Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-07-03, 2:44am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Default mystery aventurine!

how cool is this colour! I love it! Was just wondering what stuff other people have made with it.....I have tried reducing it and have gotten a blue haze...what other cool stuff does it do?

COULD A MOD FIX THE TITLE PLEASE? i originally wanted to ask something else but worked out what I was doing wrong....so i would like the title to be mystery aventurine please.....

Last edited by Leanne; 2007-07-03 at 4:13pm. Reason: title
Old 2007-07-03, 8:00am
ManBearPig

If you work it really hot and burn off all the haze, then let it cool and strike it, you will get a nice purple metallic color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-05, 10:00am
yukue fumei

if you put it over some dark transparent colors, you get a cool haze around it(sorry for the blown out pic in the sunlight, but you get the idea ):

nagi

Old 2007-07-05, 10:18am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Hey! I've got that color! Whoohoo ! off to search my mystery adventurine!

Denise, what a beauty!

Old 2007-07-05, 6:23pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I've never gotten purple! Wow I love this colour even more!!!! Thanks for the tip cosmo and the photo nagi!
Old 2007-07-06, 5:52am

It turns out kind of like a sparkly AP when you implode it. I like it.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-07-06, 7:07am
Hummel factory reject

I had a nice specimen of M.A. from my N.S. sample set. It was rather opaque and wow so many color possiblities. So, I ordered a pound. What I received was transparent green rods with some sparkle. Just not the same stuff... Ugh!
Consistency is a problem with quite a few colors and suppliers. Sometimes I think I'm being sold seconds? Wonder if the inconsistency is from the factory?
Wah Wah, sorry to be a Debby Downer...

Old 2007-07-06, 7:10am
ManBearPig

All the Mystery Aventurine I've ever seen is a semi-transparent green sparkle in rod form...

Old 2007-07-06, 7:25am
yukue fumei

Suzanne and Leanne-thanks!

Lori-- have several different ones too....one opaque(lighter color), one transluscent(hard to strike!) and one new transparent batch(looks a little bit like the old transparent Mill Moss but with less sparkle) ....this is one color I will ask what the rods look like....Mill Moss is another one....

for newbies, here is the Northstar newsletter that shows the difference between the opaque and transluscent rods:
http://www.northstarglass.com/newsletters/15.pdf

nagi

Old 2007-07-06, 9:12am
Hummel factory reject

Interesting... Thanks Nagi! Wish it was feasible to select my glass. I like the opaque M.A. More magic!

Old 2007-07-07, 3:33am
Nah, not really...;)

kiko, just ask when you're ordering what the rods look like...I've done this w/ certain colors and 'most' suppliers don't mind.

Old 2007-07-07, 3:34am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
if you put it over some dark transparent colors, you get a cool haze around it(sorry for the blown out pic in the sunlight, but you get the idea ):
Very, very cool bead!

Old 2007-07-07, 6:52am
Hummel factory reject

Thanks Carrie! In the future I will ask for the M.A. with opaque magical mojo!

Old 2007-07-07, 7:04am
yukue fumei

Carrie--thanks so much!

Lori-I want MA with OPMMO too please....

nagi

Old 2007-07-07, 2:05pm
Hummel factory reject

mmmmmm magical mojo.... Nagi I have 1/2 rod of MA with O.M.M. I would surely give you half of it!

Old 2007-07-07, 2:54pm
yukue fumei

Lori- I would never ask you to share half a rod--that is so very kind of you--thank you so much!!!!! It is such a gorgeous color! I am putting my feelers out to see if there is more out there.....I am back to my crazy bead lady emails again! he he! if I find any, I will definitely let you know!!!

nagi

Old 2007-07-07, 4:09pm
Hummel factory reject

Do let me know if you "score" some O.M.M. I've got the transparent sparkle and I can't get it to do shiznit except a mild green sparkle. I'll mix it with some PC/NS silver pearl and see if I can summon some magic.

