Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What do you think of your bead-coring tool?
Jim Moore's Bead Press - love it 84 23.01%
Jim Moore's Bead Press - on the fence 7 1.92%
Jim Moore's Bead Press - not happy with it 2 0.55%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - love it 20 5.48%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - on the fence 9 2.47%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - not happy with it 3 0.82%
Art in the Round's Impress - love it 88 24.11%
Art in the Round's Impress - on the fence 19 5.21%
Art in the Round's Impress - not happy with it 3 0.82%
Old fashioned dapping set and hammer 65 17.81%
Other 65 17.81%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-19, 11:31am

I voted for Jim Moore's bead liner (thank you Donna) it is one of the best investments I have made.

Debbie
Old 2009-02-13, 6:27pm
I'm not Barbie.

does anyone have any photo's of a bracelet made with Jim's new attachment? I have no idea what it is or what the end result is but I'd sure like to see.
Old 2009-02-16, 8:20am
I'm not Barbie.

am wondering too if Jim is going to be selling the attachment that Andrea is talking about in her post for doming the caps????

I have both the Impress and Jim's. I like them both. The Impress because it's lightweight and easily transportable, but Jim's for doing bigger beads.
Old 2009-02-23, 10:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebeadz* View Post
am wondering too if Jim is going to be selling the attachment that Andrea is talking about in her post for doming the caps????

I have both the Impress and Jim's. I like them both. The Impress because it's lightweight and easily transportable, but Jim's for doing bigger beads.
Hi Donna!
Yes he does sell the attachment...... just doesn't have it on his site yet! Just email him about it.

Nicker makes rings and bracelets using the other attachment...... I will ask her to post some photos here for ya!!!!

Take care,
Andrea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-27, 8:35am

I love my retro bead liner but i love the glue in rivets even better. The liner can do more than 1 size which is great but the glue in rivets look the best..

Old 2009-06-15, 5:02pm

I would love to have any of them. Although, it looks like I will be following Karen's lead and learn to do it by hand. I keep depleting the funds, I have been saving for one, on other things. Darn this economy!

Old 2009-06-17, 7:58am
Queen Bee

Stunning beads and awesome information, thank you to everyone. Can someone please post the links for the various tools? I'd love to look at them online and compare.

Thanks!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2009-06-17, 12:38pm

This link is for Jim's tool. I saw it at B&B, didn't know he was going to be there, didn't have enough cash with me or I would have gotten one!

http://toolsforglass.com/store/bead.html

Old 2009-06-17, 1:22pm
Katherine

Thanks so much for the info on Jim Moore's tools. I just ordered one and can not wait to get it. I really appreciate all the help here on LE.

Old 2009-06-25, 7:45pm
Lavender Dawn

Has anyone tried to build a press themselves? My boyfrriend and I just bought a 1/2 ton arbor press (from Harbor Freight for $27) and are trying to think of a way to create the screw in dies (he has access to a machine shop) - I will update you on our progress but I was just wondering if anyone has a custom made solution is working for them? Would love to hear from you. Please contact me directly. Thanks - and GORGEOUS beads ladies!
Old 2009-07-06, 3:11pm
Ezzy

I love Jim Moore's tool. And for the record, the only time I have a problem with it is when I try to core beads with crappy ends.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2009-07-07, 7:25am

thanks for this thread, ive been wanting to get one and likely would have been jim's anyway as im so happy with other tools i have from him and the great service. this just sealed the deal.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2009-07-08, 8:39am

Someone recently asked what I am using, and I thought I would post it here.

I use Dave's Impress tool (and love it). With the Fits-Pandora tubing, be sure to use the 4.37 die Dave made to fit. The standard die that comes with the Impress will work MOST of the time, but now and then will compress the ID of the tubing, which makes the bead no longer fit a Pandora or Biagi. The 4.37mm die has never done that on the hundreds I have lined.

I also use this arbor press from Palmgren (and love it). http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-61051...7067274&sr=8-1 The die it comes with has worked fine for most everything I have tried. For tall beads and wide beads, this works better than the Impress. A lot of times I start the first flare on this tool, and finish up with the Impress.

Then there are the hand daps, which I use now and then-- just because I can, I guess.

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-07-08, 11:01am

Hmm interesting. Seeing as I am on a budget, I am thinking about doing it by hand as well, but if someone can give me a list of the needed tools in order to do this it would be appreciated. I have to look at cost.

Also if coring for Pandora what is the size of mandrel needed and tubing? I get all confused looking at the threads about this....LOL Age ya know.
Old 2009-07-09, 6:23pm
Salt Box Beads

I just purchased everything to core by hand and I did about ten beads a few days ago and I LUV it! Easy Peasy too. Not all that expensive if using Harbor Freight for most of it.

Here is what I used:
1. Dapping set from Harbor Freight.

2. Double hammer from Harbor Freight has a nylon head and a brass head. I used the nylon and loved it. I also bought a rawhide mallet but didn't like that. The heads are removeable and replaceable on the one from Harbor Freight you see on the bench!!

3. Mini cut off saw at Harbor Freight. I didn't want to cut the tubeing by hand or use a tubing cutter...takes too long. The mini saw is FAST!!!! and easy.

4. Steel block from Monsterslayer, Charcoal block from Monsterslayer and the silver tubing of course......

The rest was found items from around the garage etc...a wood cutting board, pieces of sheet metal, a pyrex measuring cup for quenching the silver in, and a heavy piece of bent cardboard. It was what I could scrounge up, flat will do, doesn't have to be bent.

