Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-19, 11:57pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Default Dremel Cordless Drills

I'm looking for a dremel cordless drill. There are so many to choose from. I want to drill through some glass pieces with my diamond bits and am not sure how many volts I need to do that. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Patsy

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-20, 12:45am
one day at a time

Hi!

I clean my beads with the Dremel MiniMite with the speed on low but even then I have to be careful not to chip the holes. The speed on high is scary! LOL! I never use it on high for the obvious reason so I wonder if it will drill glass. I'm cleaning a mess of beads tomorrow so after I'm done with that, I will try the high speed to drill through a piece of 3mm sheet glass. I will get back with you on that tomorrow afernoon/evening. I just left myself a note on the computer so I won't forget!
Old 2011-05-20, 1:26am
Alaska Boro

Use the cordless Dremel Stylus for enlarging 3/16 inch mandrel holes to fit 5 mm SS tube. Like it because it is sort of gutless which IMO is a nice safety feature as it will not rip a bead out of your fingers. Plus it has a nice right angle grip with adjustable speeds.
Old 2011-05-20, 3:40am
Knob Creek Glass

Ditto on the Stylus. Much easier to use.
Old 2011-05-20, 5:05am
Growing Edge Glass

I've used the dremel minimite as well.....setting on low with a diamond bit works wonderfully. Just make sure to drill your glass with water to cool/lubricate....I'm sure you know that, but I had to say it anyway...can't help myself...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-05-20, 11:40am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

"gutless" - I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Use the cordless Dremel Stylus for enlarging 3/16 inch mandrel holes to fit 5 mm SS tube. Like it because it is sort of gutless which IMO is a nice safety feature as it will not rip a bead out of your fingers. Plus it has a nice right angle grip with adjustable speeds.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-05-20, 5:33pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks for your info. I'm not drilling through beads, sheet glass for stained glass. Thanks for the info on the water. I'm an old stained glass girl from about 30 years back and have always used water to grind glass with my grinders. If you don't use water, you can see sparks and it will break your glass. Ask me how I know lol. Thanks for the reminder.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2011-05-21, 12:40am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

This Stylus works great!

Jack

Old 2011-05-21, 11:10am

I bought my wife a stylus, but she can't stand the sound it makes. IMO, it's not bad and it's quite handy on my workbench.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-05-21, 11:23am
one day at a time

The Dremel MiniMite works good and I used the lower setting.
Old 2011-05-21, 12:18pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
Thanks for your info. I'm not drilling through beads, sheet glass for stained glass. Thanks for the info on the water. I'm an old stained glass girl from about 30 years back and have always used water to grind glass with my grinders. If you don't use water, you can see sparks and it will break your glass. Ask me how I know lol. Thanks for the reminder.

Patsy
Well I figured you knew about the water...but had to mention it anyway.
I drill thru flat glass, beach glass and my glass cabochons with the minimite and either just a diamond bit or diamond core bit...works great.
I knew you were asking about drilling thru sheet or some thickness of solid glass, not the beads.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-05-22, 9:52am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks all for your help. I decided to go with the Dremel Stylus. I love how light it is and does a great job with the diamond bit inserted in water. It does make a screeching sound, but it doesn't bother me.

Patsy

Ebay: