No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-26, 1:34am
No Longer an LE Member

Default Bead cleaning

O.K. I have what seems like a simple question but I am almost willing to bet I will get all sorts of answers and some that are very different.

How do you clean your beads?

I know I clean my beads a bit different than a friend of mine cleans hers. So I started wondering how many methods people use and perhaps maybe I can learn something new. To me it is a time consuming chore that I do not care for. Maybe all this time I have been doing it wrong and there is an easier way.
Old 2006-03-26, 1:38am
Entropy increasing....

I use a diamond needle file and soapy water.
Old 2006-03-26, 2:15am
Greykat Inspired...

Warm water and a beam reamer or else the diamond file. It is a boring job but then somebody has to do it. (or is that what the husband is good for??)

Louise

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-26, 4:09am

i use a dremel tool with a diamond bit..it works great, always knew my husband's tools would come in handy...
Old 2006-03-26, 7:24am
1st Glass Beads

if you use a dremel, do you use it under water? If so, do you use a cordless dremel or corded one? I have one with a cord and don't want to go buy another one if I don't "have" to.
Sarah
Old 2006-03-26, 7:52am
Crispy Critter

I use an electric bead reamer with interchangeable tips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-26, 8:17am

I use an electric dremel with a "flex-shaft" and a diamond bit in warm water. I hang the dremel from a hook. Less weight to hold and the bit is what comes in contact with the water...no water near the electric part of the tool.
Kay
Old 2006-03-26, 11:41am
Insane? You're Insane!

If you use a dremel, does it take away some of the glass? I am afraid that I would end up with a huge hole. Sometimes I just don't know when to stop!
Old 2006-03-26, 12:09pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn L'Rhe
I use an electric dremel with a "flex-shaft" and a diamond bit in warm water. I hang the dremel from a hook. Less weight to hold and the bit is what comes in contact with the water...no water near the electric part of the tool.
Kay
That's exactly how I do it.

You can end up grinding the hole out unevenly until you get the hang of it, but once you do, it's the fastest, easiest and most thorough way I've found so far.

Old 2006-03-26, 10:47pm

adjustable speed dremel (electric), diamond bit, in a small dish of water....soak the beads overnight, dip the bit, pick up the bead, "drill" it out while it's "soggy"--dip it again (both bit & bead) when I flip it over & do the other side...fast & easy--not really "underwater"....I hold the dremel/bead inside the bowl so I'm not splattering muddy stuff everywhere, but I'm not actually using the electric tool "in water" either...just dipping the bit/bead to keep it "wet"...so far, so good....
(oh & I've been cleaning my beads BEFORE they go for batch annealing....so....maybe thats why they drill out fairly easily? I'm using fosterfire @ the moment....I figure if they stand up to the dremel, they'll stand up to the USPS on their way to my friend with the kiln )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-03-27, 8:26am

Wireless re-chargeable Dremel with looooong (3") pointy diamond bur, under gently running water in the sink, over a container to collect the sludge before it goes down the drain. All very carefully to avoid chipping the bead hole lip.

JanMD
Old 2006-03-27, 7:09pm

I got a cordless dremel for Christmas from hubby but have been afraid to try it. Used it for the first time this week, and will never, never use anything else again! So easy and it cleaned out the hole in seconds. I always hated the cleaning job, but now it was a snap. Invest in a cordless dremel!
pat
Old 2006-03-27, 8:56pm
PyronamixK

I sit down with a tub of hot water, some paper towels, and a diamond file. I like to clean while watching movies.
Old 2006-03-28, 6:50pm

I used to use a Dremel after soaking the beads in water. What I didn't like was the resulting frosted look of the hole that resulted from the Dremel's diamond bit. Then I switched to Bucket o Mud bead release and a threaded bead reamers (www.timberwolfstudios.net). After I remove the beads from their mandrels, I soak them in vinegar (Some use Coke, though I've found no real difference.) Using the threaded bead reamer will clean the hole better than any other method I've used. It's the combination of the bead release and the reamer that results in such a really clean hole without that frosted appearance.
Old 2006-03-28, 6:58pm

I use Fusion bead release, and it comes out clean by just rubbing the mandrel up and down inside it. I've rarely had to do anything else.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-03-29, 3:38am
No Longer an LE Member

I expected I would get several different answers. The thing I didn't expect was to get so many that are pretty much the same. I use the dremel, flex shaft and diamond bead reamer method also. My friend uses a Warter Pic and she says it cleans her beads just fine and no "frosted" appearance. I am not yet ready to run out and get a water pic but she swears by it.
Old 2006-03-29, 9:32am
PyronamixK

I also have one of those battery operated nail care kit thingies. I take my diamond file and stick it in there, sometimes, when I want to ream a little faster and I'm not watching a movie.
Old 2006-03-30, 12:25am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Your friend uses just a Water Pik? Cool... I'll have to try that and see what happens.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-03-30, 2:06am
No Longer an LE Member

Yes Tink, she says she uses just a Water Pik. I believe she uses Foster Fire bead release. She says she soaks the beads in warm water for a bit then uses the stream of water to remove the release. She says it works like a charm. I do a lot of hollows and she says it is great for clearing out the bits that fall into the hollow bead. Being a bit of a cynic I am still not convinced or else it seems like a lot more people would be using this method. I have seen her beads and they are clean, I just wonder if a Water Pik can really be that effective.
Old 2006-03-30, 5:22am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I have a Water Pik that I bought just to clean out my hollow beads and blown vessels. I wish I wasn't on my way to the airport right now so I could try it for getting the release off it the bead itself! I'm cynical, too, but I've been surprised before

Also Available in

Old 2006-03-30, 5:40am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Ok. I just had to try it. It didn't work very well for me. I'm using Alice's bead release. Anyone else?

Also Available in

Old 2006-12-20, 8:07am

looking for new diamond tips for dremel, esp. NOT tapered. i seem to crack beads by pusing too far in the hole, if it wasnt tapered i wouldnt do that.
suggestions?
thanks
ro
Old 2006-12-20, 10:08am
one day at a time

Inspiration Toolworks makes the best dremel diamond bits I have ever used. They are straight, not tapered. I've had mine about a year and it is still working great. Problem is, they are out of stock. I'm hoping they will get some back in soon, because I really don't want to use any other kind.

http://www.inspirationtoolworks.com/lampworking/0014/

I would like to try a hand file because sometimes I chip the holes on my beads that have more "flush" than "dimpled" holes.
Old 2006-12-21, 8:39am

thanks!!!!!!!!!!
ro