Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-10-14, 2:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunset View Post
I shamed myslef to go and set up a similar situation, in my photocube, notwithstanding glare, to figure out the manual settings.

Thanks for the comment, parisgal, on wanting to have the lights "go through the translucent walls of the box. That's a good visual.

So, if the inside of my lightbox is reading 1/800 and the camera is set on F4 and 400ISO, that's probably way too fast? I'm not sure what it has been in the past but without the information on, on the camera, I had no idea it was so bright. So, I'm needing to go more on the minus side?

Thanks Scott, I'll do the experiment you suggested and check out the tutorial.

I'm sorry I jumped in on this squid. I hope I didn't distract you from getting the answer to your problem. Thank you all for that great input.
Kathy
no, you're fine - the more the merrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-14, 2:56pm

I'm using 18watt fluorescents and an Olympus C755 that does Macro and has a 10X optical zoom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-14, 3:09pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunset View Post
So, if the inside of my lightbox is reading 1/800 and the camera is set on F4 and 400ISO, that's probably way too fast? I'm not sure what it has been in the past but without the information on, on the camera, I had no idea it was so bright. So, I'm needing to go more on the minus side?
Since you've got lots of light in the box:

The first thing I'd do is change your ISO to something lower. Like 100 probably. Lower ISO, less grain.

Then I'd choose an F stop of a higher number (more depth of field) like F8.

Then I'd play the shutter settings.

*But* if you just want to play with the exposure compensation -- since you want to get rid of glare, you would tend towards the minus side. Then you'll probably have to brighten up your images in your photo editing program. And I'd still set the ISO lower either way .
Old 2008-10-14, 3:25pm

Redsunset, If your using a tripod thats to fast. Its better to use a smaller aperture. Ideally you should be in the middle of your lens openings. Example if you have a lens that ranges from F 2.8 ( wide open aperture ) to F 22 ( smallest opening ) the sweet spot for that lens would be in the middle say F 8. What I mean by sweet spot is the sharpest focus that the lens can product. So lowering the shutter speed will allow you to close down the aperture to find that spot. Also understand that you may need to trade off the sweet spot for depth of field or shutter speed. Thats ok because both of those also effect sharpness in the form of blurriness from motion or lack of depth of field.

Scott

P.S. Parisgal sneaked in. I agree. You should always set you ISO as low as you can. I also agree with the way she has prioritized.

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-10-14 at 3:32pm.
Old 2008-10-14, 3:48pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I am using the daylight (5500K) lights and a Nikon Coolpix 4300.

Hrm, that's super weird... you have basically the same setup I do. I'm afraid I'm of no use, that's a total mystery to me.

Old 2008-10-14, 4:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Hrm, that's super weird... you have basically the same setup I do. I'm afraid I'm of no use, that's a total mystery to me.
What settings do you use on your camera? BTW, I got those light bulbs after reading a post from you

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 4:15pm

I just checked out Kalera's photos. And if Squid and Kalera have the same set up then why the different out comes? Think about It. Check out Kalera's ebay photos. I'm sure you can figure out the mystery if you have been paying attention to this thread.

I'll come back with the answer in a bit if needed. But I think the lesson will sink in if you figure it out for yourself.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-10-14 at 4:18pm.
Old 2008-10-14, 4:21pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:

I just wanted to say that I think this bead is freaking amazing!!!!!

Old 2008-10-14, 4:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
I just wanted to say that I think this bead is freaking amazing!!!!!
Thank you - that is SOO nice of you to say! I do believe you just made my day

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 4:39pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
I just checked out Kalera's photos. And if Squid and Kalera have the same set up then why the different out comes? Think about It. Check out Kalera's ebay photos. I'm sure you can figure out the mystery if you have been paying attention to this thread.

I'll come back with the answer in a bit if needed. But I think the lesson will sink in if you figure it out for yourself.
Scott
I have always admired Kalera's photos so I didn't even have to go look to know what they looked like - is it the glass she uses under her beads?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 4:47pm

Nope! But close. Continue that train of thought

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-10-14 at 4:51pm.
Old 2008-10-14, 4:58pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Well, she also has gradient under her beads - I do too, but I am using a lighter area.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 5:10pm

Squid, The simple answer is she is not shooting on white ( shooting on white is much harder than people think ). Thus not confusing the cameras meter. Although you may be shooting on a gradient your shooting closer to the white part then the black part. When shooting in macro or close up the camera only sees a very tiny part of the back ground. That is very important to remember. The glass back ground also absorbs light. So Kalera is really shooting on a deeper grey then what one would think just by look at the set.

