Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-17, 12:14pm

Default Brass Frit Golden Bubbles Information and Sharing

I wanted to start a thread for the brass frit to share information and beads. I have sold this before so I wanted to post some information that might be helpful for great results.

Also, I would love to see some of YOUR beads that you have made with it.

This is a short tutorial that I sent out with the frit. I'm not sure everyone that purchased from me before got one. There is also more information that I wanted to add.

Here it is....

Brass Frit
Make sure when applying your frit, you do it well into the bead. In other words, on the first or second layer of glass applied. Otherwise they can come to the surface, pop and leave a big gaping hole. You only need about 15 or so pieces depending on how large your bead is however, you can add more or less and adjust to your liking.

Spread the frit on your marver so that they are separated and not in a pile. Roll the very hot bead over the frit. You might have to do this a couple of times to pick up all that you want. The frit sometimes has to absorb some of the heat from your bead to stick.

As you work your bead, the bubbles will start to "grow". When I make my florals, I don't force "grow" the bubbles. As the florals take some time to create, by the time I am done with the bead the bubbles have formed perfectly just during the process. For bead that are quick, like spacers or small beads, you might have to work a "growing" the bubbles and you can control how large you want them.

IMPORTANT

Do not put the raw frit into the flame. It will spark and spit. Once you have it on your bead, encase it immediately.

Here is what I wanted to add. I have noticed that if the brass is applied to certain glasses, it will turn black or a dark bronze. It almost looks dirty. It must be the added metals that are sometimes used to make the glass. I find that the best results are to sandwich the brass between two layers of clear. Pale aqua will turn it dark so regular clear is best. So, if you are making a bead with a colored center, just coat it with clear before adding the brass.

Soooo.....get out that brass and please show your work here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-18, 9:23am
Otter

Thanks Cynthia,

I love brass I got from you I use it all the time.

here are some pics from me this one came out supper nice.

And this bead came out nice but is showing how it looks when it reacts this is with dark aqua.

Thanks for posting this,

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-02-18, 9:56am

Perfect example of what I was explaining. Thank you John for posting your pics. Your rose bead is beautiful and so are your murrini!!!

Old 2013-02-18, 10:51am
FatCat Mama

John - I really like how the bubbles set off the roses - well done!

I think this is Kelp... was that Effetre?

I need to get out my brass shavings again...now where could they be?

Teri

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2013-02-18, 10:57am

Adorable Teri. Have no idea what glass that is. I am so bad at glass colors and numbers. I am a strictly "grab as I go" lampworker.

Old 2013-02-18, 8:45pm

Has anyone try this with boro?

Old 2013-02-18, 8:56pm

I had someone ask and I have no idea how that would work. I don't have any laying around to try it.

Old 2013-02-19, 9:16am

How small are the shavings that you use. I had a little bottle marked brass shaving given to me in a box of silver supplies and thought maybe I should give it a go because I think those bubbles are cool.

Old 2013-02-19, 10:05am

Mine are about the size of a petite flea LOL! Don't know what to compare them to. They are flat and oblong. I would definitely try what you have.

Old 2013-02-19, 10:34am
honorary bead lady

Here is an older thread about brass frit...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=139952
Old 2013-02-19, 2:49pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I got some brass frit in a big buy from the garage a while back and have been moving it from one side of my table to the other. Now I get it and I can't wait to give it a shot.

Thanks so much for sharing

Dweezil
Old 2013-02-19, 4:39pm

Good luck Dweezil. Post a picture if you can.

Old 2013-02-21, 4:12pm

I want to see beads. Has anyone made anything yet?

I made these with some silver glass. Don't know what color though but I usually don't LOL!

Old 2013-02-21, 11:57pm
Dynamic Duo

I don't have frit, but made 4 beads yesterday where I use brass wire, extremely thin gauge. Will post some pics in a day or so. Had forgotten how nice these bubbles can turn out, with a nice metallic sheen that you don't get with baking soda bubbles.

Old 2013-02-22, 4:14am

I used wire when I made these, they are a couple of years old. I have frit now too, I had forgotten how much fun they are to make!

I like to use a striking silver glass and as you do, I encase in clear before adding the wire. I then add a couple of layers of clear to give enough depth to keep the bubbles in there.