Tweezers for lifting the red hot silver core off of the charcoal to the cup of cold water and taking it out of the cup, and some files for taking the burrs off of the fresh cut silver which are not in the picture.

and a small torch my DH bought years ago. Jewelry torch? It has a very very small flame and attaches to a 1 pound propane bottle like a HH.

Here are some pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-07-09 at 6:29pm.
Old 2009-08-22, 1:34pm
First bead: 2007-04-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
I use Dave's Impress tool (and love it). With the Fits-Pandora tubing, be sure to use the 4.37 die Dave made to fit. The standard die that comes with the Impress will work MOST of the time, but now and then will compress the ID of the tubing, which makes the bead no longer fit a Pandora or Biagi. The 4.37mm die has never done that on the hundreds I have lined.
That's interesting - I would think the dies would be the same???!!!
My sweet mum has offered to get me a coreing tool - and as I have limited space (and the fact she's paying) -I think I'm going with Dave's Impress after reading through this thread - and I will remeber to order an extra 4.37 die

Ann
Old 2009-09-03, 8:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
Someone recently asked what I am using, and I thought I would post it here.

Would this be the "Medium" die he has listed on his site? The one that will flare
1/4" to 3/8" tubing?

Old 2009-09-04, 6:19am

Default Bead Lining

I am looking at different Bead Liners and do not see any details on the Nortel Bead Press - can anyone tell me if they have tried thie Nortel unit and let me know comments - I like that it comes complete with the tools required
Old 2009-09-05, 11:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
I just purchased everything to core by hand and I did about ten beads a few days ago and I LUV it! Easy Peasy too. Not all that expensive if using Harbor Freight for most of it.

Here is what I used:
1. Dapping set from Harbor Freight.

2. Double hammer from Harbor Freight has a nylon head and a brass head. I used the nylon and loved it. I also bought a rawhide mallet but didn't like that. The heads are removeable and replaceable on the one from Harbor Freight you see on the bench!!

3. Mini cut off saw at Harbor Freight. I didn't want to cut the tubeing by hand or use a tubing cutter...takes too long. The mini saw is FAST!!!! and easy.

4. Steel block from Monsterslayer, Charcoal block from Monsterslayer and the silver tubing of course......

The rest was found items from around the garage etc...a wood cutting board, pieces of sheet metal, a pyrex measuring cup for quenching the silver in, and a heavy piece of bent cardboard. It was what I could scrounge up, flat will do, doesn't have to be bent.

Tweezers for lifting the red hot silver core off of the charcoal to the cup of cold water and taking it out of the cup, and some files for taking the burrs off of the fresh cut silver which are not in the picture.

and a small torch my DH bought years ago. Jewelry torch? It has a very very small flame and attaches to a 1 pound propane bottle like a HH.

Here are some pics:
Wow 2Toucans thanks for the info and pics. Sorry I forgot I even asked or posted here.....memory is not as good as it used to be.

THANKS!!
Old 2009-09-05, 5:55pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibee View Post
I am looking at different Bead Liners and do not see any details on the Nortel Bead Press - can anyone tell me if they have tried thie Nortel unit and let me know comments - I like that it comes complete with the tools required
The Nortel bead press is pretty much the Jim Moore Bead Liner so whatever you read re. the Jim Moore tool will likely apply to the Nortel press (can't vouch for quality of the Nortel press myself)

IMHO....buy the original. Jim's a stand-up guy and you'd be supporting your small time toolmaker (yes, I do have one of Jim's bead liners).

Cheers,

-Yee

Old 2009-09-06, 7:56am

Does anyone have the Nortel Bead Press? I like that it seems self contained. The accessories have a place within easy reach for use. It also comes with the accessories to core from 1/8" to 1/2".

I have been making beads with double dipped 3/32" Which is pretty close to the 1/8" is it going to work? I also plan on using bead caps. They didn't use any in the demos. Does anyone have any experience with bead caps and the Nortel bead liner?

Old 2009-10-15, 4:33pm

2Toucans ~ Is it possible you show pics of how you use each tool. Sort of like a mini tut on your home made coring stuff?
Old 2009-11-01, 7:35am
Wahwahbabypants

Nortel is coming to the Ottawa bead show next weekend. I will try to email Jean at Nortel and ask her to bring it to demo. I have seen it in person but didn't see it in action so I couldn't say. I'll let you know if I see it.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-11-06, 4:25am
Tassie Devil

I find the retro bead liner really hurts my hands, and is hard to use on smaller beads, so I wish I had done some research before buying, and got one of the others! Puts me off doing pandora beads.

Today, right now, is a gift - that's why they call it the present!

Old 2010-01-22, 7:43am
Formerly FishBulb

What a helpful thread! Thank you everybody for posting. I've been looking at getting into this and this is very useful information.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-01-22, 8:14pm

I have the nortel and LOVE it!. I would like to know how to do the caps. Is there a demo/tute??
Old 2010-01-23, 4:04am

Ronnie Renee has a bead capping tutorial in her etsy shop,
http://www.etsy.com/shop/RonnieRenee

there may be others.
oh and I haven't personally tried it

Old 2010-01-24, 10:39pm
Mad about Glass

I love my Retro tools bead liner. I have never cracked or chipped a bead. It is so easy compared to the other tool I tried to use. It is a bit hard to turn for a weakling like me so I use a wrench as recommended by Jerry.

[url]

Old 2010-01-30, 7:18am

Theses are the first beads that i did that did not brake in two,
i was that impressed i cored them, it took me two minutes to
do all of them and cost about penny each,

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1368/beadsi.jpg
i bought something like theses and super glued them in,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/400-5mm-EYELET...item414b1ce91c
Old 2010-02-05, 2:50pm

Thanks for all the information that has been shared here.