrilled. Upgraded the oxycon to 10 LPM and liked it better. Later upgraded to 2PSI natural gas and I'm using it again as my primary torch. I don't like it very much for boro but it's great for soft glass.

Betta -- used it briefly before I got a Cricket. The Betta is now sitting on my garage floor. I thought it was comparable to the Cricket but I paid almost 3 times more for the Betta.

Cricket -- loved it. Sold it when I thought I was going to upgrade to a Scorpion. It worked great with 1/4 PSI NG and an oxycon. Liked working both soft glass and boro with it. I'd buy another one but I'm happy enough with my MiniCC now that it has reasonable fuel and oxy and I rarely torch these days.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-09-15, 9:50am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I like different torches for different types of glass. Love my scorpion for boro. Love my cuda for soft glass. Just got a sidewinder and I love that too...... but might part with my scorpion since I don't need 3 large torches.
Started on a minor and it was a great little torch.
Heather - Love to know what you think of the Sidewinder. I tried only its inner fire at the Gathering open torch and was told it's a Bobcat on the inner, which made it too similar to the inner of the Scorpion (Cricket). Is it a lot hotter and wider than a Scorpion with both flames going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
I have a cricket and find the flame too narrow for longer / bigger beads. Is the Bobcat very different from the Cricket? I have an M20 coming from oxydoc and want a bigger torch - but have no idea where to start, lol. Thanks for all the info - though still call me confused
Donna - the Bobcat is very similar to a Cricket, similar flame size (fairly narrow, that's why I upgraded to a Barracuda) and heat if you have enough oxy. On just one 5lpm oxycon, the Cricket wins for it's made to use less oxy. On a 8 lpm oxycon, the Bobcat is hotter. We had both and sold the Cricket. My sister uses the Bobcat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard13i24 View Post
Bethlehem bravo- Just got one in the mail today I like it better than the cuda bigger outer flame and hotter. yes I would buy another and no this ones not for sale.
Are you on tanked oxygen? I would love to know how the Bravo compared to the Cuda on oxycons!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-09-16, 11:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Heather - Love to know what you think of the Sidewinder. I tried only its inner fire at the Gathering open torch and was told it's a Bobcat on the inner, which made it too similar to the inner of the Scorpion (Cricket). Is it a lot hotter and wider than a Scorpion with both flames.
The sidewinder reminds me of a phantom.... Here is a picture of it in action.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2011-09-16, 12:11pm

OMG, why did I read this? The Sidewinder is made for concentrators, too. I thought I was happy with my Scorpion.
Old 2011-09-16, 4:17pm
offically down under

This is very interesting reading. You guys are just so lucky to have affordable priced oxycons. For this reason I have to consider the torch due to the fact that I can not afford to upgrade to a 10 lpm oxy con.

I just switched to a cricket from a minor and it is hotter and I seem to have better stringer control. I guess with the minor, I never found the sweet spot.