Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-23, 3:33am
what's a senior moment ?

Default Another "What happened to my bead".......

Ok, this one is Lauscha base, Moretti dots and vine cane, Lauscha clear . Made on Friday, came out of the kiln Saturday with all these cracks ! And I have a second one, exact same colors, I did yesterday that came out of the kiln the very same way ! UGH ! Both annealed the right way. Made other encased flower beads with different colors with no problem. So, "What happened to my beads ? " lol !
The colors: Lauscha #LO1425 Hawaiian Purple (base), Moretti 272 Pastel Violet and 256 Dark Pink dots and encased with Lauscha clear.
I am not happy with the cracks but at least the petals DID NOT SMEAR ! lol ! Which was my objective. This is only my second "successful" encased flower bead . I say successful because the flowers did not smear when I encased. lol!
Got any ideas what may of happened ?
Thanks,
Debbie A.

Old 2006-04-23, 5:08am
Viking Flame Keeper

Two words.

Lauscha Purple.

Every time I use it as a base colour the bead cracks. Sad but true.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-23, 6:13pm
what's a senior moment ?

oh, that is too bad Kikki 'cause it's such a pretty color ! Hubby really liked it. Oh well.,.....
Thanks very much for the info.
Debbie
Old 2006-04-23, 10:03pm

Default purples and pinks are hard to encase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla
Ok, this one is Lauscha base, Moretti dots and vine cane, Lauscha clear . Made on Friday, came out of the kiln Saturday with all these cracks ! And I have a second one, exact same colors, I did yesterday that came out of the kiln the very same way ! UGH ! Both annealed the right way. Made other encased flower beads with different colors with no problem. So, "What happened to my beads ? " lol !
The colors: Lauscha #LO1425 Hawaiian Purple (base), Moretti 272 Pastel Violet and 256 Dark Pink dots and encased with Lauscha clear.
I am not happy with the cracks but at least the petals DID NOT SMEAR ! lol ! Which was my objective. This is only my second "successful" encased flower bead . I say successful because the flowers did not smear when I encased. lol!
Got any ideas what may of happened ?
Thanks,
Debbie A.

The Purples and Pinks in every Line are the tough colors to work in,I know one thing for certain, when I use the under lauscha clear i reheat my bead up well and let cool slightly before i place it in the annealer (kiln) bring that bead to a nice smooth glow evenly and wait till it's just ready to sit in kiln and try this, I have had much luch with this way of dealing with clear lauscha on everything but have not had problems with other colors as much as twhe pinks and purples, it's the same in every glass, the pinks and purples have loads more metals in them than the other glass and are more delicate to work in. Pleaze let us know how this works out, also the larger size beads in purple's can be a bit intimidating, reheat them fully before annealing, thats one big postiove step towawrds sucess, Hope this helps you out, Monique

"Well Behaved Woman Rarely Make history"
Old 2006-04-24, 4:30am
lov'in life!!!

If I have encased with Lauscha, I make sure to put it in the kiln, still glowing but not moving...if that makes any sense. Lauscha likes to be HOT when garaged. I don't have this problem anymore and this is what I different. I only got cracking problems a couple of times but when I follow this method, it seems to work. Good luck

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-04-24, 4:56am

Those aren't thermal cracks, they're incompatability cracks. Thermals run up and down your mandrel, not crossways.

I've heard the Lauscha purples don't like to be encased. That's my guess anyways.
Old 2006-04-24, 5:45am
lov'in life!!!

Hi Lenda I had sideways cracks on all of the ones that I had problems with. I still have the beads and none of them ran "around" the bead, only sideways, mandrel to mandrel. So this is NOT an imcompatability issue then? This is good to know. I've never heard that before. I made the very same beads the next day, same glass, same rods, garaged them much hotter and they ALL came out fine. This is what I have done from now on and luckily, no problems. Thanks for the info

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-04-24, 5:52am
Formerly SirWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikki
Two words.

Lauscha Purple.

Every time I use it as a base colour the bead cracks. Sad but true.
Yep...I've found this to be true too. Unfortunately. It's a goregous color, though.

<><
Old 2006-04-24, 6:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer
Hi Lenda I had sideways cracks on all of the ones that I had problems with. I still have the beads and none of them ran "around" the bead, only sideways, mandrel to mandrel. So this is NOT an imcompatability issue then? This is good to know. I've never heard that before. I made the very same beads the next day, same glass, same rods, garaged them much hotter and they ALL came out fine. This is what I have done from now on and luckily, no problems. Thanks for the info
Hi Krissa

Up and down the mandrel is a thermal issue and if you're encasing with lauscha especially, heating it back to red before putting in the kiln works for that. The lauscha clear is more viscous than the moretti and cools quicker, even though they're close to the same COE. Yup, up and down the mandrel is heat not incompatability.
Old 2006-04-24, 9:26am
what's a senior moment ?

All great advise and tips ! Thanks to all of you. Will just keep tryin' ! lol !
Debbie A.