Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-05-02, 6:51am

Thank you so much for this tutorial. One more question...how do I get the petals longer & pointier? Mine seem to have flat ends.

Thanks
Chris
Old 2011-05-02, 7:16am
Hobby Junkie

Chris - This is from post #75

"If your petals are looking a little square, it means that your clear didn't quite cover the dot completely. When you do your clear wraps, make sure that the clear reaches over the whole dot. If, when you are melting down your wrap, you notice that the top of your dot is not rounding out, you can add a bit more clear in the area you need and then melt down again. I usually keep a thick stringer of my clear handy to fix this problem if I kind of missed the tip of my dots - it melts down faster . This should fix your problem. The feathering at the top of the square petals is caused by the heat - as the petal tip is not protected by the clear. Also, the way I get my tips to point is to heat and hold the mandrel in the other direction up and down, once most of the terminal ends (at the base of the flower) are pretty much where I want them. You can also crease the dots with a tool before you apply your clear to get a pretty and defined crease and point in the petals too."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-02, 8:08am
GabysGlassWorks

Wow! Great job, Chris!! I have only made two of these beads and had so much fun making them even though they did not turn out at all. I could not get me clear hot enough to flow without burning it (I'm using a HH). Joan advised I get the clear from DH, I think it's called Aether, because it melts easier. I just put in a huge glass order and before I know it I reached my budget max for the month...and I didn't order any Aether!!! Aaagh!! So I"ll have to waite with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimi115 View Post
OMG! OMG! OMG! I think I understand now!!!!!! I added what I thought would look like leaves on the bottom but that kinda ruined it. Pic is bad too.

Old 2011-05-02, 10:10am

Duh! Thanks Cori. Guess I should have looked through the posts. LOL
Old 2011-05-02, 4:24pm

Tried it again today and it wasn't a good bead day. I need to buy some glass. What can you guys suggest for one of these beads but with pinks (and not too expensive)? (Obviously you can tell I'm a Newbie!)

Thanks
Chris
Old 2011-05-14, 10:27am

I hope someone is still subscribed to this thread and can help me. I'm getting better on the petal part but my bead stays in a donut shape. I can't get it to round out. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Chris S.
Old 2011-05-14, 12:38pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Hi Chris! Sorry - I haven't been back to this thread in awhile. When you are doing your melts, you really need to hold the mandrel straight up and down while heating the bead up to get the glass hot enough to flow. Once it starts to glow - remove it from the heat while still holding the mandrel straight up and down - hold it this way (rotating the mandrel back and forth during this process) until the glass stops moving. Then hold the mandrel normally and return to the flame. Gently square up the end you just stretched and repeat this same process over and over and over again until the bead is as long as you wish it to be. After you have gotten it to lengthen out, you can go back and add clear encasement to the other side to make it round and pretty. As far as pinks go - my favorites are CIM Desert Rose, CIM Rose Quartz and Effetre Dark Pink - there are many, many others tho. Rubino over white also makes a pretty fushia pink too.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-05-15, 7:23am

Thanks! Did a better one yesterday! BTW do you use 9 inch mandrels or 12 inch? Also I really want to do one as a BHB. Do you think it would work?

Chris S.
Old 2011-05-15, 4:09pm

Thank you so much, Joan for sharing this so generously. I can't wait to try!

You can't shine if you don't burn
Old 2011-05-15, 4:58pm
thecoralcat

Thank You!!

Chris - I use both sizes of mandrels, but I don't make any BHB's as I normally work on the 1/16th's. I know that the BHB's are tricky though. Hopefully, someone who does make them can answer you.

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2011-05-20, 4:31pm
Dynamic Duo

Promised would show some here- about a month ago made a lot of these (about 40 or so), learning this tutorial, but not many photographed yet.

So here is Marigold - still a bit doughnut shaped, and some petals squared off at top where not covered sufficiently with clear.

Old 2011-05-20, 4:35pm
Dynamic Duo

So thought about trying some DH glass, one of the reduction ones. Came out more oval than doughnut, which I like. Some nice metallic dots on the bottom end, but too much creep or leakage at the top of darkness. (may have been some intense black in the core)

Very blue-green agave colors.

