Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-09, 6:23pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Default devit from edp blowing all over my beads!

Does anyone have a clue how to use EDP stringer and not get devit blown all over the bead? I thought about encasing the edp in clear and then pulling stringer but I don't know if that would stop it.

I made a series of black with edp scrolling and they have devit all over them! I tried my toilet bowl cleaner - "The Works" but it didn't work (I guess it should say WORKS on toilets but not beads silly) My Walmart doesn't have Wink which I've seen others use. Coke - nope, nothing so I tried lightly etching - and I mean swishing the bead and then rinsing and it etching the whole thing.

I've seen that tutorial and it works well for beads made of edp I can even make beads from edp if I keep them hot and not mess around too much- my problem is I'm using EDP as stringer decoration and getting "blow-over devit" all over the rest of the bead. I can't heat too much in the flame or the stringer will melt in or distort. Plus I have to cool the bead to some degree to add other decoration and the problem just explodes when I put the bead back into a good flame.

I really like edp but this is killing me....any ideas?
Thanks!
Audra
Old 2005-07-10, 5:46am
Back from the Dark Side

The one thing I have learned about EDP is it doesn't like being flashed in the flame. This is what causes the devitrification. You almost have to heat it to glowing to keep this from happening. If you can get the stringer applied and the other decoration before putting it back into the flame, you may be okay, but it will be tough! Another alternative would be to try Lauscha opaque lavender. The color is similar to edp, with no devit, and lauscha is stiffer. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-07-10, 5:59am
boro color bender

Buff the bad boys! Rouge and a polishing wheel do wonders for soft glass.

If that doesn't work... i don't know what will.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-07-10, 6:40am
Professional Bead Pimp

Put the EDP on LAST and DO NOT reheat it. This may not be possible with some bead designs, so I avoid it by only doing designs that allow me to do this.

If you HAVE to reheat, then ALL the EDP must be brought back to low red heat and then the entire bead removed from the flame and allowed to cool. At this point, look at it and see if the devit is gone.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-07-10, 7:29am
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

I didn't even think to check lauscha - just got some glassdaddy glass in but not that. I'll switch in a heartbead. Goodbye stupid edp that ruins my pretty beads!!!

Mr. Smiley - I had thought of that but don't know what to use. I've heard others using thier dremel but what kind of polish should I get? The Zam stuff or something else?

You guys are awesome!!

Audra
Old 2005-07-10, 8:53am
Life in the slow lane

You can encase the EDP and it will work better. Of course you've gotten some great tips already.

Old 2005-07-10, 11:39am
boro color bender

I use the dremel with a little polishing wheel and some rouge... or the green polish. I can't tell the diff. Whatever is closer to the dremel is what I use at the time.

The cotton wheels last a long time... the felt looking ones will work, but keep it slower or they'll spin off.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-07-10, 12:12pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Thanks - I'll look at my Rio tools catalog and see what is in there. I was just starting to dabble in silversmithing and realized it would be a terribly expensive addiction/addition to my current glass addiction. This simple rouge and cotton wheel may lead to terrible things Brent.... So if my Visa starts smokin' I'm going to blame you! (I have to blame someone!)

Audra
Old 2005-07-12, 7:47pm
High Maintenance

What is EDP?
Old 2005-07-12, 7:48pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Evil Detrifying Purple - moretti 254 I think. It is a pretty purple/orchid color that is beautiful but just plain nasty to work with.
Old 2005-07-13, 3:14am
Professional Bead Pimp

Effetre/Moretti Fuscia Purple #254.

Interestingly, I've never gotten 'Fuscia Purple' as a color in a bead. I always end up with a darker translucent purple. The Itialians always say we use too much heat on their precious glass, maybe thats it.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-07-13, 4:48pm
High Maintenance

Ok, another newbie question. What's detrifying? Is there some sort of lampworkers glossary where a novice can learn all this stuff?

Thanks,
Heather
Old 2005-07-13, 4:51pm
Back from the Dark Side

Devitrifying is when a color turns chalky or scummy. It is related to the cooling and heating temp of glass. I think you have probably found the best glossary...any one here that knows the answer will help

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-07-13, 8:11pm

my latest EDP beads are selling for $32

me and EDP have a love affair!! LOL

Old 2006-04-03, 9:21pm

So please tell me your secret to that beautiful set. I have a hard time with edp but yours looks so great what gives.

Michelle
aka Mommawoodsy

Old 2006-04-04, 10:45am

Cheryl:

Niiiiice! You got it down!

Joanna
Old 2006-04-05, 4:22pm
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherishbear

I usually have good luck with EDP too *IF* I am making beads like Cheryl's. Cheryl's are impressive because she was able to add black dots to some of them and still keep a shiny EDP surface. You'd have to add that black, and melt the dots without heating the EDP or you have to add the black and then reheat the entire bead while you melt the dots into shape and be done with it. Or maybe she has a better way she can tell you.

As long as I can re-heat the entire bead without going back afterward, the color is great and there is no devit. Trying to make beads with EDP stringer is another thing altogether. You have to be really good at doing the stringer work all at one time, and then pop it right into the kiln.... or you have to be able to let the entire bead cool and then reheat it all at one time without losing your stringer design and THEN pop it in the kiln. In other words, don't go back after reheating. Oh, and trying to encase it before you use it will cause the color to fade a lot. At least that's my experience when I tried using it in encased floral beads.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-04-05, 8:54pm

Default Edp

Very Very Nice, actually, ToTallY AwEsOmE, awesome!!!!

you beat the EDP!!

wow, Monique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherishbear

"Well Behaved Woman Rarely Make history"
Old 2006-04-06, 4:23am
More glass...more glass..

Hmmm....sometimes I *want* the EDP to devitrify...it can give a "soft" etch look to a piece where the glass has gradiations of etched and non-etched glass. For example, in the vessel at the link below. This is exactly the look I was going for

http://www.hoolooglassworks.com/imag...yblossoms2.JPG

I'm just saying that devit *can* be your friend in some cases.

edz
Old 2006-04-06, 6:10am

EDP likes hothead torches (at least it likes mine....and I use straight propane in a BBQ tank) probably because they aren't very "hot"...
my beads still s**k but the edp looks pretty on them....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2006-04-06 at 6:19am.