LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-09, 6:57pm

I have been adding a new color for the ones that I want to be batch dated, and then putting the date in the color. Like

Aether 12-4-09 as the color instead of just Aether
Old 2011-01-09, 7:22pm
Unmedicated since '62

good idea - i was thinking of put a batch field in but that might be easier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-01-09, 8:51pm

No I think a batch field would be better as it could get very cumbersome to add the date to each lot of glass as a name. I also add the vendor to my labels ... lol (just in case)

Also I'd like the export to excel option.

Old 2011-01-09, 8:52pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I have been adding a new color for the ones that I want to be batch dated, and then putting the date in the color. Like

Aether 12-4-09 as the color instead of just Aether
I go through an awful lot of some of the silver glasses. I don't even want to know how many times a year I order from DH, and there are certain colors that I order pretty much every time. I think it would start to really clutter up things if I created a new item each time. Ack!

Old 2011-01-09, 10:12pm
Unmedicated since '62

ok, i'll look at it - it still presents problems though, cos a different batch is just like a whole new colour anyway

Old 2011-01-09, 10:57pm
maybe tomorrow

I don't think you need to make more work for yourself. We'll all gladly work around whatever you do.

Old 2011-01-09, 11:05pm
Unmedicated since '62

and we discussed this earlier - apart from special silver glass, when you get new glass do you religiously separate it from the last batch? i guess you might if you labelled it right i guess

maybe i'm just not anal enough

Old 2011-01-09, 11:37pm
maybe tomorrow

I don't keep different batches separated, but I have them labeled so that if it turns out there's a batch that reacts differently from the norm, I can pull it aside if I want to.

Old 2011-01-10, 10:47am

What about using the comment field for that?
Old 2011-01-10, 12:05pm
Unmedicated since '62

yep, you could put a comment saying that batch date xx/xx/xxxx is more silver or more shocky etc - that might be the best way, otherwise you're going to get lots of different records for the same glass and that breaks the golden rule of database - DONT DUPLICATE!

Old 2011-01-10, 12:23pm

Since there is a spot for Torch Notes and a spot for Comments, I think there is a lot of room for special handling. Use the Comments for short things like a date or a source, and then use the Torch Notes for permanent comments that you want to keep in there. You can change the comment to the new batch date each time you want to print labels.

The other option is to find the color in the spreadsheet before you do your merge and add a column for batch date and fill it in directly in the spreasheet.
Old 2011-01-10, 12:28pm
Unmedicated since '62

yes, i tried to put lots of field where you could put whatever you like so that will work

there is a facility to delete ones you dont like in the new version so that lets you create temporary items too

Old 2011-01-10, 12:29pm
maybe tomorrow

Good idea! I know I just need to play with it more to find the easiest way for me. Sounds like there are lots of ways to go! Thanks!

Old 2011-01-11, 5:32pm

Deb,
Email those tables to me when you have a chance... I am looking into a possibility for us Mac users...

Smiles,
Darlene

E-Bay:

Old 2011-01-11, 5:55pm
Can't you see I'm busy???

OK - say you buy a batch of something, and put a batch date in the Comments field. Then six weeks later, you get more. Now what? Add another date in the comments field?

I think if you truly want to keep track of batches there is only one (or maybe two) ways to do it - make each batch a new glass as has been suggested, or ( maybe lots of work for our noble Deb) add a batch field that is part of the key. This is a tough one to solve.

Deb, what seems to work best for you? All options can work, just each in a different way.

Hope I'm adding light, not heat!

Whatever you decide, we love your StashMaster!

Pat
Old 2011-01-11, 9:26pm
Unmedicated since '62

just add a comment to the comment field then when you print the labels identify that batch somehow (b1, b2, b3) etc

so the comment would read

b1 - new batch, purchased 12/01/11 darker colour
b2 - new batch, purchased 16/04/11 has streaks and is shocky

etc

so when you pick up a rod and it has

blue
b2

you know what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPuppy View Post
OK - say you buy a batch of something, and put a batch date in the Comments field. Then six weeks later, you get more. Now what? Add another date in the comments field?

I think if you truly want to keep track of batches there is only one (or maybe two) ways to do it - make each batch a new glass as has been suggested, or ( maybe lots of work for our noble Deb) add a batch field that is part of the key. This is a tough one to solve.

Deb, what seems to work best for you? All options can work, just each in a different way.

Hope I'm adding light, not heat!

Whatever you decide, we love your StashMaster!

Pat

Old 2011-01-12, 4:17am

Oh oops - so the batch comment is only for label printing - perfect, Deb! My mistake was thinking that the comment became part of the permanent record.

Looks like StashMaster will work perfectly for my needs!
Old 2011-01-12, 4:22am

Oh dear - stated that wrong - the comment is not just for the label, there are actually Comments fields for both the record and the batch. Even better!

Think I'll shut up now....
Old 2011-01-12, 7:06am
The Andrea Half

I have another thought, as I use this wonderful database --the one thing I am frustrated with is having to choose the glass according to color name. I don't think in names so much as in numbers, because names vary so much! So I poick the clolor, scroll back up to check the number ...

However, I can fix that by fiddling with it when I can actually *get* to my university office and use a Windows machine. Then I can change the form to let me pick by number rather than name, and have it autofill the name rather than the number. Right now I am not venturing out on the slick ice, period. Okay, I have to refill a prescription, but other than that am not going anywhere

Old 2011-01-12, 10:02am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Since a new order of the same color that is different is a new color essentially, why not just create a new color with that batch name or date in the name? "Glory Hole White 1.2.3" and "Glory Hole White 2.3.4". You then know it is/was supposed to be "Glory Hole White" but was slightly different in shade and the date tells you which batch it is.

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-01-12 at 10:06am.
Old 2011-01-12, 2:11pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
I have another thought, as I use this wonderful database --the one thing I am frustrated with is having to choose the glass according to color name. I don't think in names so much as in numbers, because names vary so much! So I poick the clolor, scroll back up to check the number ...

However, I can fix that by fiddling with it when I can actually *get* to my university office and use a Windows machine. Then I can change the form to let me pick by number rather than name, and have it autofill the name rather than the number. Right now I am not venturing out on the slick ice, period. Okay, I have to refill a prescription, but other than that am not going anywhere
are you good with Access and macros and VB etc? if so, its easy to change - you just have to go into the after update event procedure for the second combo box and make it select by code instead of colour

if this all sounds like gobbldygook then dont do it

Old 2011-01-12, 2:13pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPuppy View Post
Oh dear - stated that wrong - the comment is not just for the label, there are actually Comments fields for both the record and the batch. Even better!

Think I'll shut up now....
there is only one comment field - you can put anything you like it that field

Old 2011-01-12, 3:16pm
The Andrea Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
are you good with Access and macros and VB etc? if so, its easy to change - you just have to go into the after update event procedure for the second combo box and make it select by code instead of colour

if this all sounds like gobbldygook then dont do it

I'm just good enough to screw it up royally, which is why I will play with a copy. Of course. I almost didn't make it back into my driveway after having to go out for a prescription, so it'll be quite a while before I can get to a Windows machine that has Access on it.

Old 2011-01-12, 3:26pm
Unmedicated since '62

we only learn by screwing up

Old 2011-01-13, 11:07am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Well then, I'm a freeekin genious!
Old 2011-01-13, 1:07pm
Unmedicated since '62

as are we all

Old 2011-01-13, 8:51pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
we only learn by screwing up
Hey, I resemble that remark...lol

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2011-01-16, 4:20pm
I <3 My Attitude Problem

Deb, I can't tell you how thrilled I am and how much I appreciate all your hard work!

Sorry to be late to the game and all, and I've read through the comments but still I"m unclear; has anyone figured out how to run this on a mac at all? I wanna use the database!!!

Find me on

Old 2011-01-16, 4:27pm
Unmedicated since '62

you can apparently run it on a mac if you run parallels - its soooo not my field, sorry

Old 2011-01-16, 4:57pm
I <3 My Attitude Problem

That's okay, Deb- I think I actually have a copy of parallels laying around!

Find me on