Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-03-26, 6:25pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Im glad if this will help anyone, please share your results too!
Old 2011-03-28, 7:08pm

i tried my hand at the feather technique too, and then i used it to make palm tree leaves, which didnt turn out quite as nicely as i thought but it was my first time at doing it,
heres the feather bead i made first try, really love this twistie feather, thanks so much for sharing it
junie
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-28, 8:37pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Oh Junie, that is gorgeous feather! Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 2011-04-04, 12:16am
Resident hippie

Junie that is wonderful!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-05, 12:08pm

I am a newbie so please be understanding. Is this feather one twistie or more then one next to each other? Someone asked me to make a bead with a feather and I tried it but I guess I just don't get the concept. Are you raking from the top of the feather down or bottom up?

Thanks
Chris
PS Does the twistie need to have clear in it?
Old 2011-04-05, 12:23pm
Loving learning

Chris, I'm new too and haven't tried this, but I'm going to do it soon.
Did you see the link to click in her 1st post? That takes you to where she's written a tutorial. There are no pictures, but the instructions are very good (at least I hope I'm reading them right, LOL).
Old 2011-04-05, 12:32pm

That's what I'm going by and that's why I have the questions. I just tried it and it didn't come out good.
Old 2011-04-05, 12:44pm
Loving learning

Ah, sorry. Good luck with the next try. I keep telling myself to keep going, the practice will pay off, but I sure would be thrilled to luck into some perfect beads!
Old 2011-04-05, 1:07pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Chris, once you have the twistie down and melted on your bead, I usually rake carefully just from the very surface, as not to misplace too much glass. Start from the top of the feather, leave about one third of it alone, and start at two thirds, and rake down. If you are new to raking, this might take a little practise. Try to keep the base bead cool, but the surface of the feather hot when you rake.
And good luck, let me know if this helped at all.
Old 2011-04-05, 1:08pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Oh, and to remind, leave some room under the feather, since you will be raking down and form the stem for the feather, it is really easy to stretch out your feathers, and run out of room!
Old 2011-04-05, 1:33pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Dont give up, it is lots of times a combination of things. Some things that will affect your feathers are: your base color, what colors you use in your twistie, the torch setup you have, and how much heat is applied on the feather. I like to add some reactive colors to my twistie, there are some recommendations earlier for twisties and also for the base.
Old 2011-04-05, 6:41pm

OK this is what I came up with this afternoon. It fits a Pandora bracelet. I will have to try to do better next time.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-05, 8:12pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Nice start Chris, try also raku, intense black and maybe EDP in your stringer. I like the airy feel of your twistie, like an ostrich feather!
Old 2011-04-06, 9:47am

Thanks Pia. Much easier than making feather murrini!

- Di
Old 2011-04-06, 3:13pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Ain't that the truth? I love feather murrini, but it is painful to make And if you get your twisties really tight and just good color combo, it is so pretty! Feather murrini is pretty cool though, but just not as easy to make.
Old 2011-04-08, 3:08pm

OKay I hope someone is following this thread because I need help. I was asked to make a black bead with a white feather. WHat colors should I use for the twistie? I tried a few combo's but the just didn't do it for me.

Thanks
Chris
Old 2011-04-08, 3:20pm
Loving learning

I wonder what some thin streaks of ivory on white would do, if it would give some feathery look but still keep the idea of "white". If not maybe a pale blue or lavender (still thin so it doesn't overwhelm, just gives the definition to the white)?
Old 2011-04-08, 3:47pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I was thinking on ivory too... and maybe silvered ivory would be nice as well... Some copper green might not be bad either. I really like EDP and raku in super thin stripes, it does not over power the white or ivory, but gives it a little defenition. Good luck on this, and let us see what you come up with!
Old 2011-04-09, 10:44am

Am I wrong to press the twistie into the bead with the marver? If I don't the twistie just curls up. I wish the person didn't want the bead black. The white feather is hard to get the correct combo twistie for.
Old 2011-04-09, 3:07pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

When I apply the twistie, I make sure that the base and the twistie are both glowing. Not drippy, but hot enough for them to attach to each other. Once the tip of the twistie is where it should I apply enough heat to melt the twistie as I apply it, so that it wont pop up, or loosen up from the tip and start to curl up. I dont really press it with paddle or marver, but I guess you can do it before you melt it, just to make sure it is on the surface, but dont press it inside the base or it will not spread nicely onto the surface. I hope this explained at all. And yes, I think black is really difficult base to work with. Maybe skip the white all together and get ivory and really thin stripes of something with little color, and I think it would be great if that accent color would be also reactive. Just a thought. I wish I didnt have to work tonight, I would go onto the torch and try to give you good tips, after I acctually tried if they work.
Good luck, dont be discouraged, if it doesnt work, at least you will learn something that will make you grow as a lampworker!
Old 2011-04-09, 3:11pm

Thanks so much for your encouragement. Today was not a good day at the torch. Trying the feathers....trying a flower implosion....nothing. LOL

Chris

PS OMG! I just read your last post on your blog. I guess this happens to everyone.

Last edited by CSimi115; 2011-04-09 at 3:14pm.
Old 2011-04-09, 3:16pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I will try to add some pictures if get my camera to working... or if my hubby will help me to take the photoes... I am not expecting them to be very good, he doesnt photograph, nor does he have eye for any design, but he is a sweet heart and that will hopefully help with the photoes It might not help much, but maybe, just maybe someone will get something out of it!

But that wont happen for at least few days... work... darn it!
Old 2011-04-10, 6:44am
Ambivitreous

Pia, thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2011-04-10, 2:13pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

You are welcome!
Old 2011-04-29, 1:56pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Pia! I just did this and they turned out awesome. Not so much feathering on the sides as you got but it prolly depends on what's in the twistie and the base it's on. thanks cos I had a twistie challenge for the Firecracker meeting this weekend and I think I'm ready. Woot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
I had few requests to explain how I made my feather beads. I have gotten so much from this community, I decided that it is time to give little back.

http://piakaven.blogspot.com/2011/03...-tutorial.html

Old 2011-04-29, 1:58pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

I love these colors. Can we all share out twistie recipes? I will post pics of my beads after they come out of the kiln and post my recipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
Bethany, please post here your results, would love to see what people come up with!
This is my latest, once again was a custom order. It has 3 different feathers, but just showing one, since it is kinda pain in the rear section to take pictures of them. Excuse the lint!

Old 2011-04-29, 2:25pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

That is awesome idea Patty, I am always just too aweful of writing down my recipies, thats the only reason I couldnt give any. Please post here if you get anything worth of sharing, or give us heads up if something ends up being not so good idea. It all saves us from the trial and error!
Im so glad you had a great time at the torch. Im waiting patiently to see your photoes!
Old 2013-11-16, 4:37pm
Back to 👊 1

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2014-11-12, 6:50pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Just got someone asking about this tutorial, thought of bumping it so that it will be easier to find. Thanks yall!
Old 2015-03-02, 1:41am
Phill

I am going to give it a good bump my self and thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

This a great technique and I can see it expanding into a lot other designs.