LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-09, 6:03pm

Default Devardi Mini Annealer ??

Ok..i have a mini annealer from a Christmas present and now have a question...my turtle that i made today barely fit in there..but i had it so nothing was touching the sides, top or bottom.

my fins on the front of my turtle apparently slumped..guess that is the word. They are now resting on the bottom and are stuck there (kiln is still going thru the annealing process).

Any idea when it is finished how to get them unstuck? Also, I have a Glass Hive on order, when i get that..how do i stop this from happening in that as well.

Thanks in advance
Becky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-09, 6:24pm
Breaks Things

Wont happen in a Glass Hive, they know what they are doing when they build annealers.

You may get lucky and the legs will lift off the floor of the Devardi, but don't bet on it. You might need to try and slip a thin blade under them to pop them off, you will most likely pop them off the turtle.

Sorry, but that is the general nature of what I have tried from that supplier - sounds good, look intriguing, almost works.......

Good Luck, you'll love the Glass Hive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-09, 6:28pm
Senior Moment

Aw damn Becky; I hope he's salvagable! I have a mini annealer too, and had a bunch of rods I was trying to anneal do the same thing. They just popped off the bottom when it was cool - hopefully the turtle will do the same!

Won't happen with the Glass Hive unless something goes badly wonky (and you would know before hand). Temp control on the mini's is difficult; I actually bought a small digital thermometer to check it and make sure that didnt happen again.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.

Last edited by allicat; 2013-03-09 at 6:32pm.
Old 2013-03-09, 7:22pm
honorary bead lady

Really, Seriously?

Quote:
We have thoroughly tested this mini annealer. We tested temperature consistence, ramp down consistence and glass bounce test where the hardness of the annealed beads is tested.
Old 2013-03-09, 7:40pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Really, Seriously?

[/color]
Don't even get me started. That whole page is laughable.

Old 2013-03-09, 7:55pm
honorary bead lady

Just the page?
Old 2013-03-09, 7:57pm

I haven't had any problems with my mini since i have gotten it and i've tested the hardness my crap beads turn into stress beads..i anneal them..then throw them against the concrete floor LOL takes alot to break them that's for sure.

It works for me for small things, and for a rod warmer..it's is exactly what i was expecting...i just didn't think the fins would droop..otherwise i'd have done something different...

This wasn't a start to bash anything..just saying...

Becky
Old 2013-03-09, 8:00pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Just the page?
I'm restraining myself a bit.

Old 2013-03-09, 8:02pm
Storm Queen

I highly doubt that this modified curling iron warmer is actually annealing beads. But hey, it passed the "throw your beads against the floor" hardness test so maybe I'm totally wrong.

Old 2013-03-09, 8:02pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyNoe View Post

This wasn't a start to bash anything..just saying...

Becky
Sorry but most "D" threads just naturally lead to it
Old 2013-03-09, 8:21pm

well this was more a threat of how can i get my bead to be detached when it's done thread

that is all I care about.

BEcky
Old 2013-03-09, 8:44pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I preheat Devardi rods in the Sally Beauty Supply curling iron heater that this "mini-annealer" is based on. Devardi rods slump in it. When they stick to the lining, they pick up parts of it.

Since the turtle is stuck to the inside surface of this supposed "mini-annealer," if you get it loose and if it survives, the feet will probably have ceramic material stuck to it. My bet is that your turtle doesn't survive intact trying to pry it loose from the heater.

The Glass Hive kiln will keep a consistent temperature better than this silly "mini-annealer" does. My Sally Beauty Supply heater displays wild fluctuations in temperature. Create a mandrel holder for use inside the Glass Hive so your beads don't come close to touching the kiln floor.

Old 2013-03-09, 8:53pm

will the fins still move or slump down in the Glass Hive like it did in this? Uggh going to be a long 4 weeks before that Hive is here LOL

since this was my first turtle, it's ok if the fins have stuff on them..it's not going anywhere but here...but i sure would like to get it out intact if possible lol

Becky
Old 2013-03-09, 9:02pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
will the fins still move or slump down in the Glass Hive like it did in this?
NO, they shouldn't unless they are way to thin
Old 2013-03-09, 9:30pm
Senior Moment

Is your annealer lined Becky? Mine isn't; hence no difficulty popping the melted rods off.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-03-09, 9:51pm

No Ali..it's not lined. That's good to know David. I don't think they are too thin...but i won't know till tomorrow when i get it out. I'll have to get out my caliper and see how thick they are.

I think i'll wait to make another one till my Glass Hive gets here.