So play with the compensation setting and things will fall into place.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-10-14 at 5:14pm.
Old 2008-10-14, 5:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Ah, ok. One more question for now . This is my actual original uncropped pic:

Does that change anything? Since it is actually a pic of a much larger area than just the bead?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 5:20pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
What settings do you use on your camera? BTW, I got those light bulbs after reading a post from you
I use the default settings for macro mode... I do have an older model of Coolpix, but I really can't see that making that much difference.

Old 2008-10-14, 5:22pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Ah, ok. One more question for now . This is my actual original uncropped pic:

Does that change anything? Since it is actually a pic of a much larger area than just the bead?
Aha! Yes, that changes everything. See if you can the camera really close to the bead; that will make your difference!

Old 2008-10-14, 5:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I can zoom in, but if I physically move any closer, it won't focus - if I recall correctly. I will have to try.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 5:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

OK - I am going to go try a couple a pics.

DOG is my co-pilot

How your getting it. But shouldn't the lower part of the image be white? There is still so much white that the meter is still under compensating. That photo is one stop under exposed. It's a great example of how the meter gets confused. Now that there is more surface area for the meter to read it has come alot closer. In fact the silver is only a half stop off.

Give me a minute and I'll adjust it in photoshop with levels
Be right back
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-10-14 at 5:59pm.
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Thank you Scott - I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 5:29pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
I can zoom in, but if I physically move any closer, it won't focus - if I recall correctly. I will have to try.
If your camera is it full macro mode, you should be able to get within an inch of the lens, and in fact it won't focus properly if it's too far away.

Old 2008-10-14, 5:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Ok - let me try again

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 5:32pm
I'm a lilac!

For example, this image is un-cropped:

That's how close my camera was to the beads. Can you describe the steps you go through to get to macro mode? There is another mode that brings a "flower" icon up that's not true macro mode, I'm wondering if it's possible that you're in that mode.

Old 2008-10-14, 5:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am in "scene" on the wheel and there is a little flower beside the mode I use - it is called "close up" in the sub menu.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 5:39pm

Ok Squid here is your photo with a little tweak with levels in photoshop. But Like I said the over all photo was about a full stop underexposed and the chain was about a half. This tweak is about one stop open. and the chain is now about one half over . I needed to push it a bit to get the bead to pop. Like I said some times you just have to find a trade off you can live with.

With that said if you wanted to spend the time retouching every detail with photoshop you could fix almost any thing But that is another chapter.

Try moving onto part of the darker part of the gradient and see what happens

Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-10-14 at 5:51pm.
Old 2008-10-14, 5:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That does look a lot better - I think I need new software, but I am going to take some more pics before I decide that for sure.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 5:49pm

Squid, If your going to publish you need the right tools. However You may already have what you need. Check out your cameras soft ware or other soft ware you have for the Histogram i.e. Levels.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-10-14 at 5:54pm.
Old 2008-10-14, 6:04pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
I am in "scene" on the wheel and there is a little flower beside the mode I use - it is called "close up" in the sub menu.
OK, I'm not familiar with your model, but with mine there is the "close up" mode, which causes one white flower to appear on the screen, and there is ALSO a "macro" mode, which causes two yellow flowers to appear. In order to get into "macro" mode, I have to push the "menu" button and select "macro" from the list of settings.

Old 2008-10-14, 6:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
OK, I'm not familiar with your model, but with mine there is the "close up" mode, which causes one white flower to appear on the screen, and there is ALSO a "macro" mode, which causes two yellow flowers to appear. In order to get into "macro" mode, I have to push the "menu" button and select "macro" from the list of settings.
I don't have a separate macro mode, but I just took some more pics and was able to focus within about 2 inches of the lens. I will post a couple here in just a sec

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-14, 6:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I can't, however, control the ISO in the close-up mode. I could change Exp Compensation, but the ISO defaults to auto.

ETA - damnit, I just double checked the shooting data and the Exp Compensation doesn't stay changed either. grrr....

DOG is my co-pilot

Last edited by squid; 2008-10-14 at 6:11pm.