MAGUEY

Old 2011-05-21, 4:49am
thecoralcat

Hi Michael and Brad!!! Great Job!! I like to use the silver glasses in these. My favorite is Echo as it both strikes and reduces during the process.. I like the very earthy artifact look of your reduction colors! The shape is really cool too! They are so much fun to make!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2011-05-23, 6:43am
birdergirl ~o~

Editing this page to put in new link to the pdf Flower Implosion Illustrated
(same as link in Joan's first post)
I have been working with Joan to produce a {{free}} visual guide to the Implosion/Petal beads.
Here is the link:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show...=1681383&cat=0

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2011-05-29 at 5:20pm. Reason: new link
Old 2011-05-23, 10:45am

Cadia and Joan this is fantastic.
Old 2011-05-23, 10:51am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
I have been working with Joan to produce a {{free}} visual guide to the Implosion/Petal beads. I'd like peeps to take a look at it and see if it is useful, this is just "Part One" and and also an experiment using this free download site. Part Two the final will be ready soon if this seems helpful.
Thanks for checking it out please either pm or post feedback.
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/implosion-flower-part-one-pdf
VERY nice!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-05-23, 11:29am

So far so good!!!! Thanks!!!! Can't wait fir the second part!

Chris S.
Old 2011-05-23, 1:08pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Thank you! And yes, please
All the work is much appreciated

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-05-23, 2:30pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
I have been working with Joan to produce a {{free}} visual guide to the Implosion/Petal beads. I'd like peeps to take a look at it and see if it is useful, this is just "Part One" and and also an experiment using this free download site. Part Two the final will be ready soon if this seems helpful.
Thanks for checking it out please either pm or post feedback.
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/implosion-flower-part-one-pdf
That looks great so far! Excited for the rest of it! Thanks for doing this together.

Old 2011-05-23, 2:43pm
birdergirl ~o~

I'm editing this post to put in the new pdf site that allows bigger docs. so now there is just one download to do!
( same link as Joan's now in post #1)
New link:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show...=1681383&cat=0

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Last edited by cadia; 2011-05-29 at 5:20pm. Reason: new link
Old 2011-05-23, 2:57pm
novembersfyre everywhere

This is awesome! It also is the way I envisioned it. This makes it very clear though.

Old 2011-05-25, 12:07pm
Naysayer

Thank you so much! I never have tipped the mandrel..can't wait to try again, out of propane arg
Old 2011-05-27, 9:15am
GabysGlassWorks

Awesome! Thank you!!

Old 2011-05-29, 4:58am
thecoralcat

Sally's Fabulous Visual Reference Addendum to the instructions for these beads is now complete and posted to the web. The link can be found in my first post in this thread for those who are more visually inclined....

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2011-05-29, 6:52am

Thank you Joan and Sally - I believe that I can make these flowers... if I can find my torch, that is.lol... it is very generous of both of you to make this tutorial and visual aids available. I have always admired these beads.

Sals
Old 2011-05-29, 7:10am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
Sally's Fabulous Visual Reference Addendum to the instructions for these beads is now complete and posted to the web. The link can be found in my first post in this thread for those who are more visually inclined....
That link requires a sign-in. Was that intended?

Old 2011-05-29, 8:23am
thecoralcat

Hi Lisa! Yes, it is a free site - I believe that Sally used that site as they hosted the visual tutorial for no charge.

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2011-05-29, 10:04am

Thank you for the tutorial, it made the process very clear!

Nikki
Old 2011-05-29, 10:14am
birdergirl ~o~

Sorry about the sign in but it was the only site I found that would host the file for freeeeee!
Please pm me if you have problems and I can email the file to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
That link requires a sign-in. Was that intended?

Old 2011-05-29, 4:19pm

Default Regarding the visual reference addendum

Regarding the visual reference addendum in the first post. I registered and signed in, then got a warning that I was trying to access a file that wasn't shared. Are the file settings set to public access, or am I the only one that can't access it?
Darrell in Ontario