Old 2007-07-07, 9:23pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

mines opaque neener neener neener !!!!! I got it from peppertown here in australia who are the arrowsprings distributors over here.
Old 2007-07-08, 7:47am
yukue fumei

Lori-cool!

Leanne--you lucky girl you!

nagi

Old 2007-07-08, 8:31am
crabby...who me?

The rod of MA I got in a small sample pack was kind of opaque.I ordered some and got the more transparent version.Both looked the same melted up in pendants.
Jeff
Old 2007-07-09, 6:02pm
yukue fumei

Hi Lori-
I am confirming on the opaque MA at one place....they are going to get back to me on whether it is the opaque or transluscent version and how much they have......keeping fingers crossed......

nagi

Old 2007-07-10, 7:40am
Hummel factory reject

Go Nagi Go!!!

Old 2007-07-10, 12:55pm
yukue fumei

hmmm I think they don't have it.....I need to send them a pic to confirm.

But got 2 rods from Flametree... when they get here I will send you one

nagi

Old 2007-07-11, 4:20am
Furball

I had the same proplem with a batch a while ago and when I ordered some more I asked for the newest batch they received as possible and it was good. It seems the thinner rods that I recently got produce the nicest colors.

If you have a hard time getting that gorgeous purple, ramp the kiln up to 1150-1200 for an hour or so and it will pop right out. I do that with DAP and persimmon quite alot.
Old 2007-07-11, 12:01pm
yukue fumei

ok- got a confirmation that the one vendor has the transluscent batch, not the opaque batch.
another vendor is not sure..they can't tell if the rod is transluscent or opaque....my guess is that it is not opaque, but I will buy it anyway just in case.
...and the Flametree opaque rods are in transit! Woot!

nagi

Old 2007-07-12, 4:51am
Furball

Wale Apparatus has it. Ask for Dan, he know the issue and tell him you want the new good skiny batch.
Old 2007-07-12, 5:41am
ManBearPig

Just a little FYI for everyone....

The batches are the same. I have probably 30 rods here. Some are opaque, some are somewhat translucent, and some are very translucent. I made a bunch of test pieces with various rods last night, and they all came out looking the same.

I know Northstar says there is a difference, but if there is, I can't see one. I did some plain beads, some encased beads, some implosion pendants, used it to do the back decorations on some marbles, etc. I've used so much Mystery Aventurine that I'm pretty much sick of it by now. When they came out of the kiln, I can't tell them apart.

I annealed them at 1050 for three hours and then ramped to 1100 for 30 minutes before ramping down.

Old 2007-07-12, 12:02pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by hestias_hearth View Post
Wale Apparatus has it. Ask for Dan, he know the issue and tell him you want the new good skiny batch.
Thanks hestias hearth!
BTW-is the good skinny batch transparent, opaque or transluscent? LOL!

nagi

Old 2007-07-12, 12:08pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Just a little FYI for everyone....

The batches are the same. I have probably 30 rods here. Some are opaque, some are somewhat translucent, and some are very translucent. I made a bunch of test pieces with various rods last night, and they all came out looking the same.

I know Northstar says there is a difference, but if there is, I can't see one. I did some plain beads, some encased beads, some implosion pendants, used it to do the back decorations on some marbles, etc. I've used so much Mystery Aventurine that I'm pretty much sick of it by now. When they came out of the kiln, I can't tell them apart.

I annealed them at 1050 for three hours and then ramped to 1100 for 30 minutes before ramping down.
that is very interesting and useful info Chad--thanks!! Maybe it is the kiln time that is part of the factor.
For me, the opaque rods seem to strike and turn purple faster, but maybe it is a subjective evaluation....I will also do a test and see what is up. Thanks so much for the heads up....

nagi

Old 2007-07-12, 12:36pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
that is very interesting and useful info Chad--thanks!! Maybe it is the kiln time that is part of the factor.
For me, the opaque rods seem to strike and turn purple faster, but maybe it is a subjective evaluation....I will also do a test and see what is up. Thanks so much for the heads up....
I strike them in the kiln, so I'm not sure which ones turn purple faster.