No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-12, 1:08am
Melody of Glass

Question Non-round murrini?

Hi all,

I would like to make some heart murrini but I would like them to have a heart-shaped outline rather than encasing before pulling. Essentially, I would like the slices to be heart-shaped rather than round. I can get to the point where I have a heart-shaped gather but I can't figure out how to pull it. It seems to me that if I get it hot enough to pull, it will distort itself to round and lose the heart shape. Any tips?

Thanks!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-12, 5:55am

Heat control is vital to pulling this shape. Put end caps of clear glass on each end, making sure that the clear follows the contour of the heart. Make each at least 1/3 the mass of the heart. Bring the ends to a point and attach a punti. Heat the ends and the center until it gets soft (not too hot, just flexible) and then gently pull. You should be able to keep the heart shape. With a shape like this you will probably be better to cut them with a saw rather than nippers, especially if they are very big.

Robert
Old 2013-03-12, 2:13pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I'm curious what purpose non-encased non-round murrini would be used for. Why not just encase with clear or the color of the base bead you plan on putting the murrini on/in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-12, 2:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Hi all,

I would like to make some heart murrini but I would like them to have a heart-shaped outline rather than encasing before pulling. Essentially, I would like the slices to be heart-shaped rather than round. I can get to the point where I have a heart-shaped gather but I can't figure out how to pull it. It seems to me that if I get it hot enough to pull, it will distort itself to round and lose the heart shape. Any tips?

Thanks!
you could make two punties that are larger than the actual cane. If you apply that to the ends it will pull it all out. I can try and do it tonight and show you pics

Old 2013-03-12, 2:52pm

Pull on the cool side don't get to drippy
steve

Old 2013-03-12, 4:27pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks guys! I will give some of these a try. I did think about ordering the large punties from Noodlesaurus. That might help but I'm glad to hear that I can do it with the usual method I use - clear caps and punty to pull.

Lyssa, I don't like the way clear looks around a murrini when it's applied to a bead. You can see the clear outline against the glass. That's what I'm trying to avoid. And it takes way longer to encase the gather too but primarily it's the look I don't like.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-16, 3:13pm
Melody of Glass

Thank you everyone! I pulled a heart-shaped murrini cane today and it worked like a charm. Super easy to cut with wheeled nippers too. I used the optic mold to shape the red glass for the heart and then I used it to shape the caps on both ends before adding the punties. Worked perfectly.

Thanks again for your generosity! LE'ers are great

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-31, 6:36am
Melody of Glass

Pic of my heart-shaped one.
Attached Images

Coming soon...

Old 2013-04-01, 12:29am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Ooh, nice! I just picked up some paper stamps to convert into optic molds. Can't wait to try them.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-04-01, 3:00am
Melody of Glass

Thanks!

I tried one of those, Lyssa. Epic fail. I think it may still be somewhere in my studio in a bucket of water with a giant gob of glass still stuck in it. Hope you have better luck!

Coming soon...