You can't shine if you don't burn
Old 2013-02-22, 7:55am

I know right? They are so different then soda bubbles. I'll come back later to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post
I don't have frit, but made 4 beads yesterday where I use brass wire, extremely thin gauge. Will post some pics in a day or so. Had forgotten how nice these bubbles can turn out, with a nice metallic sheen that you don't get with baking soda bubbles.

Old 2013-02-22, 7:57am

Beautiful Ness, I love the green ones. Yes, I also sandwich them in between clear to keep them golden. As stated above, putting them against certain colors will make them dark and look dirty. Thanks for showing them.

Old 2013-02-22, 5:51pm
jamieincharlotte

I love those bubble beads !

Old 2013-02-24, 6:52pm
Dynamic Duo

here are some made last week - LOTS of pics

I use 28 gauge brass wire, and usually cut a length about 8 inches and hold it with locking tweezers to apply.

These beads all have a dark base, with some sort of twisty stringer applied. Smooth into a barrel/tube. Then I get the bead hot enough so that the wire will stick, but not hot enough to be droopy. Heat a tip of the wire quickly in flame (it will spark)- attach to bead near bead hole, and spin the mandrel to get the wire wrapped onto the bead. I Usually then give it a quick roll on graphite to just firm up the attachments.

And in the application, sometimes sections break, or spark away. And that is OK. I just try to keep that to a minimum.

Then I encase the bead, being careful to just have my encasing rod in the flame and not the bead. Encase, melt in encasing, and then usually a second full layer of encasing.

These then have surface layer decorations of silvered glasses, which means there is even additional time for bubble growth, as these are heated and cooled a few times to get color development.

I love the golden color of bubbles from using brass. And did try one with a blue glass, putting the wire right on the pale blue, and doo see how then the bubbles are more black and silvery.

Old 2013-02-27, 6:51pm
Catnip Pusher

I got my frit and tried it last week - was going to post my miserable beads on Monday but my kitty was sick. He's home and better now, I'm broke but happier!

These are NOT very good beads, but the bubbles came out nice!!!

Aimee
Old 2013-02-27, 8:51pm

Love them they are great.

Old 2013-02-28, 5:44am
Valparaíso - Chile

Thanks Cynthia for sharing. The beads are superb with brass!!!!
Where I can to buy it?
Ana María

@cristallo_perle
Old 2013-02-28, 8:25am

The beads look wonderful. Ana Maria, unfortunately I have run out. I might get more in the future. You can though, use brass wire. It will give a bit of a different effect like a bubble line, but looks great too.

Old 2013-02-28, 8:32am

Hi Cynthia,
I was on a trip, but when I returned my brass frit had arrived! Thank you!
I just experimented with it last night and was happy that I could do it! I just wanted to try it with clear glass and was so happy to get these golden bubbles. I had clear bubbles in a second bead, rather than golden - did I heat that one longer to get the clear? I can't remember!
Thanks for the frit!!
Judy

Old 2013-02-28, 12:50pm
Valparaíso - Chile

Thanks Cynthia!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
The beads look wonderful. Ana Maria, unfortunately I have run out. I might get more in the future. You can though, use brass wire. It will give a bit of a different effect like a bubble line, but looks great too.

@cristallo_perle
Old 2013-02-28, 2:41pm

Judy, did you use different clears? Also, the bigger the bubbles, the more golden and lighter they become. Like blowing up a balloon.

Old 2013-02-28, 3:50pm

Cynthia, I might have used different clears, but I'm not sure. The beads with the clear bubbles is quite a bit bigger than the golden bubbles.

Judy
Old 2013-02-28, 10:16pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Got my package from you today (Thursday). Thanks for such quick service!

Regards, Jack

Old 2013-03-01, 9:00am
Valparaíso - Chile

I tried and it turned brass wire. Also, I grate a little brass wire in a jeweler's file and I got a little dusty brass. Today I'll prove it.
Thank you all for the tips, especially Cynthia!!!!
Ana María

@cristallo_perle
Old 2013-03-02, 11:19am

Default One of my favorites

This is one of my go to designs for necklaces, bracelets and earrings. Lots of happy customers.