TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2009-09-22, 7:11am
Dangerous Woman

I tried the red and gold thing too. I encased the red in clear then added the brass - I'm using very thin wire - but I think it still looks, actually kinda grey. Maybe I cooked it too much to get bubbles, maybe my encasing (that need improvement) wasn't thick enough and the red bleed through. But I'm thinking that would be the way to go.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-09-23, 8:52am

Thanks for sharing Dawn. I got some brass frit and took samples to last nights Bead Cluster meeting along with your instructions. Everyone will bring a bead they tried it on to next months meeting and I'll get some pics! We all thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-24, 5:09am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
Well, I have my beads with brass frit (bouth from Mike's) also cracking.
I did encase in Precision Diamond Clear, if that makes any difference ...

Judith I made a few encased with diamond clear 2 days ago (Pandora type) and they did not crack. I'll post pictures when I get my camera out. I tend to use my garbage clear because of all the bubbles, but the diamond clear sure does sparkle .

I did also use the brass mesh that I got from our local group meeting this past Saturday. It works great but IMHO takes a little more heat to get the bubbles to form. I just cut a really skinny piece of brass and wound it around the bead. These beads did not crack.

I tried the red glass but must of used the wrong red. I'll try again later.

Dawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-24, 5:12am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Echoes View Post
Thanks for sharing Dawn. I got some brass frit and took samples to last nights Bead Cluster meeting along with your instructions. Everyone will bring a bead they tried it on to next months meeting and I'll get some pics! We all thank you.
Thanks Johanna Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Dawn

Old 2009-09-24, 5:19am
Cherine Perrin Glass

I got my brass frit a few days ago and my first attempt was not to successful. My fault though, I used too much and heated too much. Will keep trying today though.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-10-02, 3:13pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Just thought I'd pop in with a question for those who have had beads crack - what are you annealing at? If you are annealing at a lower temperature because you are also using silver glass in the bead or are making silver glass beads in the same sitting, that could also be a factor. Just something to consider. I haven't tried this yet, but I know I pretty much just use my lower temp longer annealing time schedule for almost everything anymore because I use silver glass so often, so that's what made me think of this.

Dawn - could you post your annealing schedule?
Old 2009-10-02, 5:18pm
Your Royal Fritness

Hi MJ!

Happy to see you posting I anneal at 960 with the standard ramp down. I gave this a good work out last week just to test out using different clears and had no problems with cracking at all. I really love the diamond clear with brass frit because it just adds that extra sparkle.

Side note I had pure copper chain that I bought at Micheals last week and gave it a try in a bead. It turned out pretty cool.

What do you anneal your silver glass at. I'm at 960 for that too. I have not noticed a difference but if they come out even sweeter with a lower temp I will give it a try.

Hugs, Dawn

Old 2009-10-04, 7:41am
Absolutely loving it!!!!!

Default Brass Frit

I love this technique and thank you for sharing the info. I have a question, since Mike's Brass for Glass can't ship to Canada does anyone know where I can get some here.
Thank you

Merianne
Old 2009-10-04, 9:03am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
I love this technique and thank you for sharing the info. I have a question, since Mike's Brass for Glass can't ship to Canada does anyone know where I can get some here.
Thank you
Hi Louise,

Mike and Deb can and will ship to Canada Just send them an email asking for the brass frit. I know they just sent a bunch over to Germany. They have to charge for shipping when it goes out of the country so they need to invoice you.

Dawn

Old 2009-10-04, 9:29am
Absolutely loving it!!!!!

Default Thanks

Thank you Dawn, I was on their site and it said they couldn't and I was so disappointed, but now I am going back to check it out.
Thanks again

Merianne
Old 2009-10-04, 9:35am
Your Royal Fritness

Glad I could hep

Old 2009-10-05, 12:34pm
Your Royal Fritness

Here are my large hole test beads using Diamond Clear to encase the brass frit. I did not experience any cracking. Sorry about the reflections I did not use my photo tent, my bad...

Dawn
Attached Images

Old 2009-10-08, 5:53pm
Dangerous Woman

Your red and gold one looks pretty good!

Old 2009-10-09, 12:12pm
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks Nancy

Old 2009-10-09, 12:59pm
Dangerous Woman

Actually they all look good! But since we had been talking about that color combination I thought I'd mention it. I tried encasing a red base, then adding brass then more clear. That bead didn't look very good and ended up cracking.

Old 2009-10-09, 9:37pm

I love this use for the scrap that come out of making something else!! It's a bonus.

