Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-01, 7:24pm

Default hot head hose?

where can I buy a hose for hooking a hot head torch to a 20LB propain tank that has a regulator? Can't find one. thanks
maria ( patty cake)

Last edited by pattycake; 2013-04-03 at 3:32pm. Reason: thanks, problem solved
Old 2013-04-01, 7:42pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A hothead will not function proper with a propane tank if it has regulator that puts pressure lower than 60-75 psi...

HH torch to operate optimally generally requires full tank pressure (90 to 125 psi) to function....

For using bulk tank you need a hose that has POL (sometimes called Put On left) fitting the will fit tank valve and other end is male 1x20 "disposable cylinder" style fitting....

IF you go with regulator there are several hose combinations that will work... Best site to find piece parts and hoses and fittings is MR Heater site...

http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=58

High pressure regulators may be found here...

http://www.protanksupply.com/adjusta...regulators.asp

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-04-01 at 7:50pm.
Old 2013-04-01, 7:58pm

I was told that the Hot Head will not work properly with a Regulator and that it wasn't designed to require one. That was from them directly, so when I used mine starting out I didn't have one and just ordered the hose that they remommended. I actually purchased my hose from D&L Art Supply which had the correct fittings. Happy torching!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-04-01, 7:59pm
Pincel de Fuego

I took mine to a local car parts place and they cut and re fitted my hose with the proper connectors.... Fo freeeee cause I brought in the parts I needed.

/
/
Old 2013-04-01, 8:00pm
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
A hothead will not function proper with a propane tank if it has regulator that puts pressure lower than 60-75 psi...

HH torch to operate optimally generally requires full tank pressure (90 to 125 psi) to function....

For using bulk tank you need a hose that has POL (sometimes called Put On left) fitting the will fit tank valve and other end is male 1x20 "disposable cylinder" style fitting....

IF you go with regulator there are several hose combinations that will work...

Dale
Good to know!!!

/
/
Old 2013-04-01, 10:26pm
Salt Box Beads

Most glass suppliers sell HH torches and supplies

http://www.sundanceglass.com/hotheadr.htm
Old 2013-04-02, 4:06am

I have a hose like this and every time I try to light it ( too much O2 comes out and blows out the lighter) I was told I needed a regulator on the hose??? this is what I can not find?
Do I or not need a regulator? thanks so much for this help!!!!
maria
Old 2013-04-02, 5:07am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycake View Post
I have a hose like this and every time I try to light it ( too much O2 comes out and blows out the lighter) I was told I needed a regulator on the hose??? this is what I can not find?
Do I or not need a regulator? thanks so much for this help!!!!
maria
There is no 02 here (02 is oxygen) the problem is to much Propane...

You do NOT need a regulator... IF you choose to add one see above message.... Its been reported that some people have better luck/success when they had a high pressure regulator added to hose/tank

Its probably just your lighting technique..... Open fuel valve less till you get a flame then open it more to get size and heat..... And you have to sneak match or lighter up from under torch, do not put "lighting" flame directly in front of torch head....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...c.php?f=12&t=7

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-04-02 at 5:12am.
Old 2013-04-02, 6:07am

This time of year a lot of places will have them in stock for propane grills.
Walmart, lowes, home depo, even smaller hardwares may have them or order them in.

Old 2013-04-02, 2:01pm

thanks Dale, makes sence, will try new lighting method, losthelm- can't find regulators that fit the hose that fits the HH anywhere ( fl) even have friends looking in other parts of FL. and our local lampworking store is out of stock and won't say when they will get in. So I hope it is just my lighting problem, will go practice.
Old 2013-04-02, 2:10pm

I got a bulk connector from Artco.
Old 2013-04-02, 3:04pm

No need for a propane regulator with a hot head.
The propane operates at the same presure as the small canisters.

Old 2013-04-02, 3:21pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthelm View Post
This time of year a lot of places will have them in stock for propane grills.
Walmart, lowes, home depo, even smaller hardwares may have them or order them in.
^^^ This. Look in the section where the grills are. They're the hoses used to connect camp stoves & heaters to bulk tanks.

Old 2013-04-02, 5:10pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I got mine from Artco - Malcom sells one that's sheathed in metal braid, so the rubber hose is protected from things like flaming hot marbles or flying frit. I like that.

L-111

Old 2013-04-02, 5:43pm

I got one last year at Home Depot. It was about $18.00