Becky
Old 2013-03-09, 10:21pm
Loving learning

Becky, if you have your GH controller set to the correct temperature it should be fine.
I believe your mini must be spiking into "slumping" temperatures.
Old 2013-03-09, 10:28pm

GH told me they will set my controller for me ..hope it's easy to use. Still trying to understand the firing requirements for glass.

Alot different then Ceramics.

Becky
Old 2013-03-10, 1:10am
offically down under

Quote:
GH told me they will set my controller for me ..hope it's easy to use. Still trying to understand the firing requirements for glass.

Alot different then Ceramics.

Becky
The Glass Hive is super easy to run. Just keep pushing buttons until something happens. Then, call Pam in a panic to find out what I did wrong. She will get it back to normal whilst very patiently telling what to push and in what order. Then, so you don't do the same stupid thing again, get a Sharpie Pen and write on the kiln, the instructions so you don't do it again.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-10, 1:31am
Unmedicated since '62

I'm not going to get into a devardi bashing session, thats just counter productive.

Throwing beads on the floor is not a test of annealing, the only way you can test if a bead is annealed is to put it in front of a polariscope. That little gadget is a curling iron heater, nothing more.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-03-10, 2:54am
I'm meeeeelting

Glass Hive will program your annealer for you before they ship it. Just let them know what programs you want. If you're worried about glass sticking, you can give the kiln floor a coat of kiln wash. If your kiln is programmed to the right temp, it shouldn't be a problem, though.

I use a curling iron stove for warming rods and it gets way hotter than it's supposed to. I've attached a rheostat to mine to control the temp. I also have a piece of graphite inside so that the rods don't stick to the ceramic if I put them back in when they're too hot.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-03-10, 6:16am

I batch anneal all my beads in a glass hive kiln, none have ever stuck to the floor. I really love my GH kiln. I know batch annealing isn't as ideal as going straight from the torch to kiln but the wiring in my studio won't support it yet. I have no input on the mini annealer from Devardi as I have never used one.

Caroline
Old 2013-03-10, 7:00am

devardi's tools are actually very good. great claw grabbers and the like.
Old 2013-03-10, 8:27am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
The Glass Hive is super easy to run. Just keep pushing buttons until something happens. Then, call Pam in a panic to find out what I did wrong.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Oh that is good!
Old 2013-03-10, 8:49am

A lot of ovens and kilns will spike temps as they heatup.
Much like older thermostats, the temp may actually be a bit warmer befor the element cycles depending on the placement of the thermo coupler, heating elemtents and openings you can also have spots that are warmer or colder.

This is why your cookies may need to be rotated to get an even color when baking, the top rack cooks faster, why the cook times vary a little between the first tray and the last.
And convection ovens are faster than traditional ovens.
You also have thermal transfer that can affect cooking times between aluminum pans and glass pans.
Not that this has anything to do with glass work just an illustration of what might be contributeing to the issues of your mini annealer.

Old 2013-03-10, 11:16am

GOOD NEWS...little Ralph's fins just popped off the bottom of the mini annealer...bad news..it looks like he's walking on tippy fins (like tippy toes) lol told the hubby he can sit over my monitor and watch me as that would be the perfect width ha ha.

Thank you for all the comments...come on GH..get here so I can make more of these cute little guys!!
Old 2013-03-10, 1:48pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
The Glass Hive is super easy to run. Just keep pushing buttons until something happens. Then, call Pam in a panic to find out what I did wrong. She will get it back to normal whilst very patiently telling what to push and in what order. Then, so you don't do the same stupid thing again, get a Sharpie Pen and write on the kiln, the instructions so you don't do it again.

LOL

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2013-03-10, 2:14pm

Tammy that is funny..sounds like something I'd do!
Old 2013-03-11, 12:58am
one day at a time

Oh boy, don't even get me started...

Too late, you already did. The "thermal shock test", which is:

Bouncing beads off the concrete floor after putting them in boiling water, and then dropping them into icy water. Oh yeah, the other thing, the radiation test.

As far as the Devardi annealer goes, there is no reason why it wouldn't work to anneal a few beads as long as the temperature can be properly monitored. I assume you would have to babysit it. Very closely. You will have much less to worry about when you get your Glasshive kiln.
Old 2013-03-11, 1:31am
Alaska Boro

From the image it appears the term "annealer" is very loosely applied IMO. Yes, there is a way to control the temperature but did not see any indication of a thermocouple or readout device.

Annealing temperature control can be done manually, but it is labor intensive. The use of a PID electronic controller simplifies the task.