Do you have a picture of the bead with the copper chain posted? I'd love to see that.

Anything I make with metals, fusing or beads, comes out yucky. But I'm stubborn!! I'll 'make it work' somehow!
Old 2009-10-10, 2:29am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
I love this use for the scrap that come out of making something else!! It's a bonus.

Do you have a picture of the bead with the copper chain posted? I'd love to see that.

Anything I make with metals, fusing or beads, comes out yucky. But I'm stubborn!! I'll 'make it work' somehow!
Good Morning,

Here is the copper chain bead. In order to get the chain started I had to really heat up the spot where I started the chain and plunge the chain into that spot. Then I just wrapped it around the bead and pressed it in with my marver. I did not put the chain directly into the flame, then I encased it in clear. I can't wait to play with this idea next week. I think it has possibilities

Dawn
Attached Images

Old 2009-10-10, 8:21am
Dangerous Woman

Oh Dawn!! That is too cool!!

Old 2009-10-10, 3:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
Good Morning,

Here is the copper chain bead. In order to get the chain started I had to really heat up the spot where I started the chain and plunge the chain into that spot. Then I just wrapped it around the bead and pressed it in with my marver. I did not put the chain directly into the flame, then I encased it in clear. I can't wait to play with this idea next week. I think it has possibilities

Dawn
Oooooh! That's wicked. I love it. Makes me want to keep practicing.
Old 2009-10-15, 9:51am

Cattwalk has brass available and they do ship to Canada. I should also mention that Cattwalk has many unique presses, as well as the tried and true.
Old 2009-10-15, 10:10am

I just bought some brass from Mike after seeing this thread. Can't wait to give this a try!

Old 2009-12-23, 3:25pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Should I be able to work with brass mesh or shavings on a Hothead torch? Any advice?
Old 2009-12-24, 6:38am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Should I be able to work with brass mesh or shavings on a Hothead torch? Any advice?
The only difficult part of this tutorial is encasing in clear so if you have no problems encasing with a HH then you should good to go.

I've also punched out shapes in brass and encased them and they look really cool. I need to take a few pictures after the holiday to show everyone.

Merry Christmas!

Old 2009-12-24, 7:16am
Hot Glass Neophyte

To encase I usually pull a clear stringer and wrap the bead. Should that be okay to cover the mesh strip or pieces?

Also, can you pick up frit-sized pieces of the brass with a hot stringer and apply them where you like or does it bubble in the stringer to quickly that way?
Old 2009-12-24, 10:11am
Your Royal Fritness

If you encase with stringer I would do 2 or 3 encasements. You want a thick encasement because the bubbles need room to form and rise.

I think it would be fine picking up the frit with a small grape size glob of clear and then placing them where you want them. Just picking them up with the clear will not make the bubbles form.

Old 2009-12-24, 2:57pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thanks so much. I look forward to giving it a try! I have brass mesh screen that I plan to snip into pieces or in wire lengths to wrap.

Does the brass wire get soft right away when it is laid against the hot bead? Would wire pieces be better or can I spiral wrap the bead with a brass wire before I encase?
Old 2009-12-30, 11:05pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

I too just bought some brass frit from Mike after reading this thread. I'm also going to go through my copper finding/chain to see what else I could incorporate into my beads. thanks for the great ideas!! L.E. artists rock!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2009-12-31, 8:33am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Thanks so much. I look forward to giving it a try! I have brass mesh screen that I plan to snip into pieces or in wire lengths to wrap.

Does the brass wire get soft right away when it is laid against the hot bead? Would wire pieces be better or can I spiral wrap the bead with a brass wire before I encase?
The brass does not get soft when it hits the glass. How stiff it is before you put it on is how it feels going on. You have to be careful not to hit the flame with the brass or it will spark and burn off. I bought a thin brass sheet from Hobby Lobby (I have to look up the gauge) and did punch outs and it worked great. I also cut thin strips of brass from it and wrapped it around a 1/16th mandrel creating spirals and then layed that spiral down on the glass and encased it. I need to take pictures of my test bead because it does look cool.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Old 2009-12-31, 9:02am
Forever P~P~P :0)

Wow Dawn..... You have just opened up a world of possibilities I didn't know existed. I wish we had a hobby lobby here..... thanks

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-01-01, 12:39am

just wanted to say, what a sweetie Mike is for sending this to Europe.. So cute and sweet.
And you Dawn, to let us all in to the secret(s)
thank you!!!