Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-10-09, 8:01am

Default Beginner Question on Ornaments, Please

Hi all, I'm a quiet lurker and boro beginner but am trying to make some ornaments as gifts for the upcoming season. I'm doing well blowing the bubbles and decorating them, but not sure how to put the hook on top without collapsing or exploding the bubble. I'm assuming the hook goes on the tube side of the bubble???

There are tons of videos on making them, but every one seems to end before attaching the hook. Any assistance much appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2011-10-09, 8:26am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I'm not a boro person at all but I *think* what you do is attach a clear punty to the end opposite the tube, burn off the tube, make a maria on another solid rod of clear boro and use the maria to seal the hole the tube left and as you pull away form the hook with the same rod that you sealed the hole with. Then hold onto the ornament with tweezers or a grabber by the loop and burn off the punty you cold sealed to the other end.

Does that make sense?

I'm sure ppl who actually know what they're doing will chime in soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-09, 10:08am
is

Take a 7mm rod, and make a loop to the top of it, or make a solid ball and use a tungsten pick to make a hole in it..................
Old 2011-10-09, 1:47pm

Thanks for the replies. I think I've worked out a method. We'll see tomorrow.

Old 2011-10-09, 4:48pm

here goes. Pull a point twice the size that you need for one ornament, because you can do the prep for two ornaments at the same time. Put a constriction near the shoulders on both sides and then pull apart in the middle. make test tube bottoms, ie melt the glass in where you pulled the points apart and make sure they're the same wall thickness as the rest of the tube. Then blow up your ornament. The loop you pull out where the constriction is, almost to the shape you need. let it cool. cut the end of the loop with a knife and with low heat finish making the loop shape, making sure you don't close off the hole in your loop. you need to keep the airline in the loop so the bubble remains open. you will trap condensation from your breath in the bubble as you blow it up and the hole in the loop will prevent trapping the condensation inside the bubble, making in unsightly when it hangs in the sun or a warm place. the hole allows the condensation to escape. try to avoid fully closed hollow objects altogether, you'll end up having no end of trouble!

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2011-10-09 at 4:50pm.
Old 2011-10-09, 5:15pm
Borovangelist

I do something sorta kinda, maybe not really similar. I make my ornament then "flame anneal" it to help keep it from cracking as I bench cool it in the point rack. Once it's cool, and still on the blow tube, I score the tube a couple of inches from the ornament, break it off, flame polish the end, and use the tweezers and a gentle flame to help bend the hollow tubing into a hook.

It looks nice, it's all one piece, and it's open to let the air move.

|
|
Old 2011-10-12, 3:00pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I do something sorta kinda, maybe not really similar.

Bawhahahhahahaaaa

ya Tom!!!

Old 2011-10-17, 2:08pm

Ok made some of these last night and annealed them... http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...62881694_n.jpg (nothing special)
but that big red one...about two seconds after taking photo exploded. 0o
Old 2011-10-17, 5:37pm

That sucks that it broke they look great.

Old 2011-10-17, 6:05pm
Glassy Broad :-)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/patienthand

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^
One of the best (IMHO) tutorials on ornaments ever!
I learned so very much from this one, it's scary LOL!!!
Just my .02 worth

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2011-10-17, 6:42pm

I started an ornament exchange in the Patio come on over and play every one

#C-151
Old 2011-10-17, 8:39pm
Borovangelist

Was the one that blew up sealed? That sometimes happens. I had one blow up in the kiln once, scared the tar out of me. Thank goodness for thick kiln brick blast doors LOL

|
|
Old 2011-10-17, 8:49pm

Ya it was sealed..take it thats a no-no.
Old 2011-10-18, 4:31am

Thanks for all the replies! I've actually worked out a couple different methods. All my ornaments so far are sealed and I've had no troubles with any exploding. They are stored in my shop which is not heated until we reach hard freezes. I guess that's a pretty good test. Maybe this weekend I'll get brave and post some pictures!

Old 2011-10-18, 7:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
Ya it was sealed..take it thats a no-no.
Sealing them when they are hot creates a vacuum in the ornament.
Old 2011-10-18, 1:53pm
Always Improving

I have the patienthand tutorial and it is really good (at least for me).

I have used several of these instructions to refine and improve ornament production.

Mike...
Old 2011-10-19, 3:20am
Catchen' the Sun

I have Candice's (Patienthand) tutorial also. Its great for a newbie. which I am. I am going to try some ornaments this week or next I am so far not very good at it so thanks for all the tips everyone.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2011-10-25, 6:24am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have a tutorial for ornaments and there are multiple ways of making hooks in there.. some hollow, some solid

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-10-25, 10:01am

Thanks Candice, I received my copy of your tut., Thank You!

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]